Tuning my Cupra TDI (PD150) - Remap, EGR, DPF and Mufflerectomy

Soldato
Always liked the Cupra TDi, might be my next purchase after seeing this ;)

I've tuned my 306 HDi Mr Six, the backbox mod seems quite a common thing to get the backpressure off the turbo.

My car is up from 90bhp to 150, which is a hell of a difference. Not sure how much it weighs compared to your Cupra.

Soldato
OP
In the same vein you should have run it with no exhaust see how far that got you......

Not sure I'd fancy running my daily car with no exhaust ;)

Always liked the Cupra TDi, might be my next purchase after seeing this ;)

I've tuned my 306 HDi Mr Six, the backbox mod seems quite a common thing to get the backpressure off the turbo.

My car is up from 90bhp to 150, which is a hell of a difference. Not sure how much it weighs compared to your Cupra.

I am very pleased with the car and being able to squeeze extra power like this by making cheap and easy modifications adds to the pleasure. I'm sure I'll be beaming ear to ear once it's remapped :) Although I fear it's a slipperly slope that'll involve an Allards hard pipe kit, Sachs clutch and hybrid turbo in a few years.

Soldato
OP
My point is a total removal of all restriction isn't necessarily the best way to get the most power.

How long does it take for your ECU to adapt to the increased amount of air it could suck in on the Dyno?

So what are you saying then?

And I have no idea - but we did multiple runs until we achieved a consistent figure.

Soldato
Bonnet up, airbox lid off, cold air cascading over the intake and engine bay in general. Argue all you like, but it's good enough for me to be sticking with my standard paper filter.

i told you the other day that your filter is actually larger than that fitted by audi to a B5 RS4, a filter wont make any difference but the airbox itself may lol

ive actually seen cars LOOSE power on the dyno with nothing attached to a throttle body

iether way, as long as you saved yourself from buying a stupid "performance filter" then whatever convinced you, you did the right thing

Soldato
still rofling at the no air box test

read this

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199237

Test 1, open throttle body, resulted in the in the worse torque curve and had peak bhp measurement of 142bhp@6200rpm

Test 6, STD airbox, had improved torque range and resulted in 145bhp@6100rpm

Test 12, Pipercross Pod filter, improved the torque range further and resulted in a peak of 148.5bhp@6500rpm

My choice, Test 25, Modified air box and OE filter, improved torque even further than any of the other combinations and resulted in a peak power measurement of 151.2BHP@6200rpm
lots of tests dont by some very clued up people

Soldato
I am very pleased with the car and being able to squeeze extra power like this by making cheap and easy modifications adds to the pleasure. I'm sure I'll be beaming ear to ear once it's remapped :) Although I fear it's a slipperly slope that'll involve an Allards hard pipe kit, Sachs clutch and hybrid turbo in a few years.

It's a slippery slope for sure :o

I ended up fitting an intercooler, making up all my pipework, upgrading the brakes, de-catting the exhaust, replacing the backbox with a mongoose that needed adjustment to make it fit! , replacing the interior with GTi seats (door cards are the same) purchasing two different maps for the ecu, Buying a flashing tool to flash the ecu and then replacing the clutch!

I did all the above myself at home here on the farm, Hybrid turbo and uprated clutch would be the next step along with fuel pump work, but I'm not slipping down that slope again :p

Soldato
OP
It's a slippery slope for sure :o

I ended up fitting an intercooler, making up all my pipework, upgrading the brakes, de-catting the exhaust, replacing the backbox with a mongoose that needed adjustment to make it fit! , replacing the interior with GTi seats (door cards are the same) purchasing two different maps for the ecu, Buying a flashing tool to flash the ecu and then replacing the clutch!

I did all the above myself at home here on the farm, Hybrid turbo and uprated clutch would be the next step along with fuel pump work, but I'm not slipping down that slope again :p

hah! That's quite incredible tuning really from 90bhp to what? 170bhp at the end? How long until the internals need replacing after all that?

Soldato
Forgot to mention I removed the EGR valve aswell and made up blanking plates for it!

I'm running about 150bhp right now, I could run more, I'm using a stock OEM Sachs unit which is probably at it's limit right now. But it doesn't slip YET.

People on the 306.net forums are running 165+ , but IMO it's just asking for trouble!! Not really sure how long the internals will last. One lad managed to get oil blowing past the rings so I'd consider that not good :p

Soldato
OP
Just a brief update - the car is going in for remapping tomorrow now. Friday was cancelled because Pete at Thor came down with man flu, so rebooked for Tuesday.
Currently sitting at 160bhp so would hope to see somewhere around 180-190bhp after a bit of software.

Since having the exhaust off I've noticed an increase in MPG by an average of 8-10 on a run. I'm putting this down to the extra 10lbft torque which means that at 60-70mph the economy is much improved...town driving seems the same now.

When I get my pit bike and trailer hooked up again it's also be interesting to see what I average on the way to the track. Before it was 48-50mpg with the majority of the journey towing at 70mph on the M6...I'm expecting now to see mid 50's hopefully.

Soldato
OP
Jesus christ, some of the replies in this thread almost make me want to just forget posting up the results and keep it to myself.

The dyno isn't accurate, the MPG isn't accurate, the moon wasn't aligned correctly when you did that run...blah blah blah.

All of the results that I've documented have been 1:1 before and afters - measured using the same instruments with the same tolerances whilst maintaining every variable possible within my reasonable control.

If that's not good enough for you then get out of my thread and ignore my findings.

Soldato
Keep it to yourself then, theres no need to moan - trust me I have a near identical car, you go and work out your MPG from your trip computer compared to what your calculator says.

It WILL be different. But yes I see your point. Moaning aint cool though nor is being abrupt and rude :) Enjoy your remap.

Back
Top Bottom