*** OcUk 2011 Distributed Computing Competition ***

Soldato

The Why ...

Team OcUk Seti@Home is about to re-enter the world's top ten list by output and what better way to celebrate than a competition to actively encourage all users and hopefully garner some new members. We have well over 1200 members only 10% - 12% of which are active crunchers.

The team is what its all about, no one person is any more or less important than the next, every single work unit crunched is greatfully accepted no contribution is too big or too small.

Seti@Home is not the only worthwhile distributed computing project out there and most of us are active members of more than one team so its only right to include them all in this competition.

Ok lets get the dull stuff out of the way ...

The When ...

The Competition will run from today Sunday 21st August 2011 untill Midnight Sunday 16th October 2011 and the "results" will be published Sunday October 23rd 2011.

The Who ...

The Competition is open to all existing team members and new members who join the OcUk Seti@Home team or any of the following

Team OcUk Team 10 Folding@Home team

Team OcUk Einstein@Home team

Team OcUk Milkyway@Home team

Team OcUk Rosetta@Home team

Team OcUk ClimatePrediction team

Team OcUk LHC@Home team

The How ...

Just post in this thread "in it to win it" and your name will go on the entries list.

Existing members just keep doing what you do not forgetting the "in it to win it" post, new members download the boinc client and choose your project. All the projects are available from the add projects link once Boinc is installed, with the exception of Folding@home please view the Folding@home news thread for info on how to usethe Folding@Home client. Links to the apps you may choose to use are at the bottom of this post. If you get stuck or have a problem with anything to do with setting up or understanding what it is your doing just drop your question in the Seti News thread or Folding@Home News thread and someone will be along sharpish to help out.

Existing members and any new members who join have to have at least 14 days of continuous positive output for their chosen team between the competition start date and end date.

By continuous positive output we mean a contribution of above zero we will be watching ;)

You with us so far? good good :)

I thought long and hard about how to choose our winners without cries of "fowl" "fix" and the like so decided on the following.

On Sunday 18th September will pose a "question" and everyone that has entered gets to choose one answer and one answer only which cannot be changed, no 2 members can choose the same answer so once a particular guess has been taken then it cannot be used again ..... all will become clear when the question is posed on September 18th.

So when the competition closes on sunday 16th October, providing you have your 14 days of positive continuous credit for your chosen project and have entered your answer to "the question" the person closest to the actual answer wins and second closest 2nd place etc.

The Buisness ...

Some of the prizes have been donated by team members if you have anything you would like to add please contact me via trust, if you want your contribution to remain private please let me know if you want it blurting out all over the place (and why not) trust message/email will do it.

The Question

Tried to think of something random, short of filling a bath full of beans and asking "how many in the tub" thought this would do instead.
Excuse the disaster zone but finally got rid of this lot after deciding not to work from home, question is how many dvds would you fit on the shelves?
The tv is 46" thats your only clue ..... start guessing :)

The How ...

By continuous positive output we mean a contribution of above zero we will be watching ;)

You with us so far? good good :)

I thought long and hard about how to choose our winners without cries of "fowl" "fix" and the like so decided on the following.

On Sunday 18th September will pose a "question" and everyone that has entered gets to choose one answer and one answer only which cannot be changed, no 2 members can choose the same answer so once a particular guess has been taken then it cannot be used again ..... all will become clear when the question is posed on September 18th.

So when the competition closes on sunday 16th October, providing you have your 14 days of positive continuous credit for your chosen project and have entered your answer to "the question" the person closest to the actual answer wins and second closest 2nd place etc.

As Seti has thrown more than a few hissy fits of late we have extended the competition by 1 week so the competition will end on Sunday October 23rd which means your last possible entry date to get your 14 days of credit is Sunday October 9th unless of course your allready crunching now lets see a few more entries and if your "in it to win it" be sure to get your guestimate in on time :)

£400 OcUk Gift Vouchers

Marine Iguana 2245 - 2nd - 1 x GTX 295 - POSTING SPECIAL DELIVERY 27/10/11
martynbez 2282 - 3rd - 1 x week folding/crunching on a super rig - donated by Mr Biffa - SORTED ..... JEALOUS AS HECK!
eggcup 2300 - 4th - £75 OcUk Gift Vouchers - donated by Mr BaBa - FORWARDED YOUR DETAILS TO MR BABA
Culinia 2313 - 5th - £50 OcUk Gift Vouchers - POSTING SPECIAL DELIVERY 27/10/11
The Tross 2340 - 6th - 1 x GTX 280 - donated by Mr k3v
frozennova 2350 - 7th - 1 x GTS 250 - donated by Mr BaBa
Giskard2k 2366 - 8th - 1 x GTS 250 - donated by Mr BaBa - FORWARDED YOUR DETAILS TO MR BABA
Reaver 2375 - 9th - £25 OcUk Gift Vouchers - donated by Mr BaBa JUST WAITING ON YOUR DETAILS
Philthy Phil 2390 - 10th - £20 OcUk Gift Vouchers - POSTING RECORDED DELIVERY 31/10/11
Mr Brightside 2400 - 11th - 1 x 8800GTS 512mb - donated by Mr BaBa - FORWARDED YOUR DETAILS TO MR BABA
edgedemon 2560 - 12th - 1 x 8800GTS 512mb - donated by Mr Baba - SORTED
hanluc 2598 - 13th - £15 OcUk Gift Vouchers - POSTING RECORDED DELIVERY 27/10/11
Shadowscotland 2600 - 14th - 1 x Gigabyte/Ocuk Polo T-Shirt + Msi 2011 Calendar - donated by OcUk Hq - POSTING RECORDED DELIVERY 27/10/11
MGP 2650 - 15th - 1 x Icy Box 3.5" External Hdd Enclosure + Msi 2011 Calendar - donated by OcUk Hq - POSTING RECORDED DELIVERY 27/10/11
joeyjojo 2661 - 16th - £15 OcUk Gift Vouchers - SENT
petriodet 2667 - 17th - 1 x Shogun 2 Digital download Coupon - donated by OcUk Hq - POSTED 1ST RECORDED 31/10/11
Captain Unlikely 2700 - 18th - 1 x Trackmania Canyon digital Download Coupon - donated by OcUk Hq - POSTING RECORDED DELIVERY 27/10/11
verbal 2805 - 19th - 1 x Stalker Call of Pripyat Digital Download Coupon - donated by OcUk Hq - JUST WAITING ON YOUR DETAILS
diogenese 2830 - 20th - £10 OcUk Gift Voucher - EMAILED
Loudbob 2860 - 21st - 1 x Trackmania Canyon digital Download Coupon - donated by OcUk Hq - POSTING RECORDED DELIVERY 27/10/11
duck 2870 - 22nd - 1 x Stalker Call of Pripyat Digital Download Coupon - donated by OcUk Hq - JUST WAITING ON YOUR DETAILS
Naptha 2880 - 23rd - 1 x Shogun 2 Digital download Coupon - donated by OcUk Hq - CODE EMAILED 27/10/11
WobblerJW 2898 - 24th - 1 x Trackmania Canyon digital Download Coupon - donated by OcUk Hq - CODE EMAILED 27/10/11
dekez 2932 - 25th - 1 x Stalker Call of Pripyat Digital Download Coupon - donated by OcUk Hq - CODE EMAILED
Tel 2996 - 26th - 1 x Preme Wireless Laser Presenter - donated by OcUk Hq - JUST WAITING ON YOUR DETAILS
lopkinfop 3000 - 27th - 1 x Shogun 2 Digital download Coupon - donated by OcUk Hq - CODE EMAILED
Chasser 3102 - 28th - 1 x Panda Security Global Protection 2012 with Act. Code - donated by OcUk Hq - POSTING RECORDED DELIVERY 27/10/11

Would be interesting to know what method some of you used to guess as most were well out, 202 dvds per shelf 10 shelves 2020 in total.

Congratulations to the prize winners, though i must say with all the brain power floating around these boards i thought you all would have got a bit closer!!

Would everyone who has won a prize please send me a trust message with your name and address, all prizes will be posted thursday morning and i will pass your details for those who have won a donated prize to those concerned.

I hope it has raised a bit of interest in disctributed computing if nothing else now i can concentrate on crunching for seti well done all.

Entries

1. Naptha - 2880
2. Marine Iguana - 2245
3. datalol-jack - 3575
4. dekez - 2932
5. TheTross - 2340
6. Ahleckz! -
7. hanluc - 2598
8. CaptainUnlikely - 2700
9. eggcup - 2300
10. manbearpig -
11. k3v - 3400
12. frozennova - 2350
13. WobblerJW - 2898
14. MGP - 2650
15. Fezzer -
16. Grimgoth - 3751
17. Culinia - 2313
18. Biffa - 3133
19. Reaver - 2375
20. FuffySheep - 3326
21. martynbez - 2282
22. The_Malteser -
23. Loudbob - 2860
24. Mr. Brightside - 2,400
25. didgemaster - 3226
26. Chasser - 3102
27. Pumpkinstew - 3333
28. verbal - 2805
29. shadowscotland - 2600
30. edgedemon - 2560
31. Giskard2k - 2366
32. PhilthyPhil - 2390
33. dfarrall
34. burrell
35. lopkinfop - 3000
36. petriodet - 2667
37. Tel - 2996
38. diogenese - 2830
39. BurntOut - 2095
40. duck - 2870
41. joeyjojo - 2661
Ever wish you had one of these monster rigs in your living room crunching/folding your chosen project?

48 Core Opteron Folding goodness (gracious me!)

Or even

Intel Core i7 970x with 12 threads and tri-fermi gtx 470 watercooled goodness?

Well now you can (allmost) Mr Biffa has very kindly offered the services of one of these two beauties to the 3rd prize winner, to fold/crunch the project of their own choosing for a full week :eek:

Great prize when you think, no setup shennanigans or more importantly no electricity bill - win win ! :D

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Last edited:
Soldato
OP
"in it too win it" :D

Hope my rig don't fail whilst this is on :eek: :p

Doh .... you went and said it, nah am sure it'll be ok just give it that restart to get your clocks back when you get the chance - duly entered sah and the best of luck to you :)

Might help if people seconded the idea of a sticky to keep the comp up there and active interest going - use your influence in high circles Mr M :eek::D

Soldato
OP
I would happily continue crunching without an incentive, and I'll probably bomb on the question, but hey: "in it too win it" :D ;) :p

Nice one the more the better - duly entered and the best of luck to you :)

Tried to think of allsorts as to how to pick winners but it couldn't be based on output that wouldn't be fair, and it had to be transaparent for the sake of the naysayers amongs us.
In the end a simple question where everyone stands a chance and as long as its getting interest stoked up it'll be worth it :)

Soldato
Excellent idea sir! :D This will be great for the team, many thanks to all those who are donating as well very generous :)

Oh and "in it to win it" :D :p I'll be crunching my usual mix :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Ah, that's cool Toxic - I wasn't commenting on the rules of the competition. :) I just tend to have a very wild kind of luck when it comes down to quizzes and such, haha. Seems like a great idea and I'm very much looking forward to participating with other fellow crunchers.

As for myself, I'll stick to FAH for now, but if I can upgrade to a BD rig later in September, I might dedicate a beastie to boinc, too. I used to have SETI, Milky and Rosetta projects going before I joined OCUK, but never really revisited them since that initial foray. :o

Soldato
OP
Ah, that's cool Toxic - I wasn't commenting on the rules of the competition. :) I just tend to have a very wild kind of luck when it comes down to quizzes and such, haha. Seems like a great idea and I'm very much looking forward to participating with other fellow crunchers.

As for myself, I'll stick to FAH for now, but if I can upgrade to a BD rig later in September, I might dedicate a beastie to boinc, too. I used to have SETI, Milky and Rosetta projects going before I joined OCUK, but never really revisited them since that initial foray. :o

:) No i just wanted you to realise you stood just as good a chance as anyone else as the question will be pretty easy - even if i don't think anyone will get it exactly they might come close though ;)

Seti@Home has allways been my favourite project, the ups and downs the stomping and the off chance of having something named after you - ego trip too.
Am waiting on some bits and pieces to arrive this week and i will finally have a small rig running folding@home only its a noble cause to be sure :)

Back
Top Bottom