Car wouldn't start today!

Soldato
Long shot here, but could OP use the OBDII reader if the car has one to collect the error codes if any?

Or would the car need to be started for him to get the codes?

Soldato
OP
Now that I think of it, about a week or so ago when I started the car, there was a brief delay before the engine actually started. So I turned the key, and nothing for a split second and then it started as normal but it was definitely noticeable.

Soldato
Ignition should be enough for code reader. No need to start the car.

I vote battery - despite what the man from Green Flag says.

Cell dying on my old Fabia's battery had the bloke (subbie from local garage) completely stumped.

Soldato
My order of things to try would be:
  • Turn headlights on and try starting it whilst watching the lights (if the starters getting power they should dim a lot).
  • Jump it from a running car, that'll have more umph than one of those battery pack things.
  • Give the starter a whack with a spanner and try bumping it incase it's stuck in.

Caporegime
[*]Turn headlights on and try starting it whilst watching the lights (if the starters getting power they should dim a lot).

If the lights are dimming a lot, I'd say the battery is shafted.

I say this as I don't notice my e39's lights dimming when i start that up....
Now that I think of it, about a week or so ago when I started the car, there was a brief delay before the engine actually started. So I turned the key, and nothing for a split second and then it started as normal but it was definitely noticeable.
I'd say its the starter, especially with it momentarily not turning recently - my old e36 did just that for a while prior to the starter failing completely.

Associate
Either starter motor, immobiliser issue or maybe even ignition switch problem.

Should be easy for a auto-elec to diagnose, just supply 12V directly to starter motor and see if it turns over.

Associate
like what someone just said, try push starting it, if it works, then its the starter motor mate (if you are moving it somewhere make sure you don't stall lmao, or have fun bump starting it again).

If immob, normally it fires and dies (as it cuts fuel, well most immobs i've worked with).

Good luck with it mate.

Soldato
OP
Thank you all very much for the suggestions. It's given me a few ideas and I shall investigate fully tomorrow as I've got the day booked off work.

Will report back on how I get on and hopefully once it's all sorted incase anyone else has a similar issue.

Associate
Im not sure what the access is like on one of these but can you get a screwdriver onto the starter and short the contacts to see if it starts?

Soldato
OP
UPDATE:

Gave the car a slight push today and it started. Was driving around for about an hour or so, obviously making sure I didn't stall it! Does that pretty much confirm then it's the starter motor?

Soldato
OP
Well, we can't tell - unless you tried to restart it afterwards and failed? ;) :p

Well I drove around for about an hour, got home, parked up and switched the engine off. Restarted the engine straight away and it started!!!!!!!!!!! .....although it sounded forced, not a smooth start like it should have been. I am gonna try again in about an hour.

Soldato
OP
All sorted now.

So:

(1) If you ever start up your car one day and there is a short delay before the engine actually starts,
AND LATER -
(2) Your car doesn't start, and a jump start/battery pack makes no difference, but a push starts gets it going...

It's more then likely the starter motor!

Last edited:
Permabanned
I'd still be inclined to try a proper battery or jump start.

Although it's now fixed I thought I'd reply in case anyone else suffers from this. Having suffered from a few e46 battery problems over the years the symptoms are nothing like the OPs. As mentioned with a low battery you get regular clicking with the lights going on and off so no noise at all would certainly have indicated that it was the starter motor.

Soldato
Not necessarily Wicksta. A battery can drop a cell (or go a little intermittent on one) and still provide enough power to run the lights, instruments and everything else - yet when you start it, nothing happens at all - and the instruments will remain illuminated. A simple jump will then have it on its way and probably recover it enough during the drive for it to not be a problem.

I've had this happen to both Mercedes and BMWs, oddly nothing else. I guess they must put quite a strain on their electrical systems, sometimes.

So it's worth just doing a few quick checks, either way! Trying a different battery, or jumping it, is much quicker and easily removes one element from the diagnosis :)

Back
Top Bottom