German Grand Prix 2011, Nürburgring Circuit - Race 10/19

Soldato
These threads should really be called **** Vettel Off Grand Prix 2011 because that's all people seem to do :o

a couple of races ago it was '**** hamilton off' who ever has a crap race people jump on the back of.

just look at all the comments today, how many daring moves did he do and people praise him yet a couple of races ago he does the exact same stuff but it doesnt come off and he is slated.

Soldato
Didn't Klien jump into a car that was relatively similar to the cars he had lots of experience in?

No DRS, Bridgestone tyres etc?

Man of Honour
a couple of races ago it was '**** hamilton off' who ever has a crap race people jump on the back of.

just look at all the comments today, how many daring moves did he do and people praise him yet a couple of races ago he does the exact same stuff but it doesnt come off and he is slated.

Yup, just the way it goes.

Soldato
Didn't Klien jump into a car that was relatively similar to the cars he had lots of experience in?

No DRS, Bridgestone tyres etc?

And it was based on an older model/gp2 car.... (probably)

I feel its a bit harsh writing off Chandhock after one race, he finished, he got the much needed track time in this years car and he didnt do the Trulli moan. Granted he needs more speed but considering Trulli did a full pre season test in the car I can imagine that Chandhock would need a little more time to get up to speed with things (and not moan constantly about things)

Soldato
And it was based on an older model/gp2 car.... (probably)

I feel its a bit harsh writing off Chandhock after one race, he finished, he got the much needed track time in this years car and he didnt do the Trulli moan. Granted he needs more speed but considering Trulli did a full pre season test in the car I can imagine that Chandhock would need a little more time to get up to speed with things (and not moan constantly about things)

I don't think he did a bad job. People need to remember that his F1 experience consisted of ten race weekends and three Friday practice sessions prior to this weekend. There was no testing whatsoever. So I don't think he did a bad job at all. Look at Ricciardo for comparison. His performance, on-paper, looked terrible at Silverstone and this was after being blindingly fast in the young driver days at the end of last season, doing some pre-season testing and pretty much every Friday morning session this year.

Second race? Not a bad performance in a still-unfamiliar car. I think Chandhok deserves peoples' patience; one performance is not a fair basis for judgement.

Soldato
A decent race today.

Excellent win for Hamilton and I actually feel this is one of his best ever wins, as he was being constantly hunted by Alonso, who was in arguably, the fastest car on the track.

Hamilton has had just had one of his best weekends in a VERY long time, which shows that perhaps he is finally running in to some good form.

Vettel
I said this quite a while ago: Vettel will have a dip in form that that dip is now. He was beaten by around 20s in the last race. And this race, he was beaten by his own team-mate in qualifying and in the race.

When a driver's form dips, it usually lasts for about 3-5 races. Alonso and Hamilton really need to do as much damage to Vettel's lead during this time.

A lot of people are criticising Vettel, but the facts speak for themselves: front row grid positions for the 15 races (I think) and top 2 positions for the last 10-12 races. I don't care what you say - anybody who can do that, is one of the best drivers on the planet. He lacks race-craft, but he has incredible flat speed, which more than makes up for his poor overtaking skills.

Hamilton & Alonso
These guys showed us that they really are the 2 best drivers in F1 right now (followed closely by Vettel). Hamilton was in top form, eeking out every last bit of performance. The fact that he was so far ahead of Button says it all. Alonso also outperformed his team-mate.

RBR, McLaren & Ferrari
People still seem to believe that RBR have the best race car on the grid. They have the best qualifying car but IMO they have not had the best race car for a long while. They have won only 1 of the last 4 races...and at Monaco, Vettel got very lucky with a red flag, without which he would've been under serious pressure from Alonso.

IMO, RBR have the best qualifying package, while Ferrari now have the best race car.

Next Race
I firmly believe that overall, Ferrari now have the best car, HOWEVER, in Hungary, I actually expect RBR to be near unbeatable. Last year, the 2 strongest tracks where they were about 1s/lap faster than than everybody, were Barcelona and Hungary. Based on that, there is a strong likelihood that RBR will be the team to beat next week.

If I was a gambling man and had to put a bet on one man to win next week, it would be Webber. I'm hoping though that RBR's advantage does not materialise and that Alonso and Hamilton can get another 1-2.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

There is a lack of Button love-in all of a sudden ;)

IMO he was poor all weekend. It was just a shame he had to retire though, I like to think he could have pushed Vettel to the end and done Massa. He seemed all but missing in action for most of the race..

Permabanned
Mark's not happy...

Not surprised, he was crap.

WHY did Ferrari respond to Hamiltons pit stop though, it certainly looked like even one, or two extra laps on the softs would have seen Alonso overtake?

Still, they do have live telemetry, perhaps they knew the softs were screwed.

Soldato
Not surprised, he was crap.

WHY did Ferrari respond to Hamiltons pit stop though, it certainly looked like even one, or two extra laps on the softs would have seen Alonso overtake?

Still, they do have live telemetry, perhaps they knew the softs were screwed.

Hamilton was lapping quicker on the Prime tyres than Alonso was on his used Options IIRC?

Man of Honour
OP
Yep prime tyres were setting green sectors.mclaren responded to someone else who pitted and was setting green sectors on the prime.

Caporegime
vettel said:
Generally I think fourth anyway was probably our maximum today which is not satisfying but you know we have to accept it and go from there," he told the BBC.
he does realise webber finished 3rd?

Caporegime
Not unsurprising considering it's Vettel? What's that meant to mean? Did you even watch the interview? He was referring to himself, his car and his mechanics like most drivers do when asked how they did.

Associate
Not unsurprising considering it's Vettel? What's that meant to mean? Did you even watch the interview? He was referring to himself, his car and his mechanics like most drivers do when asked how they did.

I'm commenting on the above quote. I feel sometimes Vettel has a big head, not sure if you would agree. He really seems to get great stops from the Red Bull though. Why were the mechanics slower for Webber (from 1st to 3rd) and how come when he was first called into pit they released him infront of traffic (was it Sutil?)?

Man of Honour

IMO he was poor all weekend. It was just a shame he had to retire though, I like to think he could have pushed Vettel to the end and done Massa. He seemed all but missing in action for most of the race..

Apart from a poor start, he did good in the race and would have been 5th at least, if not 4th. He needs to get qualifying sorted like Hamilton did to make getting on the podium easier.

Man of Honour

Button didn't have the best weekend - but in the race he was almost certainly looking at 4th or 5th until his retirement, which is a shame.

Caporegime
RBR, McLaren & Ferrari
People still seem to believe that RBR have the best race car on the grid. They have the best qualifying car but IMO they have not had the best race car for a long while. They have won only 1 of the last 4 races...and at Monaco, Vettel got very lucky with a red flag, without which he would've been under serious pressure from Alonso..

Again you are looking at it black and white. It wasn't that simple again yesterday. Under different fuel loads each of them had sections where they were fast. Had Webber not been shoved off the track he would have won yesterday. The DRS zone was not as effective as other tracks and I think had he got going, almost impossible to pass in a similar speed car.

You look at it black and white all the time yet this isn't 2010, the tyres are changing significantly. Pirelli threw a much more durable tyre in yesterday and I think that helped Mclaren and in particular Lewis more than anyone else on the grid.

Funnily enough people on here where moaning about this until Lewis won. If Pirelli soften the tyres up again I expect Mclaren will struggle again, Horner clearly thinks Mclaren have a problem with the rears, hence his comments on wanting to get to hotter tracks again.

Red Bull clearly still have sections of the race where they are outright fastest, after all you don't rate Webber at all and he clearly could have won yesterday if he wasn't shoved off and Alonso should have won if he'd defended a bit better.

In the end Hamiltons aggression for once paid off, I think it's almost even between the 3 but the heat should help Red Bull but we have no idea how much Pirelli will keep ****ing with the tyres.

If I was the FIA and wanted to get Mclaren and Ferrari back in the title after all other routes to nobble Red Bull failed I would keep the more durable compound for mclaren ;)

Back
Top Bottom