Samsung 950D strangeness

Associate
Hi all

I've had my 950D for a few weeks now, but up until a couple of days ago I hadn't had time to do any gaming.

I started with a session in TF2 and this is when I first noticed it. There was a problem where the edges of some of the graphics had sort of multi coloured ghosting effect when you move the mouse. If you stand still the effect dissapears.

I tried other games and they all had it to some degree. I've changed driver a couple of times to see if that made any difference but it didn't.

Anyone else seen this? It's really bugging me now.

Cheers

Associate
OP
I'm gonna try a reformat to see if that clears the problem up. Probably won't, but it's worth a try.

Looks like there is someone with the same problem in the NEW SAMSUNG 950D thread below this.

Update 2:

When watching movies (avi, mkv) has anyone experienced brief multi-coloured outlines on objects, this can be observed dragging the window whilst playing the movie back and forth? I am not too sure what this may be.

Associate
I hope you get this problem sorted (although I don't think a reformat will fix this problem). I'm thinking about getting this monitor so will be glad to hear if you manage to solve the issues. Good luck...

Associate
OP
Yeah it's the 120hz version. It still does the same thing whether 60hz or 120 hz. I played Enemy Territory last night and it's really bad in that. It's really starting to annoy me now.

I tried my old monitor quickly in ET and there was no problem so it must be the monitor. I also tried playing avi's and it does the same thing when dragging the window around the screen (as the quote I found from the other thread stated).

I'm still gonna try the reinstall just to see what happens when the system's clean. I'll report back.

Associate
bit obvious but check for monitor drivers? I remember something a while back that was similiar while dragging windows boxes about but that was ati driver related. Thinking of getting the 120hz 27inch as I have 22 atm but things like this sway me off upgrading :/ How else would you rate the experience?

Associate
OP
Other than this problem the monitor is brilliant. It destroy's my old Samsung 22".

If I can sort out this one problem, I'll be very happy with the monitor. I do think it's fixable. I agree that it seems like it should be drivers causing the problem, which is why hopefully a reinstall and fresh drivers hopefully will work. Otherwise I'll get on to Samsung to see what they have to say.

Associate
OP
I've tried pretty much everything I can now but still the problem persists, so there must be an issue with this monitor. I haven't tried it with an ATI card yet as I don't own one, but maybe it's just an Nvidia issue.

Associate
OP
I have been connecting the monitor with the supplied DVI cable to my Nvidia GTX 580. Would anybody know if it would make any difference if I connected using a different way e.g. HDMI to DVI, or HDMI (monitor) mini HDMI (GTX 580)?

Associate
fLaPzZ - 950 arrived. I gave it a bash in TF2 but did NOT experience the issue you have described in 2D. In 3D there was some crosstalk but I don't think that's what you're seeing?

I tried both 60 & 120hz, 2D, 3D, and a few games without issue. I'm using the monitor driver supplied on the CD. I don't think I've updated my nVidia driver in a while - it's reported as 8.17.12.7533 in case that's of any use to you.

If there's anything else you'd like me to try here just let me know.

Associate
fLaPzZ - 950 arrived. I gave it a bash in TF2 but did NOT experience the issue you have described in 2D. In 3D there was some crosstalk but I don't think that's what you're seeing?

I tried both 60 & 120hz, 2D, 3D, and a few games without issue. I'm using the monitor driver supplied on the CD. I don't think I've updated my nVidia driver in a while - it's reported as 8.17.12.7533 in case that's of any use to you.

If there's anything else you'd like me to try here just let me know.

Im thinking about buying this monitor,so are you happy with it and do you think its worth the money,is the 3D any good.

Associate
Judmann - I won't have time to really get into it until the weekend but my initial impressions are below (keep in mind that these opinions are gathered from at most 5 mins spent on each and VERY little calibration):

Quality, clarity, colour are a LOT better than my previous monitor (a Samsung 245B).

2D-3D conversion as built into the monitor isn't as good as some of the reviews/youtube videos led me to believe but it's passable. It looks okay on still images, okay in games, okay on HD movies, not-so-okay on low quality xvid/etc (hardly surprising!)

3D as provided by TriDef is a lot better but there are quirks to using it (you can't for example alt-tab without crashing the game). Apparently with a workaround you can use nVidia vision with it which, for titles that support it, would probably give richer depth (but I don't have any such titles to test with).

Glossy screen definitely shows reflection but it's not that bad / doesn't bother me. Your mileage may vary.

eco-savings/etc as advertised on this monitor seem hit and miss in so far as the backlight/etc turned off repeatedly when I was sitting in front of it. I'll have to play with the settings at the weekend but for now I've just turned all that stuff off.

As far as cost goes... it's kinda subjective. I went from 24" 16:10 to 27" 16:9 so screen real-estate wasn't a huge bump. The quality is definitely a lot better and I get a new toy in 3D. I have been planning on upgrading my monitor for years so I'm happy with it (except for the £60 price bump on OC:UK over the past few weeks!). For you it will really depend on the quality and size of your current display, and what you use it for (movies, gaming, office, etc).

If there's anything in particular you'd like me to try on it (e.g. a game in 3D) then let me know.

Associate
Thanks for the reply Sinnocence.
Well at the moment my monitor is a 27.5" Hanns G which is good,but im looking for 120fps monitor because i do mainly gaming and since i was looking i thought the 3D would be a bonus.
I have a 46" Samsung tv which does 2D to 3D conversion so when i get time or the tv off the wife i will try it,hopefully it should be the same as the 27", I have tried it watching tv and its good.

Associate
Just had a game on TF2 on it - it's *much* better looking on the 950D than the 245B in 2D in every way.

The below experience comes from using TriDef's in-built profiles. Keep in mind that I have made no special effort to tweak/configure them in any way. Once the game(s) are running you can customize aspects of the configuration via hotkey/TriDef overlay OSD.

With TriDef it really 'pops' but my framerate drops significantly (normally, in 2D, it wouldn't drop below 110fps in heavy action with everything maxed out but put on TriDef and it's ~30FPS spiking to 50 at best). To be honest in FPS I find it too distracting/debilitating for multiplayer (tried TF, BF2) but would happily use it in singleplayer.

I gave Arkham Asylum and Need For Speed a try via TriDef and they were both very impressive. NFS was very playable with it. Arkham Asylum was great overall, but during heavy fight sequences the speed batman moves made the animation look a little rough.

One final note which is less about the 3D and more about TriDef in general - it crashes a lot. Alt-Tab, some OSD menu items, a game not dropping resolution automatically since last play (remember, I came from 1920x1200 to 1920x1080) have all crashed back to desktop. Sometimes you cant click/use keys to close error dialogs too so you have to turn off 3D on the monitor, end task, relaunch the whole thing and turn on 3D again. This isn't a big gripe but it's pretty annoying when it happens. Hopefully they'll patch some of that stuff if at all possible.

Associate
You're probably realising what I have - 16:10 is a dying breed. Most games at this stage are made for 16:9 - that's what most people have, especially if the game has a console release too. With that in mind 16:9 is probably "the way it's meant to be played".

I haven't tried a game yet where it was obvious that I had less vertical screen real estate. I think where you would be most likely to feel the drop would be RTSs/MMOs (e.g. StarCraft / World of Warcraft) - i.e. games which devote a large portion of the bottom of the screen to UI/clickable controls.

Associate
considering it myself at that price but also worried about the glare and other few problems such as crashing when alt + tabbing in 3D or something.

Back
Top Bottom