Graduates in here... Let's give ourselves a pat on the back!

alx

alx

Soldato
For non integrated masters it something like this

Distinction is a First
Merit is a 2:1
Pass is a 2:2

Anything less than, you fail.

It's not quite that simple. A pass is over 40% in a Masters usually, whereas a 2:2 is normally for grades over 50%.

That's my experience anyway.

Associate
First Class (Hons) in Architecture at Newcastle Uni.

Shortlisted for RIBA Northeastern Student Awards.

Absolutely over the moon! Never expected the degree let alone the nomination.

YES!!!!!! :D:D:D

Soldato
Congratulations everyone.

Got my results today. First in Computer Science :) Considering I left school with nothing better than a D I'm pretty chuffed I managed to turn it round.

Soldato
Anyone worried about getting a 2:2, dont. Its a perfectly acceptable grade and you should be proud of yourself for getting in and out of your degree in one piece with that bit of paper (unless you have just completed a degree in golf course management or wine tasting). Its not always about the grade either, its about the individual and how you conduct yourself.

Associate
Graduated with a 2;1 in mechanical engineering and start my new job on Monday. Working for a bio-decontamination company :) times are looking up and the money will be good too. :)

/pat on everyone's back

Associate
Anyone worried about getting a 2:2, dont. Its a perfectly acceptable grade and you should be proud of yourself for getting in and out of your degree in one piece with that bit of paper (unless you have just completed a degree in golf course management or wine tasting). Its not always about the grade either, its about the individual and how you conduct yourself.
Ironically golf course management courses are one of the better courses for employability according to stats. Something about it in the times newspaper.

Soldato
Just got my result.

MEng (Hons) in Aeronautical Engineering at Bristol - 2:1

Boom!

Got 3 final stage interviews for recruitment consultancy next week. Life is on track!!

Soldato
Quantity Surveying BSc Hons - 2:1 (Glasgow Caledonian University) completed part time , so no debt and earning a fairly decent crust from day one of the degree

xrs

xrs

Associate
2.1 in History. Going to set up my own business providing properties for students. Allready got 2 and looking for a third - so will spend more time on that. Probably get some bar work or something in the mean time to occupy myeself.

Soldato

A lot of the financial firms I've looked at will consider graduates with a 2:2 but only in decent numerical-based degrees.

The whole blanket 2:1 minimum culture seems a bit unfair to me. A 2:2 in something like Physics is IMO far more respectable than even a 1st in many other disciplines.

I've always been bitter as I had 12 exams this year and had to work seriously hard. Yet loads of people had about 4 exams in total (some even open book) but loads of group projects/coursework/essays. In fact it seems standard that these people nail the projects/essays, get crap marks in their exams and still leave with a 2:1.
Same goes with Dissertations. Yes they are of course extremely hard work but it is significantly easier to nail a dissertation to perfection than it is to average 70%+ in 3-4 exams instead. They are not really comparable in terms of assessment yet not doing one puts you at a serious disadvantage.

Permabanned
It is funny how you accuse students of being thick, yet can't string together a punctual sentence yourself. There are always exceptions to rules but if you looked at in depth statistics you will find that the majority of people who are University educated earn on average more than those who are not.

The Government is actually increasing University fee caps because they have slashed University funding and they need to re-coup their money from somewhere.

Tell me, who was your CO on tour? Oh that's right, a University educated Officer. Ho hum.

Why would he have a University educated Officer?

The majority of Officers have A levels rather than degrees. I was one of them.

As for your statistics, it would seem that is beginning to reverse as more people gain degrees in pretty useless subjects and Trades/Craftmen become rarer the pay gap between university education and vocational education is becoming smaller.

Not that I think all students are as Modular described of course, having been one part time for a number of years and just about to go full time that would be foolish, but he does hit on a specific point that over the years university education has been devalued and now it is becoming about what institution you attended rather than what you studied in a lot of cases and more importantly many occupations which now ask for degrees really do not require one.

What is happening is that we are ignoring vocational/apprenticeship education in favour of University and it is devaluing both.

Back to the OP.

Well Done to all those who gained their degrees, I eventually finished my BTh/CTh and so onto Research after finishing out my notice-period at work. Scary times for an old soldier.......

Last edited:
Permabanned
BTW left school at 16, been on 2 operational tours, kosovo, Iraq, sniper trained, have H on my licence for tanks, done Buck house, St james palace, and windsor castle, lived in Germany for 5 years, can drive a class 1 truck, now a manager at a bank call center, have a kid on the way, university? you mean those people who roll out of pubs and scratch peoples cars at two in the morning? people wit absolutley no common sense whatsoever, my twin sister also left school at 16 and she holds a manager position with the council earning £££££ alan sugar, left school at 16... the list is endless, you wonder why the government is hiking the prices for uni? its because your all sackless, drunken, thick, good-for-nothings who will end up stacking shelves and smoking drugs. sorry .

I also left school at 16 and joined the army, i served two tours of Iraq and N Ireland however after 5 years of service i was medically discharged as i suffer from PTSD, Anxiety, Severe Depression and Insomnia. I Lost my car and disconnected myself from my family and close friends.
After getting help from local charities and after finding my feet i was given a council house and found a job as a driller working 70 hours +.
I hated the job and thought i would be stuck with it for the rest of my life.Then i took a gamble and decided to go to college to study computing, i figured i had a passion for technology/computers + gaming so why not peruse a career in something i enjoyed?
Three years later i have a Hnc , a Hnd and I'm going to Uni in September for two years. Best decision i have ever made, i actually really enjoy it and feel at home with my fellow geeks and game enthusiasts :).I will also have a well paid job lined up for me when/if i finish.
So far i haven't come across anyone who i would consider thick and the majority of the guys and gals in my college have 10 x more common sense then the guys i served with in the army. Sorry for taking the thread offtopic i just needed to get that off my chest as you sound like a bit of a ***t.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom