Metal Music Absolutely..........SUCKS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Just to reiterate the original point those with sense in this thread were making, even the worst examples of metal, dubstep, and Justin Bieber's entire catalogue are still music. Terrible, wrist cuttingly bad in the eyes of many, yes, but the essential thing is that it's fallacious to say something isn't music just because you don't like/get it, when it clearly is.

I still dislike most pop, ska, punk, indie and anything cheesy but it's still music, to claim otherwise would be ridiculous. Pop itself is almost always a deliberate and cynical distillation and exploitation of generally appealing chord progressions, song structures, harmonies, and 'borrowing' of facets of other genres that are currently en vogue with the yoof of today, hence the name.

I think the main problem is that because most people only ever hear what they are fed by radio/TV/the media, they aren't exposed to other well established or non-Western musical concepts and practices, so their brain farts and they just dismiss things without understanding them, at least initially.

This is why people never really make huge genre-spanning jumps when it comes to musical taste, it tends to be a slowly evolving thing, e.g. a lot of metal fans tend to get into electronic music via artists that make dark, aggressive music or tracks that resemble metal, or metal acts incorporating elements of electronic music. This then leads them off into EDM land in search of similar artists, or perhaps ones that they referenced or collaborated with, and eventually they might able to appreciate things completely removed from the original band/artist that got them into it in the first place. Agoraphobic Nosebleed to Air/Cannibal Corpse to Cannibal Ox/Emperor to Eric Johnson. The journey is half the fun!

Soldato
For some reason I'm very selective with the metal I listen to.

There is some complete trash that I can't bring myself to listen to and there are glorious bands.

I don't even bother argue about music anymore as it is far too subjective and people get their prissy little panties in a twist over it.

Soldato
Tastes change, it's just a part of life.

If yours never did then I actually pity you for not learning to appreciate other things.

dmpoole expanded on his opinion in further posts, which refined the approach better:

It's possible to move on to appreciate other things, without abandoning what came before. Just because you've learned to appreciate something new doesn't make the old stuff crap.

I think umbrage was taken with your use of "growing out of it" -- a saying which carries the connotation that what you "grew out of" was childish or worthless and thus, what you said was denigrating to metal fans.

In a nicely passive way, of course. ;)

Soldato
I love the fact that I love such a varied mix of Music.
From Melodic Death metal, Trash, Rock, Punk, Rap Metal, Trance, Rap ( The cypriss Hill type) Hard Dance ... and I'm not shy in admitting that I love my old cheesy glam rock and 80's classics.

Recently added dub step and DnB to the mix, but I feel the genres is still finding it's feet before I can say I like the genre, as opposed to a load of songs within it (too much chav tripe in the mix).

Then you get crossover stuff like this, that just rocks my socks!

edit: sorry, I meant to say ... the point of the above is, that I agree with DMpoole. I used to ONLY like MEtal, but as years went on I added more to the collection - never removed anything though.

Man of Honour
If yours never did then I actually pity you for not learning to appreciate other things.

My earliest memory was Buddy Holly
I was then dragged up on The Beatles/60s
I was then into Motown & Soul
My first idol was Marc Bolan
I then discovered Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple & Uriah Heep
During the 70s I was watching artists live as diverse as Neil Diamond, Frank Sinatra, Johnny Cash, Stevie Wonder & Diana Ross.
Around the same time I had a fondness for Classical Music and especially Mozart, Prokofiev and Vivaldi.
I went to see the Sex Pistols twice and The Clash 4 times amongst 100s of other Punk bands.
The 80s was a bit slow but I was into the New Romantic scene and then Metallica, Slayer & Anthrax followed.
The 90s saw Brit Pop which I followed and Tupac and Dr Dre and then the amazing Eminem.
Coming up to the present day bands like Children Of Bodom, Lamb Of God, Devildriver, Clawfinger play heavily in my life but guess what? - I have never turned my back on my influences and in your words 'grew out of it'.

How the hell can you say I haven't appreciated other music?

Soldato
I saw of progressed through lighter music styles like pop-rock, ska, punk-rock etc when I was younger, and moved into metal/hard rock when I was about 17. Over the last 6-7 years I've found my personal tastes have developed/changed/adapted and I'm perhaps less fond of some bands I used to listen to for various reasons; and I'm perhaps less into metal than I was a couple of years ago right now, but to say the genre sucks is simply ignorance; there is so much RANGE to metal.

Example (as a tiny sample):
Korpiklaani - Vodka
vs
Satyricon - King
vs
Maximum the Hormone - Zetsubou Billy
vs
Slipknot - Duality
vs
Dragonforce - Valley of the Damned
vs
Nightwish - Dark Chest of Wonders

Never quite got into the heaviest screaming stuff, but to say there's not at the very least technical proficiency in a fair whack of metal is simple ignorance of the genre itself.

It's not going to be for everyone; but simply checking out a range of subgenres with an open mind should be able to show you what sort of sounds are out there; many of them less conventional than the traditional death/black metal image.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Well to be fair you don't seem to have mentioned the X factor. It is clearly the most important thing for music in the last 50 years.

Sarcasm... obviously

Not only have I watched every X-Factor (& Pop Idol) in this country, I've also watched every similar episode in both Australia & America plus their versions of Got Talent.
Go Chooka Parker (look him up on You Tube).

Associate
Not only have I watched every X-Factor (& Pop Idol) in this country, I've also watched every similar episode in both Australia & America plus their versions of Got Talent.

Wow someone should lock him up in a room and just record for like a day or something if he really does make it up on the spot. That is insane. He makes the 2 piano people off this years Britains got talent look pathetic really.

I tend to watch Britain's got talent and at least the auditions for The X Factor but tend to lose interest in the live shows.

Soldato
Recently added dub step and DnB to the mix, but I feel the genres is still finding it's feet before I can say I like the genre, as opposed to a load of songs within it (too much chav tripe in the mix).

Well dubstep is over 10 years old now, and dnb is even older. Plenty of good stuff if you know where to look/spend enough time looking.

Caporegime

wtf he looks closer to 25 than 16 :p

Soldato
In your OPINION.

Seriously, how are people this stupid? :confused:

The real stupidity lies with the people who expect every sentence to begin with 'in my opinion'. I'd have though it was rather obvious that anything I type or say is just my opinion.

It's funny how, when people agree with you, they don't jump in and shout 'IN YOUR OPINION'.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom