Hiphop fans in here?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I discovered Black Rob through Spotify today (2005 album Black Rob Report) - I've heard one of his songs before which I have a single of (Whoah) but this album is great.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
"I had this bad b**** up town, she was woah!"

That takes me back to my youth (well college lol!) I don't recall liking his album, or at least I didn't listen to it much when I was younger, may have to dig it out and get back on it.

Associate
I've been listening to NAS's breakthrough album "Illmatic", even to this day it sounds awesome, lyrically it's one of the best I've ever heard and the beats & flow are simply amazing.

Mac Miller is also quite decent in my opinion, he might not be to everyones taste but his music is different to a lot of hip hop. Also I've been listening to a lot of Fabolous lately, he's really underrated in my opinion. I've always liked his music, he's always been consistent too.

Lupe Fiasco is another artist who is unique, his latest album is also one of the best I've heard in the past few years. His lyrics are quite different from other mainstream hip hop artists and he makes some cool beats.

Associate

Anybody know Greydon Square?

I have no interest in 'bitches, guns, cars and money' hiphop but Greydon Squares more political stance appealed to me.

Last edited:
Soldato
He does a lot of spoken word as I think he originally came from the more slam poetry side of things, but he's slowly getting into more of a hip-hop groove. His latest mixtape is way better than his debut, and he's already talking about recording another one. It's also got a cracking remix of Justice's D.A.N.C.E on it and you can tell he's got some pretty diverse tastes.

He's certainly prolific, and I think once he finds 'his' sound, then he'll really fly. He's still so young and obviously very talented. I find hard not to wonder if he could end up being as good as Mos Def - I can't think of anyone else who was this good this young.

Associate
He does a lot of spoken word as I think he originally came from the more slam poetry side of things, but he's slowly getting into more of a hip-hop groove. His latest mixtape is way better than his debut, and he's already talking about recording another one. It's also got a cracking remix of Justice's D.A.N.C.E on it and you can tell he's got some pretty diverse tastes.

He's certainly prolific, and I think once he finds 'his' sound, then he'll really fly. He's still so young and obviously very talented. I find hard not to wonder if he could end up being as good as Mos Def - I can't think of anyone else who was this good this young.

Got a remix of rap D.A.N.C.E remix by benny blanco on my ipod. Just saying :p

I'll check out this mixtape now. I have heard the name Mos Def but honestly don't really know who he is. I always kind of thought myself as a hip hop fan but realistically I'm not. I like Eminem a lot but other than that it is mostly modern mainstream stuff that I ever listen to. Only recently discovered Nas tbh. I think I am more a fan of grime but also like some hip-hop. I'm just a bit more picky with it.

Off the topic of George Watsky but someone who I found who isn't too well known are Nature of the Beast. They are a duo, one an MC and one a DJ and they seem pretty good despite having about 700 views on all their songs on youtube. They are on spotify though:
The DJ does a bit too much 'scratching' but the rapping is good. Is this even hip-hop though? I'll be honest that I find it very difficult to classify songs into genres further than rock, pop, rap, electronic and classical and even then there is crossovers between :rolleyes:

Associate
Yeah I did like it so I went on his wikipedia page to see what albums/mixtapes they had out and there is tons of EPs and stuff. Can't get all of them, any recommendations?

Soldato
Definitely get 'Seven's Travels' (I think it's their strongest overall album) and I also like 'To All My Friends, Blood Makes The Blade Holy' which is kind of darker, more chilled. Their new album 'The Family Sign' is also amazing - very very polished and smooth songwriting.

My current favourite album at the minute is the self-titled Doomtree album (who I got into after asked for a recommendation of people like Atmosphere), which has my current favourite track on it, 'Dots and Dashes':

Be warned, hip-hop is kind of addictive - you'll find one group then start listening to their side projects and find about five or six other groups you are into :)

Last edited:
Associate
Definitely get 'Seven's Travels' (I think it's their strongest overall album) and I also like 'To All My Friends, Blood Makes The Blade Holy' which is kind of darker, more chilled. Their new album 'The Family Sign' is also amazing - very very polished and smooth songwriting.

My current favourite album at the minute is the self-titled Doomtree album (who I got into after asked for a recommendation of people like Atmosphere), which has my current favourite track on it, 'Dots and Dashes':

Arghhh to much stuff to get. I have had this problem before where I get a whole bunch of music at the same time and tend to ignore some of it and then move on then months later, it will go onto it on shuffle on my ipod and I will actually like it. Need to get like one album per week to stop this happening :D

Be warned, hip-hop is kind of addictive - you'll find one group then start listening to their side projects and find about five or six other groups you are into :)

I know what you mean, it has happened with Jedi Mind Tricks before which then led onto Army of the Pharaohs and all of the individuals involved with that. I'm assuming you have heard of them?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom