Best SSD For MSI P67A GD65

Soldato
I'm finally taking the plunge into the SSD market and want the best 120G drive that will be both reliable and fast and I've heard there might be some compatibility issues with certain mobo's, so any advice to ensure I don't make a mistake will be most welcome.

I've heard the Marvell controller is rather limiting, which my mobo does have, although the 1 & 2 are P67 PCH, which I presume would be the best to use.

Associate
General consensus on here seems to be that Crucial and Intel SSD's are the most reliable; OCZ seem to be slightly less reliable.

I went for the Crucial M4.

Soldato
I'm happily running an OCZ vertex 2E 120GB on this board and no issues. Though obviously not the fastest SSD out there these days. Good prices on these drives at the moment.

Only my two penny worth. But I personally would not buy into any of the latest generation of SSD's (definitely would apply to the SandForce based drives) until they've had time to "bed in". People on the cutting edge of technology quite often end up acting as Beta testers! As far as I'm concerned, the version number of the firmware in my drive says it all (IE. 1.33) and even this does not appear to have sorted the sleep issues for some!!

Not looking for a flame war on the above comment. just my personal opinion. Quite aware that a lot of folks have had no problems with their SSD's (previous and current gens). In fact mine has run fine (up to now obviously) even on the earlier firmware. But then again, I did my homework on the drive I was interested in and heeded the warnings and disabled sleep and power down on the drive from the go get.

Good luck whatever you decide to buy.

PS. While I think SSD's are the way to go... I still think they have "a way to go". New technology... can't get enough of it.

Last edited:
Associate
1 for the Intel camp here, while it's not the fastest out there it's still miles better than a normal HDD.

I'd take it's proven reliability over the speed of the latest models any time. Mine's been working perfectly every day for over a year now.

Associate
Can really recommend the Crucial M4 mate, have the 256gb version. Went for Crucial after having heard about some of the issues with the OCZ drives, it may not be the fastest but it does a great job!

Soldato
OP
I'm leaning towards the Crucial M4, but the Corsair Force Series 3 has some great speeds for about the same price, would this be a good bet, or should I just order the Crucial?

Ordering tomorrow.

Soldato
Got an M4 128GB here on the Intel controller, very happy with it. Same set up on the wife's PC too. Not heard about any issues with it and seems very fast for the money.

Back
Top Bottom