ask_sodding_MID

Man of Honour
So how does AskMID work with those drivers that are not legally required to have insurance? i.e. those that are exempt.

As you'd expect it to, given it simply looks up the cars details in order to ascertain whether its logged as having an insurance policy in force on it. No insurance policy = not on the database, irrespective of whether somebody is actually insured to drive it.

Associate
[TW]Fox;19879303 said:
As you'd expect it to, given it simply looks up the cars details in order to ascertain whether its logged as having an insurance policy in force on it. No insurance policy = not on the database, irrespective of whether somebody is actually insured to drive it.

Indeed.

Soldato
It is actually a legal requirement that all UK registered vehicles are recorded on MID

Fair enough, in which case there should be a punishment for those companies who consistently make mistakes.

MID is used as proving your have insurance with a cover note or certificate doesn't always work. Take out insurance on direct debit, receive certificate, cancel insurance, wave certificate at policeman when required.

Any officer worth their salt would call the company to check the policy anyway. I've never been pulled over for a spot-check but I would expect them to call my insurer to verify my cover letter at the roadside.

Soldato
Sadly Jigger has raised a valid point.

That for the police the MID = all.

If your car isn't on it, then its not insured. If you insist it is insured, then its not on MID because you canceled the policy, stopped making regular monthly payments, or some other step which caused the policy to cease to exist.

The idea that the MID could in fact be wrong (because it so rarely is) means that sometimes, perfectly innocent people can end up having their cars seized for no insurance.

They do not have to appear in court, they do not get fined or prosecuted.

But you do end up landed with the recovery and impound costs :(
Yes I have had this before, car picked up with insurance but not on MID yet.

Car was siezed and ended up costing the police, most likely, recovery money because the policeman was a total dumbass who didn't understand that an insurance policy that states any car owned or lent to the policyholder is insured, even if the insurance company doesn't have the registration number on their computers whatsoever.

Luckily there was no impound costs or whatever to pay from our side.

Caporegime
I was watching Road Wars/Traffic Cops or whatever you call it this week and there was a chap who flagged up as uninsured on the ANPR. The police officer called the insurer who confirmed it was insured (there had been a typo on the certificate that caused the issue in this particular case) and the man was sent on his way. So what you have said doesn't ring true.

I'm sure i read that this happened to somebody's wife on here.

Let me see if i can find the thread.

*edit*

No can't find it :( I'm sure it was somebody's wife. He produced the insurance certificate and got his car back. But he still had to pay the recovery costs. Maybe somebody else remembers it ? i couldn't believe that just because it was night and couldn't phone the insurer, they seized it and landed him with the costs because of insurer error.

Last edited:
Soldato
Totally depends on the officer you are dealing with, I've been stopped and told my car has "no insurance" then given a producer and later that day shown my documents.

There was no talk of taking the car away (they had the power to). It's all more of a inconvenience than anything else, Some times large it would seem.

Last edited:
Associate
Agreed, the power to seize conferred on the constable under S.165A is discretionary as the law states that "the constable may..."

The implication of this is that individual police forces should have in place policy and guidance for how their constables should exercise this discretion.

Soldato
Yes I have had this before, car picked up with insurance but not on MID yet.

Car was siezed and ended up costing the police, most likely, recovery money because the policeman was a total dumbass who didn't understand that an insurance policy that states any car owned or lent to the policyholder is insured, even if the insurance company doesn't have the registration number on their computers whatsoever.

Luckily there was no impound costs or whatever to pay from our side.

But the car was still wrongfully confiscated?

Back
Top Bottom