• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i5 Temperatire reporting

Associate
Hi all,

After installing all my new kit recently, the Apatosaurus bundle off the site to replace my Q6600/Asus Rampage Formula, I've updated my realtemp and CPU-Z to the latest versions.

I'm slightly confused. After installing all the drivers etc (I reformatted of course), my new processor (i5 Sandybridge 3.30 running at 4.5) says it's running perfectly happily at 4.5ghz in the bios and is at 60-65 degrees. However, when I get in to windows,

RealTemp says:
4500 Mhz
43 degrees

CPU-Z:
4500MHz

Yet Windows System in the control panel where it does all the rating stuff says

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30 GHz 3.30GHz

So the bios says it's overclocked and hot, realtemp says it's overclocked and fine, and windows says it's not overclocked at all.

What's going on?

RJC

RJC

Don
Usually when in the BIOS the cpu is under some stress, run Prime and and cheek full load temps.

Windows tends to report default speed of the cpu.

Associate
OP
Strange, I could swear when I overclocked my Q6600 the system screen read "Q6600 @ 2.6GHz 3GHz

Thanks for the replies. Anyone know if realtemp's tjmax of 98 is correct?
I'll go run prime

Associate
OP
CPU has reached this on Prime95:

Core1 - 89
Core2 - 95
Core3 - 98
Core4 - 95

What's the safe temp range for a sandybridge? Sounds too high for my liking

Associate
Far too high, make sure cooler is seated correctly, I wouldn't run prime95 until you checked your cooler is seated correctly and also check your cpu voltage,

Associate
OP
The chip was OC'd by OCUK and saved to profile 1. I can't see any wasy way to set up profile 2 to "default" settings while I'm sorting out the cooling, can anyone shed any light on that? All I'm trying to do is set the chip/board etc back to stock

Just noticed it's changing dynamically depending on CPU load.... and it's switching between 2.4ghz, 3ghz and 6ghz ><

Last edited:
Caporegime
The chip was OC'd by OCUK and saved to profile 1. I can't see any wasy way to set up profile 2 to "default" settings while I'm sorting out the cooling, can anyone shed any light on that? All I'm trying to do is set the chip/board etc back to stock

Just noticed it's changing dynamically depending on CPU load.... and it's switching between 2.4ghz, 3ghz and 6ghz ><

6GHz :eek:

Associate
OP
Ok, before I go taking it all apart again and reseating, can someone tell me if its normal for a sandybridge running at 3.30 to idle at 35 and load at 58-61? That way I should know if I need to reseat or whether its just that something's wrong with the overclock voltage/mhz etc.

Soldato
35 idle, to 61 load isnt that far out of the ordinary. But priming at 90+ sure is. I've not got my proper heatsink yet.. Trying to find a good air cooler for Asus P8P67 pro, (with corsair vengeance installed).

Anyway, while I sort out a proper cooler, Im getting around 70c on the stock intel cooler with 8 threads running prime 95 (i7 2600k)

Anything better than stock should easily beat the that, and AFAIK hyperthreading still increases the peak load temps, so the 2500k should be cooler than my 2600k

AzZ

AzZ

Associate
The temp. in the BIOS will be higher than the idle in Windows because when you're idling in Windows, remember the CPU downclocks and voltage is lowered respectively so you won't be idling at 4.5GHz. Thats if you have speed step enabled anyway.

Associate
OP
I disabled speedstep, used to cause problems OC'ing my Q6600 so I turned it off as soon as I saw it.

I reseated the Arctic Freezer 7 Pro a couple of days ago, and I guess I did something wrong cuz it's now idling at 45 >< Anyway, the OC issue is now sorted and I'm on to trying to get the cooling sorted. Not happy with the AF7P, so I'm getting a mounting kit for my old TRUE and will give that a whirl :)

Associate
Ok, before I go taking it all apart again and reseating, can someone tell me if its normal for a sandybridge running at 3.30 to idle at 35 and load at 58-61? That way I should know if I need to reseat or whether its just that something's wrong with the overclock voltage/mhz etc.

what are your idle temps? you could be in a sauna or a freezer :p

also if your temps go over 90 please stop! at 99? or 100 the chip starts throttling back and you can really damage your cpu.

arctic 7 is pretty bad cooler , guy on here just replaced it with a silver arrow, tonnes of people recommend arc 7 as cpu cooler for poeple on budget but doenst really make sense if you have to replace as soon as you start overclocking,

google that arctic 7 cpu cooler and this forum only couple weeks back guy reported it was performing on par/worse than the stock cpu
cooler.

Last edited:
Associate
i know you say ocuk OC the chip it might be worth rining them up/webnote and asking how to reduce the overclock? im sure if you reduced it to 4.4ghz and lowered voltages it would signifcantly drop temps.

sorry if i not seen it before but what is the voltage for that overclock?

Soldato
Windows will only ever report the stock speed of the CPU.

Not true, not sure when it polls the cpu for MHz speed but my 2600k @ 4.8GHz is reported as such : Intel (R) Core (TM) i7 2600K Cpu @ 3.4Ghz 4.8Ghz
Just checked a Q9550 machine at 3.8Ghz and i7 920 @ 4Ghz and it states that speed as well, Speedstep is enabled for my 2600k but not for the Q9550 or 920. If you check the system properties of a random laptop you'll find it reports the speed of the cpu at whatever moment in time it was polled, i.e [email protected] 1.6Ghz for e.g
My is E5200 is clocked @3.5Ghz but WEI only shows 2.5. So Surveyor is correct. Unless you have a pic to prove otherwise?

That is just the name of the cpu programmed into the chip itself, it dosen't actually report the actual clockspeed, just the name that the cpu has registered.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom