Tuning my Cupra TDI (PD150) - Remap, EGR, DPF and Mufflerectomy

Soldato
Hi Guys,

Over the next few weeks I'm having a bit of a tinker with my car and I'll be documenting the process for future reference. Because of this I need a bit of advice on a few things.

As I'm having the car remapped and I'm looking to start with the best possible hardware set up before I go tweaking the electronics.

EGR Delete
What benefits will I see (if any) from deleting the EGR and what is necessary to carry out the job. Is the "A01" kit here all I'd need.

DPF Delete
Do the MK1 Leon Cupra TDIs have a DPF? I've found lots of people doing it to the MK2 but nothing on the Mk1 so far.

As well as the above I'll also be doing the following:

Mufflerectomy
Removing the back box and replacing it with a straight through 2.5" pipe and tip with before and after power runs to see if there are any gains to be had by performing this cheap and fabled mod.

Standard airbox and filter, uprated panel filter and an open cone filter
I'll be comparing all three (before the mufflerectomy) to see if there are any gains to be had by 'upgrading' from a standard paper filter.

Remap
I'll then be remapping the car after we've achieved the most gains from the mods described above. I'm still running the standard clutch and so the map won't be an aggressive one, rather a tune that makes the car pull harder in gear - especially third and fourth.

Eibach B12 Sportline kit, Pro-Spacers and Anti-Roll kit
I have a full Eibach suspension set up coming over from Germany that comprises of Bilstein dampers, Sportline springs, Pro-Spacers and front and rear anti-roll bars.

This should leave me with a well rounded, economical daily driver with a bit of grunt and nice handling...now we'll just wait and see the results!

I'm expecting to see around 180bhp from the above and I could go even further (220-240bhp) by adding a Sachs clutch and DMF, hybrid turbo, hard pipes and bigger FMIC but for now I'm just looking at getting as much power as I can from cheap and simple mods.

Last edited:
Associate
I had a Leon Mk1 PD130 and I'm pretty sure they don't have a DPF. They may have an EGR valve which CAN gunk up and cause rough running. Never had it with mine when I sold it at 130,000 miles.

Turbo engines can be sensitive to back pressure. I'd be wary about the mufflerectomy unless there is prior experience on the cupra forums or you prove the benefits on a dyno.

I'd be doing a filter upgrade and remap if I were you. I believe the TDI 150 already has a front-mounted intercooler, correct? To go significantly further than that, you're looking at a different turbo.

Suspension mods sounds good. Would also be worth looking at better brake disks and pads, especially for the front.

Soldato
A DPF afaik was only on the mk2 but there's a really easy check if you want to make sure - see if you have a warning lamp like the left of these two. I must admit I didn't even think you needed a kit, just a blanking plate. I saw some guy use the bottom of a beer can to make one on briskoda.

From what I know the benefits of the EGR delete are you won't be recycling the air so theoretically performance may be better in that there's more oxygen to burn (the valve is closed when you put your foot down though so no real performance increase when it matters) and your intake system will only have nice clean air going through it instead of a mix of dirty and clean so is likely to be cleaner over it's life. This mod might be a problem when it comes to your MOT but in practice you might be OK.

Soldato
OP
I had a Leon Mk1 PD130 and I'm pretty sure they don't have a DPF. They may have an EGR valve which CAN gunk up and cause rough running. Never had it with mine when I sold it at 130,000 miles.

They definitely do have an EGR valve and from what I've read it seems to be that if you're gonna tinker with the engine then it's worth getting rid of it. The only downside is that the car judders a bit more when you turn it off - but that's no biggie.

Turbo engines can be sensitive to back pressure. I'd be wary about the mufflerectomy unless there is prior experience on the cupra forums or you prove the benefits on a dyno.

It's a huge thing in the TDi tuning world and lots of people on seatcupra.net have done it and report nothing but goodness (slightly beefier exhaust note, improved spool up and more audible turbo whistle). I'll be interested in seeing the benefits during a back to back dyno run. If I lose power then that stock exhaust goes back on!

I'd be doing a filter upgrade and remap if I were you. I believe the TDI 150 already has a front-mounted intercooler, correct? To go significantly further than that, you're looking at a different turbo.

Again, i'll fit an uprated filter if it offers dyno proven gains. There's hugely conflicting views on this - some saying that there's only benefits if you're running big power and some saying that you'll never "out breathe" the standard set ups. Dyno will prove it.

Suspension mods sounds good. Would also be worth looking at better brake disks and pads, especially for the front.

Yeah I'm looking at the TT front brakes - just got to let the wallet cool off a smidge first ;)

Soldato
OP
A DPF afaik was only on the mk2 but there's a really easy check if you want to make sure - see if you have a warning lamp like the left of these two. I must admit I didn't even think you needed a kit, just a blanking plate. I saw some guy use the bottom of a beer can to make one on briskoda.

From what I know the benefits of the EGR delete are you won't be recycling the air so theoretically performance may be better in that there's more oxygen to burn (the valve is closed when you put your foot down though so no real performance increase when it matters) and your intake system will only have nice clean air going through it instead of a mix of dirty and clean so is likely to be cleaner over it's life. This mod might be a problem when it comes to your MOT but in practice you might be OK.

Don't think I have a DPF then...which is a bonus - i've heard lots of trouble with them when mapping the new A3 TDIs.

As for the EGR delete being a problem at MOT - how so?

Soldato
egr makes a mess of the intake manifold

before you go anywhere you want the inlet manifold off to clean the gunk out

same with the intercooler, clean all the oil out

no point chucking money at it until youve taken care of the basics

and you wont gain anything with a performance filter over the paper one

Soldato
OP
egr makes a mess of the intake manifold

before you go anywhere you want the inlet manifold off to clean the gunk out

same with the intercooler, clean all the oil out
Yup, all basic servicing will be carried out before I do anything.

no point chucking money at it until youve taken care of the basics and you wont gain anything with a performance filter over the paper one

That's a confident sounding man! I hope you're right, will save me a few pennies ;)

Soldato
I'm expecting to see around 180bhp from the above and I could go even further (220-240bhp) by adding a Sachs clutch and DMF, hybrid turbo, hard pipes,bigger FMIC but for now I'm just looking at getting as much power as I can from cheap and simple mods.

Probably need injectors too?

Be aware, a few people report a loss of torque with *just* a decat.

Soldato
Yup, all basic servicing will be carried out before I do anything.

That's a confident sounding man! I hope you're right, will save me a few pennies ;)

100%

youre using the same airbox as you get in a golf/a3. the airfilter itself is larger than what you get in a B5 audi S4 or RS4

my S4 was beyond 300bhp, the RS4 made 380bhp from the factory, with a paper filter

your airbox and paper filter can flow sufficient air!

as for the inlet manifold, the gunge can really reduce the size of the air tracts, so definately sort those. it made a huge difference on my pd130 and that was an engine that was only 3 years old.

the intercooler will be internally coated with oil making it less efficient at cooling. a good clean out helps loads

do the cupras have "vented" wheel arch liners?

Soldato
OP
Probably need injectors too?

Be aware, a few people report a loss of torque with *just* a decat.

The cat will stay in place, it's just the backbox that gets chopped out. As I said, if there's no performance gains then it won't be done. I've got the benefit of a hub dyno throughout the modifications so I'll be sure to only make beneficial changes :)

100%

youre using the same airbox as you get in a golf/a3. the airfilter itself is larger than what you get in a B5 audi S4 or RS4

my S4 was beyond 300bhp, the RS4 made 380bhp from the factory, with a paper filter

your airbox and paper filter can flow sufficient air!

as for the inlet manifold, the gunge can really reduce the size of the air tracts, so definately sort those. it made a huge difference on my pd130 and that was an engine that was only 3 years old.

the intercooler will be internally coated with oil making it less efficient at cooling. a good clean out helps loads

do the cupras have "vented" wheel arch liners?

Good to know about that mate, didn't realise it was the same set up.
Is there anything special to clean out the intercooler?

And no, it doesn't have vented arch liners.

what eva u do dont get an open cone filter,, heat soak = fail

Yeah that what I thought, especially with a big hot diseasel engine!

I'm being a moron sorry, NOx isn't an MOT test.

No problem!

mine felt nice after i ditched the EGR and had no mot issues but that was nearly 10 years ago

Sweet! Is it just a case of blanking it off or is there a kit I need to buy?

Soldato
OP
Lots of before/after dynos then? Awesome :D

Yup...runs should look something like this:

1) Stock run
2) Cone filter
3) Uprated panel
4) Best of 1,2 or 3 and mufflerectomy
5) Best of 1,2 or 3 with (or without if no gains) mufflerectomy and EGR delete
6) Custom remap

Soldato
this will sound ghetto but i used a beer can to make a "gasket" which blanked the egr, i also disabled the vac line that goes to it. this was in the days before egr blanking kits were available. ive known people who have ran perfectly fine just by disabling the vac line.

as for the cooler, just remove and clean out with solvent. id renew the jubilee clips though.

as for the arch liner, i cant remember what sort of intake temps you get with a diesel but lower is always better, it may be worth considering modding the arch liner, that made a nice improvement on my A4.

Soldato
OP
this will sound ghetto but i used a beer can to make a "gasket" which blanked the egr, i also disabled the vac line that goes to it. this was in the days before egr blanking kits were available. ive known people who have ran perfectly fine just by disabling the vac line.

as for the cooler, just remove and clean out with solvent. id renew the jubilee clips though.

as for the arch liner, i cant remember what sort of intake temps you get with a diesel but lower is always better, it may be worth considering modding the arch liner, that made a nice improvement on my A4.

Noted, thanks mate.

Associate
Like been said, you shouldn't have a DPF, only on mk2 leon's.

I got a 1.9tdi 110 Bora (non-PD) and I got a decat (well technically not a cat, but what they call it) and it made such a difference IMO, feels freer flowing, better response, and pulls quicker.

Also I cleaned EGR, my god was it clogged, I mean literally the opening was tiny due to the build up of crap.

Cleaned it out, and the manifold (well as much as I could, used a spanner to drag all the crap out) and it made such a massive difference too, my car has done 150k, and by looks of it, never been cleaned.
Some people have soaked the EGR and inlet in petrol to clean the crap, I chose not to waste liquid gold lmao.

I am thinking of getting a blanking plate for the EGR and also blocking off the valve so it doesn't flag up a engine management light.

I'm on SCN too, used to have a Mk2 Ibiza GTI 16v, boy do I miss it lol.

Good luck with it mate :)

Soldato
OP
Yeah I'm looking forward to having things off for a good clean. The place I'm taking it just serviced their next project car - BMW 328i estate and they saw 5bhp from an oil change (!!!) dyno proven as well. Synionics oil or something...the Subaru rally team are using it apparently. They were gobsmacked especially as the car had been well serviced etc all it's life by the owners father in law. Anyway I'm not expecting those gains from fresh fluids but every little helps and my OCD is put at ease knowing things are all clean ;)

Back
Top Bottom