German Grand Prix 2011, Nürburgring Circuit - Race 10/19

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Pirelli threw a much more durable tyre in yesterday and I think that helped Mclaren and in particular Lewis more than anyone else on the grid.

It was always going to. Colder weather keeping the tyre temperatures held down a bit must have helped him as well. It's probably why JB fell a bit further off Hamilton's pace (coupled with Hamilton being able to use his speed at last without destroying the tyres in less than five laps) - he just doesn't get heat into the tyres as quickly as he doesn't/can't/won't throw the car around unless it's absolutely perfectly set-up (see Monaco '09, in particular his qually lap).

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
From the camera angle on board webbers car there was no contact, no shove at all. Webber chose to move his car rather than being banged out there.

Caporegime
From the camera angle on board webbers car there was no contact, no shove at all. Webber chose to move his car rather than being banged out there.

He was alongside for quite a while and lewis moves over effectively cutting off the track.

Don't believe me watch this from 21 to 26 seconds webber is exactly alongside Hamilton. 5 whole seconds alongside. When a car is alongside for that long there is no excuse for cutting off the road.

Webber hasn't moved into a closing gap, he was already there.

If that was MS or the same moved was pulled on Lewis this would have gone on for 5 more pages. 10 pages if Vettel had done it to webber.

Frankly it's amateur and shows a lack of respect and racecraft.

Associate
He was alongside for quite a while and lewis moves over effectively cutting off the track.

Don't believe me watch this from 21 to 26 seconds webber is exactly alongside Hamilton. 5 whole seconds alongside. When a car is alongside for that long there is no excuse for cutting off the road.

If that was MS or the same moved was pulled on Lewis this would have gone on for 5 more pages. 10 pages if Vettel had done it to webber.

What it at 1:20 to the end, they don't touch in my opinion :S

Caporegime
Hang on, are people (dannyjo) complaining about overtaking now? Lol, no pleasing some people.

And Pirelli clarified that the soft tyre was the exact same specification as they have run so far all season. It was only on Friday that the teams ran a set of experimental softs.

Soldato

Is that not called closing the door and happens in every race and every season?

Rosberg did it a few times to massa when defending but you haven't picked up on that.

I believe even alonso did it when passing vettel.

Caporegime
Is that not called closing the door and happens in every race and every season?

You close the door before someone is there not when they are there. Otherwise there is nothing wrong with what MS did to Rubens along the start finish straight. A driver should not have to leave the race track when alongside or hold his ground and cause an accident.

So why was it not fine for MS to 'close the door' but it's fine for Lewis?

Or when Webber in the past left Lewis nowhere to go Webber was an idiot. Or when Vettel 'closed the door' when still alongside webber, vettel was an idiot.

I'm seeing a pattern forming here.

I've always liked hard close and fair overtaking, like the respect Lewis gave to Button once before on the re-pass. Left him just enough room. When a driver has to swerve to avoid an accident imo that's not hard racing.

Especially when you consider the form lewis already has with the stweards this year, had webber held his ground, which he was entitled to, that would have been Lewis fault.

Caporegime
Dannyjo, what is your issue here? Is it that you think Lewis did something against the rules in overtaking Webber, or are you simply annoyed that Lewis did well and are looking for fault?

alx

alx

Soldato
So why was it not fine for MS to 'close the door' but it's fine for Lewis?

Because Lewis was following the racing line on the corner (seeing as he was on the inside and was there first) whereas Schumacher deliberately swerved off his racing line, whilst on a straight, into Rubens - slight difference.

I don't really see a problem with it (but maybe that's just me). I see drivers holding their racing line on corners and forcing the outside driver wide all the time in F1. Do you disagree with this practise all the time then? What Lewis did didn't really seem any different to moves that happen nearly every race day - are you just picking on him as Skeeter has suggested?

Caporegime
I'm not following, what schui did to barrychello last year was more of a swerve on a straight, not lining up for a corner or using the width of the track to accelerate from a corner?

Soldato
Webber never got his car in front, Hamilton held the racing line.

If Webber had got in front, not just about level, then Hamilton would have had no entitlement to just take that but seeing as Webber never got in front then Hamilton was entirely justified to hold the racing line.

Why should Hamilton relinquish the racing line just because someone else is level with him? He had the line and the track position, Webber knew that, otherwise he'd have bitched and moaned after the race. The fact he didn't is hugely telling.

Caporegime
Dannyjo, what is your issue here? Is it that you think Lewis did something against the rules in overtaking Webber, or are you simply annoyed that Lewis did well and are looking for fault?

It doesn't matter who it is, I've said it many times if drivers didn't cut the track off from each other and offered the same respect Villeneuve gave arnoux and vice versa we wouldn't need DRS and Kers.

They pretty much all do it and I've never liked it. Of that I'm atleast consistent. The same cannot be said for those that cried about Button taking the racing line and 'closing the door' on Hamilton or when Webber did it to hamilton and left hamilton with no where to go.

Anyway we seem to have cleared up that it's ok to move across on another driver and leave them with no option but to leave the race track to avoid an accident. I don't think I will have to wait long to see the reaction next time Vettel does it to someone or Hamilton is on the receiving end.

Was Buemi moving towards to the racing line? Geniune question, I'm not sure. Why did he get a penalty after all Heidfeld wasn't just ahead of him or even much alongside. Why did they deem him to have done wrong? Is it because it caused an accident? Do you think Hamilton would have got a penalty if Mark hadn't moved and they came together?

I think he would have.

Back
Top Bottom