Tuning my Cupra TDI (PD150) - Remap, EGR, DPF and Mufflerectomy

Soldato
EGR Delete
What benefits will I see (if any) from deleting the EGR

This phrase really irks me, why do people love to copy Americans so much?

delete vb: To remove by striking out or cancelling

Unless you are going to draw a line through your EGR, or press the cancel button on it, then it's not an appropriate word. What's wrong with "remove"? Not American enough I suppose...

Soldato
OP
This phrase really irks me, why do people love to copy Americans so much?

delete vb: To remove by striking out or cancelling

Unless you are going to draw a line through your EGR, or press the cancel button on it, then it's not an appropriate word. What's wrong with "remove"? Not American enough I suppose...

Do I take the bait, or do I ignore it?

YOU DECIDE!

Soldato
OP
Today...taking it in for the remap.

Reading up on clutches and turbos and hoses and other expensive things too...please remind me that this is an oil burning daily car....

Soldato
OP
So yesterday I took the car back to Thor Racing for the remap.

We loaded the initial map and it made around 14bhp (at the wheels) more than it was running with just the mufflerectomy and the torque curve wasn't the best looking thing in the world! The fact that we were mapping using the dyno filled me with confidence because any "mobile mapper" would have loaded that first file on my drive and taken my money. But we were able to modify the generic map used by many companies and tweak it to get us to a place we were happy.

After three or four revisions to achieve the desired peak power and smooth out the torque curve we ended up with 287.2lbft and 168.2bhp which equates to approximately 195bhp at the fly.

I'll be driving the car for a week to see how it adapts and then probably taking the car back next week for a minor bit of fettling to further smooth out the torque curve between 2300 and 2800rpm, basically lowering the peaks a fraction and removing that valley and then shifting the whole torque curve across to make peak torque at 2500rpm which should give the clutch a slightly easier time.

jfiwp0.jpg

The car is now a real animal to drive, it pulls like a steam train in all gears and the exhaust has taken on a rather brutal note at full power that is more turbo and whistling air than a typical exhaust drone. Inside the cabin however you'd never know it wasn't standard as the sound doesn't make it inside the cab.

I'll report back in a few days with the MPG which on first impressions seems to be the same.

Now excuse me, but I'm going out for a play in my tractor!

Here's the video of the who process:

Last edited:
Soldato
dammit, cannot see the picture at work.

> the torque curve wasn't the best looking thing in the world

was it a bit peaky/spikey?

with the PDs ive heard that have been tweaked have almost sounded like theyve had screamer pipes due to the rush you hear coming out the exhaust

Soldato
OP
dammit, cannot see the picture at work.

> the torque curve wasn't the best looking thing in the world

was it a bit peaky/spikey?

with the PDs ive heard that have been tweaked have almost sounded like theyve had screamer pipes due to the rush you hear coming out the exhaust

Yup....kinda two spikes that we've managed to iron out a lot now.
But it's not noticeable when driving at all.

And yes, exactly that sound - just brutal pressurised airflow with a hint of "bwarp"! (I love it!)

Soldato
sounds awesome-er if you have something on your left with the window down (ie wall, lorry, slower car)

you hear exactly when it comes on full boost and it sounds like the air is trying to escape as if its life depends on it :p

Soldato
Good results :)
Are you running a straight pipe to the backbox or straight all the way through?

Excellent news that it's no more intrusive to the cabin too.

Soldato
OP
The straight pipe is from the cat back, so we only removed the backbox.
I'm really pleased with it overall, just starting to save the pennies for an uprated clutch now though as I'm sure my standard one will be feeling the strain now!

Associate
Surprised to hear the exhaust isnt boomy or loud in the cabin.

My hanger has broken so was looking at replacing with a performance exhaust but the prices put me off, not much difference to OE prices.

May have to follow your route!

Soldato
OP
Surprised to hear the exhaust isnt boomy or loud in the cabin.

My hanger has broken so was looking at replacing with a performance exhaust but the prices put me off, not much difference to OE prices.

May have to follow your route!

The backbox on these cars serves very little as a silencer, the most audible difference is the turbo whistle when you change gear...but you can't hear that from inside with the windows up.

I absolutely love how mine sounds now, would absolutely, totally recommend the mufflerectomy to anybody - even if just for the oval Cupra style tip.

Caporegime
Did you map it? A lot of 'we' in the post.

I would be wary of taking to that power level, the injectors won't like it.

Back
Top Bottom