Poll: DELETED_74993

Capital Punishment - your views

• Keep the ban on CP

Votes: 171 58.8%
  • Bring back CP

Votes: 120 41.2%

• Total voters
Associate
A National Service petition would be good. For!

The MoD is busy making professional soldiers redundant. Why would they want conscripts on their books?

Anyway, it's amusing that the much-hyped death penalty petition is currently some way behind one calling for the retention of the ban on capital punishment.

Soldato
i say bring back captial punishment. crime % will drop drastically. rape/cold blood murder etc etc should have the death penalty

Well that's complete ********. People don't kill people and expect to be caught, what's the difference if the punishment changes. I'd rather be killed than spend 35 years in prison.

Soldato
I'd rather be killed than spend 35 years in prison.

And I'd rather you (a really really really evil crim with so much cast iron evidence that its well beyond certain that you did it) be killed than cost me a fortune in tax to keep you housed for the next 35 years.

Soldato
I think it is good that these sorts of things are being taken seriously, the petitions, that is, however, the death penalty is immoral, unethical and unjustifiable. Simple as that.

I'm surprised you don't get the usual "torture the scum" or "burn them alive" mob mentality, but then I guess this is actually being dealt with somewhat rationally other than the typical forum morons getting worked up because someone they've never known or met has been killed and they feel some sort of obligation to act like they were best of friends or something equally pathetic.

Prison should be a two-fold solution. Punishment (imprisonment is punishment alone) and rehabilitation/re-education.

It should never just be a matter of sweeping it under the carpet. "Oh well, another person failed by society, just kill them and forget about them."

:rolleyes:

Hopefully there are enough sane people in this country to block this kind of nonsense.

Associate
I don't really have an opinion on the death penalty, but i have always been curious, could someone explain to me the reasons that it is more expensive than imprisonment?

Man of Honour
There are few greater logical inconsistencies than the notion we should deal with those that kill others by killing them.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
I don't really have an opinion on the death penalty, but i have always been curious, could someone explain to me the reasons that it is more expensive than imprisonment?

Because to reduce the chances of wrongly executing someone you need to have a whole load of safechecks, appeals, etc. You also need a higher security area to keep the prisoners while they wait for execution (after all, if you are going to be killed what incentive is there for you to behave?).

Now you could go back to how we used to do it, person was normally hanged within weeks of a guilty verdict, however your chances of wrongly executing someone starts to increase.

Soldato
Our current bleeding heart human rights heavy society preaches rentegration and reeducation of prisoners, and it isn't working. Lets murder loads of them for a decade or two and see if the crime rate truely soars, if it does then i shall eat humble pie.

"It isn't working." Evidence? Source?

I'd be more inclined to say that the method isn't working. I hear much about the prison system and it seems to be more of a "dump them into a large building full of drug addicted criminals until they've served their sentence" rather than "help them overcome the problems and issues which led them to crime and make them better people".

Soldato
we should start one i think with ocuk members we can get the ball rolling on a decent petition.

what would be a good petition to start ?

Soldato
It stops people re-offending ;)

But unfortunately doesn't address the more important issues of why they offended in the first place, nor does it offer a chance for them to pay back to society what they have taken/not contributed.

Not only that but allowing the state to execute people is possibly the start of a very dangerous road, considering how the state's penchant for slowly eroding civil liberties, or at least attempting it.

Associate
If they are proven 100% to be a murderer etc... Then ye lop off their head. Saves wasting money keeping them alive in prison.

Soldato
tetsicles to human rights legislation.

Those who deserve the death penalty are the very people who choose not to abide by such legislation but then rely so heavily upon it. The whole system is ridiculous. The death penalty doesn't have to be expensive, where there's will there's a way, and there surely is a way to do it cheap as chips.

Back
Top Bottom