New TV: Blu-ray picture 'sped up'?

Soldato
Hi chaps,

I wish I could Google for this but I can't find the right terms. I just bought a Panasonic plasma and I've hooked it up to my Blu-Ray player, which was hooked up to a really old plasma and worked fine for years.

I've whacked in a couple of Blu-Rays and it for want of a better description, the picture looks sped up by a fraction, but enough to be noticeable. I've played some films on my HTPC and through my Xbox and the problem isn't noticeable.

The Blu-ray and the TV are both set to 1080p 24p.

Any thoughts, or at least what this problem is called?

Associate
This sounds like Intelligent Frame Creation - a feature that Panasonic added to distinguish 'lower' and 'upper' end models a few years ago (e.g. the PZ80 and PZ85 series). Many reviews described the situation you seem to be having. There should be a way to turn it off.

Hope this helps.

Soldato
Sounds like some Motion Handling feature that should be turned off.

I see it all the time in shops, makes movies look like Eastenders of something. Frame rate looks really high.

Associate
This is going to sound extremely stupid, but does 100Hz produce a similar effect?

Nope not at all. (unlike most on here) i see it like this,:) if you have never been taught something then there is no such thing as a stupid question.

100Hz just refreshs the pic a bit quicker to stop motion blur etc. While this problem is frame creation. So lets say the film is set at 60frames per second. The tv will add scenes inbetween thoughs scenes so insted of 60fps you will be getting 120FPS or less.

While i love this feature on some programs and slow moving films. In fast moving films it ruins it for me. YOu get weird screen problems etc.

Soldato
This sounds like Intelligent Frame Creation - a feature that Panasonic added to distinguish 'lower' and 'upper' end models a few years ago (e.g. the PZ80 and PZ85 series). Many reviews described the situation you seem to be having. There should be a way to turn it off.

Hope this helps.

indeed, when i saw it working on the 50pz82 and 85...i bought a pz80 which didnt have it. it's rubbish. Imo, SVP (pc software) is the most advanced frame create engine out there. It's actually pretty good, light years ahead of anything you'll find on any tv

http://svp-team.com/wiki/Main_Page

Soldato
give it a go and see. It still suffers the same problems that any other frame creation methods suffer, motion errors and ghosting ect, but its still better than anything else ive seen. it's very capable but if you start ramping the options up then you need some decent cpu power to match - my pII-965 doesn't cut it if you are increasing the framerate to 60fps. I dont use it though because a) i cant stand the ghosting despite the (massive) improvement in the framerate of the video and b) i like to bitstream all the audio straight to my amp, and I've not been able to make that work with svn.

Give it a go though, you may find it very good indeed.

Soldato
Nope not at all. (unlike most on here) i see it like this,:) if you have never been taught something then there is no such thing as a stupid question.

100Hz just refreshs the pic a bit quicker to stop motion blur etc. While this problem is frame creation. So lets say the film is set at 60frames per second. The tv will add scenes inbetween thoughs scenes so insted of 60fps you will be getting 120FPS or less.

While i love this feature on some programs and slow moving films. In fast moving films it ruins it for me. YOu get weird screen problems etc.

That's brilliant info mate! I appreciate the help

I need to watch Zodiac again, as I noticed it on a few scenes on here.
Didn't notice it on Dark Knight or Sunshine though (the only 2 Blu Rays I own)

Back
Top Bottom