Fighter jet? quick to the internets!!

Soldato
So I'm just sat here (Oxford) clearing down emails and suddenly I hear a jet... I hear lots of planes and jets due to brize norton and kidlington airport. However, this got louder and louder and flew over head at crazy speeds with a huge roar. It was a fighter jet. Really strange for this time of night over a residential area? Any ideas what or why?

It sounded amazing, but my god did it set all the dogs off and neighbours looking out their windows? :p

Soldato
OP
Nope, Brize norton has large C-17 flights over us and it wasn't that as they are huge. We only get light aircraft and a few private jets, this was a military jet flying really quickly and very low.

Associate
That's really wired as a couple of weeks ago same happened to me above my house, I live near Burnley, Lancashire only 30 - 40 miles from Manchester Airport.
Never see aircraft that low & never fighter jets.

But it was also around 11pm two nights in a row a loud jet flew at high speed quite low over my house it was so low I could see the different colours of blue, orange & red in the after burner, was amazed to see it

It flew from East towards West then turned quickly dead South on both nights.
Not seen or heard anything since

Associate
I used to live in plymouth and darkmoor used to be one of the only areas in the country that jets were allowed to fly low level (under 200 meters) I have been out of the loop for a few years but I know they updated a lot of the rules and low level flying in rather limited in this country for jets now. I remember spending being on dartmoor at one particular weekend were they must have been doing some sort of exercise becuase there were jets all over the place going in and out of the valleys that was an aweseome sight.

Soldato
OP
I saw the colours of the afterburners and the noise was thrilling, like I imagine a fireball/inferno noise to sound like.

Thing is, over Oxford? bit random!

Associate
Thats nothing, RAF Lakenheath is having their runway re surfaced, so all of the F-15's stationed there are at RAF Mildenhall untill it is complete. I live about 250 metres away from RAF Mildenhall, i can see the runway from the top of my house, the roof (dont ask, RAF mildenhall air fete, we sat on the roof after the show and saw some goos stuff) and the F-15's take of in pairs every 15 seconds, not every day but those things make a rackett

Soldato
That's really wired as a couple of weeks ago same happened to me above my house, I live near Burnley, Lancashire only 30 - 40 miles from Manchester Airport.
Never see aircraft that low & never fighter jets.

But it was also around 11pm two nights in a row a loud jet flew at high speed quite low over my house it was so low I could see the different colours of blue, orange & red in the after burner, was amazed to see it

It flew from East towards West then turned quickly dead South on both nights.
Not seen or heard anything since

Oooooo a local! :p

Soldato
One of the most awesome sights I've seen was when climbing some mountain up in the Lakes. Sat there eating lunch whilst watching red kites, when all of a sudden several fighters flew past very close at eye level. Cracking sight to behold, and made the red kites feel a bit redundant!

Back
Top Bottom