Tuning my Cupra TDI (PD150) - Remap, EGR, DPF and Mufflerectomy

Soldato
OP
No I didn't it myself, Pete at Thor Racing did but I was there for the whole process filming it (I'll post the video shortly).

What makes you think the injectors won't like it? Plenty of VAG TDI's running this power

Soldato
And why is that, speaking from personal experience?

yep, one of my first engines went bye bye after he mapped it, I found out the guy had enabled some kind of automatic trans feature within the map (manual car!) and it activated at 5000rpm... and he was curious why it misfired! By the time I self diagnosed/read the map, it was too late.

I tried to resolve the issue with him, but he ignored my calls. Thor are not regarded as very good by quite a few folk on IMOC also...

curious...., did pete actually talk to you in straight sentances? because when I went down there with a friend, it was like talking to a diseased monkey... even his receptionist at the time used to constantly rip the **** out of him!

Soldato
OP
yep, one of my first engines went bye bye after he mapped it, I found out the guy had enabled some kind of automatic trans feature within the map (manual car!) and it activated at 5000rpm... and he was curious why it misfired! By the time I self diagnosed/read the map, it was too late.

I tried to resolve the issue with him, but he ignored my calls. Thor are not regarded as very good by quite a few folk on IMOC also...

curious...., did pete actually talk to you in straight sentances? because when I went down there with a friend, it was like talking to a diseased monkey... even his receptionist at the time used to constantly rip the **** out of him!

Pete is actually a good friend of mine and a very articulate, knowledgable guy. The whole mapping process was very straightforward and they use maps written by a company that supplies base maps to a number of other tuners too - the maps are then individually tailored for the car on the dyno. I oversaw the whole process and nothing made me think things were being overlooked or shortcuts made.

I can't comment on your experiences with them, but I'm certain that if Thor had any inclination that there was some variable in the map that could cause catastrophic damage then they wouldn't have let you drive away. Unfortunately when remapping cars and taking them away from standard manufacturers spec, you always raise the stakes of things potentially going wrong.

Rogue Motorsport have a very good relationship with Thor and they currently have two of their cars at the workshop now, an MR2 in for ECU work and a Z4 roadster.

I'm learning more and more that there's a whole lot of armchair experts on these forums (just read this thread) and most of their information is sourced second, third, fourth hand from other similar troglodytes that believe anything they read on the internets.

Watch the video, see the gains and then take from it what you will. It's a shame your engine blew after Thor mapped it, but that's the luck of the draw. I've been in a number of Pete's personal cars (900bhp Skyline, V8 Sura, V8 Altezza, 3S-GTE 1970's Celica...) and know that they've all performed great and been very reliable.

Anyway, back on topic!

Associate
Just started watching the video and had to stop at 10 seconds in.

Please please please put a fabia wiper on the rear! It makes such a difference to the looks! This is mine but now have gloss black RS4 alloys on :)
before:
IMAG0377.jpg

Anyway, cheers for the vid (shame about the music ;p) Im with you on the tuning of these cars, mines had a Jabasport map and Sachs clutch and its sweet. MPG on an each way 44 mile trip to Nottingham for work everyday upto 50-52 and got 560 from a tank last week (onboard data not receipt method tho). The power delivery after the map is simply lush!

Happy tuning :)

Last edited:
Soldato
My rear wiper is pants so I need to go down the Fabia route, however I can't see that much difference visually. I quite like my rear window tint though :)

tdi2.jpg

Associate
That pic is a fabia wiper.
I previously had a Touran wiper on:
IMAG0066-1.jpg

Both look much better that OE and are a nice cheap mod that make a massive difference. Not just for looks either as the standard arm tends to be quite juddery in the wipe. The Fabia arm clears the screen 10 times better than other options.

Soldato
Pete is actually a good friend of mine and a very articulate, knowledgable guy. The whole mapping process was very straightforward and they use maps written by a company that supplies base maps to a number of other tuners too - the maps are then individually tailored for the car on the dyno. I oversaw the whole process and nothing made me think things were being overlooked or shortcuts made.

I can't comment on your experiences with them, but I'm certain that if Thor had any inclination that there was some variable in the map that could cause catastrophic damage then they wouldn't have let you drive away. Unfortunately when remapping cars and taking them away from standard manufacturers spec, you always raise the stakes of things potentially going wrong.

Rogue Motorsport have a very good relationship with Thor and they currently have two of their cars at the workshop now, an MR2 in for ECU work and a Z4 roadster.

I'm learning more and more that there's a whole lot of armchair experts on these forums (just read this thread) and most of their information is sourced second, third, fourth hand from other similar troglodytes that believe anything they read on the internets.

Watch the video, see the gains and then take from it what you will. It's a shame your engine blew after Thor mapped it, but that's the luck of the draw. I've been in a number of Pete's personal cars (900bhp Skyline, V8 Sura, V8 Altezza, 3S-GTE 1970's Celica...) and know that they've all performed great and been very reliable.

Anyway, back on topic!

Its not luck of the draw my engine blew after mapping, he mapped it wrong, he put the error in there, so its nothing to do with luck, its bad mapping. Its not as if I wanted any car tuner to have a go at mapping, I went to a so called expert. . . As for rogue lol, well I wouldnt touch them either. . Anyway back on topic, like you say

Soldato
Can really hear the turbo there...think the cam is a bit close to the exhaust to get a proper idea of how it sounds though.

One question, who invented the word 'mufflerectomy'? Just seems so wrong every time I see it written :/

Soldato
lol its a new term on me, less gay than using "delete" and far less gay than saying "i non resonated my exhaust"

did you use full throttle in the vid at all? i couldnt tell by the sound but i suppose the flutter noise is the closest youll get to a dv of any sort, so win win?

Associate
hmm, sounds nice, not too loud!
Just need to find somewhere around Peterborough that will do it!
Keep posting those vids and keep the thread updated ;)

Back
Top Bottom