Upgrade help/advise please

Associate
OP
so what i'm getting from this is if it is the sandybridge I5 2300 then i will or should be getting 1333mhz is this correct.

or maybe should i just stick with my original alienware and get them to stick new drives in ??

I'm so far out of my depth is not funny :D

Last edited:
Associate
OP
cheers stulid, loads of help, i will check the details in the morning and get part names.

also another silly question, as you can see above the chassis has liquid cooling, the people also told me i would loose this as its processor compatible only, so would not work with the upgraded parts and their would be no point or need to have anything but air cooled with the new set-up, is this correct ??

its this
Chassis: Alienware® P2 Chassis - Saucer Silver
Chassis Upgrades: Alienware® AlienIce™ 3.0 Video Cooling + AlienFX™ System Lighting + Alienware® High-Performance Liquid Cooling

Associate
OP
ok, i have some more info for you.

details are,

mobo: gigabyte hag5m (about the best i can afford, limits ram to 1333 but to upgrade would be another £50
ssd: vertex 3 60g
8gb of 1333 mhz Ram
I5 sandybridge
2x 500g drives raid 1

around £540 built and installed, up and running ????

Associate
OP
yes mate i believe so, i did ask about the boards you mentioned h67/p67, but like i said would bump price up by about £50, but unless their is a massive gain, im not sure i would need to ???

Associate
OP
Just like to say thanks for the help, ordered the build today, should be ready friday :)

and on an upside, the guy rang me back and hour or so after to tell me he had a delivery off 1600 DDR 3 and motherboards to suit, so he gave me a free upgrade as the other he was giving me was out of stock till next week.

Dont know how much difference it will make, but surely can only be good :D

A big thanks to all that helped, esp Stulid i was nervous of the build but now i'm looking forward to the weekend :)

Associate
OP
yes mate indeed, any recommendations on card ??

Also took your advise and only got a 500g drive, i will order the rest from here.

want 2 x 1tb drives running raid 1, this will be the internal back-up.

Associate
OP
cheers, was thinking of a £150 limit, as i put a lot into the rest seems a bit pointless to scrimp on the graphics.

on another note all done and collecting in the morning :D

Associate
OP
so just thought i'd update you mate, finally got it home about 4pm last night, a few glitches which i wasnt happy about but getting them sorted slowly.

detailed list of what it has:
intel mobo- gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3-B3, 7.1 audio ATX
core i5 2300
Corsair 8GB (2x4gb) DDR3 1600mhz XMS3
OCZ Vertex 3 SSD 60g
500g western digital sataIII drive
win 7 64bit home premium

and still using the old ati x1650 graphics card (to be replaced)

First impression not that impressed but do still have a few things to do to get it how i want it.

Also only seem to be able to get 2 of the 5 creative t6100 speakers working, have changed to 5.1 and the test still only gives sound through back left and front right, any idea's ??

how does this all sound ??

Caporegime
In the audio control panel is there a headphones/2.1/5.1 etc selection?

Have you got the speaker cable in the right 3.5mm points?

Are the drivers for the onboard sound chip installed?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
yes mate their are all the selections, i have tried stereo, 5.1 and 7.1

Yes to speaker jack, tried all different, their colour coded, but i did try all and any configurations.

As for drivers not sure, was done by them ?? will i need the drivers for my speaker creative T6100 ??

as an update, i did think maybe the speakers were broke but playing music or games i get front left and rear right, when i run the audio sound test i get back left and front right, no centre or base/sub on anything ??

Associate
OP
This could be the bargain your looking for - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-190-XF&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1866

two free games too.

Its on a pre-order price, so when it comes into stock it goes up to £169 - http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18301805

Just going back to this, i have only just found the the base score, its saying 5.4

but on the subscore i have 7.5 on processor, 7.8 on ram, 7.9 on Hdrive but 5.6 and 5.4 on graphics.

so any idea's what score the card will give, might as well put something in that will kick it up to 7+

Back
Top Bottom