Economic cars

Don
I highly recommend the car in my sig for economy motoring.
A BMW 750i Sport would be right up your street. 35mpg is possible on a long run and as it's a March 2006 model it's only £200 ish to tax.

Soldato
It's still the average or even better than some of you on here, I have been reading these threads for a while you know so I do know what a lot of you drive :p

IIRC i think you were the Prius owner trying to convince us before that you've embarrassed many gary boys with your Prius :D

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=18545007#post18545007

Give that a quick read for more Prius related lol's.

My particular favourite bit is:

izzy_eckerslike said:
I've lost count of how many boy racers I've left embarrassed after they attempted to race the 'muppet milk float'

and

izzy_eckerslike said:
all in all a very enjoyable car much admired by my 22 year old son and his mates

I was actually smiling at that last quote. I can just imagine your son and his mates all clammering to get a ride in the Priusterossa :D

I can't work out if the joke's on us, and you're just joking around and messing with us, but seriously, your Toyota Prius is slow, not quite slow, very slow. Ford KA's are only a second or so behind you, 0-60. You haven't embarrassed anyone with your Prius, apart from yourself :)

Soldato
Don't put too much stock in published MPG ratings. I've got a generation 2 Honda Insight ES hybrid. It's rated for about 61 MPG combined and 64 ish extra urban. In the real world I'll get 40 something in town, 50 something on a motorway and up to 80 MPG on a winding b road: the Honda IMA hybrid system loves acceleration followed by coasting or engine braking but doesn't run on electric only in low speed traffic like a Prius..

In reality most of my winding b roads are confined to weekends. Only done 800 ish miles in it so far and averaging low 50s MPG overall - not bad for a petrol but if I was constantly driving on motorways my old diesel octavia would do better.

It's not really fuel economy and tax that will make this an economical car for me though. I got it for around 3-4 grand less than I've seen any other insight of the equivalent age, condition and mileage. It's around 7-8 grand less than the same age mk3 Prius and a lot more fun to drive. It'll take a long time to make that up even assuming an extra 15 MPG and no tax with the prius.

Edit: due to the massive depreciation hit getting a poverty spec petrol Astra would have been even more economical (but I don't like them), as might getting a 10 year old banger with long MOT and being willing to putt up with its faults (I'm not). People don't seem to realise that depreciation usually dwarfs fuel costs (and efficiency savings) in newer cars.

Last edited:
Associate
IIRC

I can't work out if the joke's on us, and you're just joking around and messing with us, but seriously, your Toyota Prius is slow, not quite slow, very slow. Ford KA's are only a second or so behind you, 0-60. You haven't embarrassed anyone with your Prius, apart from yourself :)

LOL, Ford Ka is what? Now who is looking silly, I suppose 14.3 seconds for the KA is very similar to 9.8, basing it on the theory that you work on a 5 second miscalculation I would think the Prius is faster than your BMW

Soldato
[TW]Fox;20054397 said:
What do we drive then thats slower than your Prius?

I think some of you seriously need to look at the 0-60 of the cars you drive before taking the mick regarding hybrid cars , some of the new Mondeo's are 0-60 12sec, Ford Focus 12.6,
The golf 1.8gti is wait for it 9.6 seconds & NON of those are automatic

but in all honesty why the big deal over a second or 2 ??

Associate
The sportka has a published 0.60 of 9.7 seconds.

So you struggled to find a special version of the KA to prove your claim :rolleyes: then you read the revues & see:

Ford Ka Sportka ... the reason being the 0-60 on the car is closer to 11 seconds than 9.7 Ford quote, ... I would point out that the Prius has been clocked at 0-60 - 8.8 seconds as read on the Toyota owners forum

Man of Honour
I think some of you seriously need to look at the 0-60 of the cars you drive before taking the mick regarding hybrid cars

Ok sure.

The car I sold this weekend: 0-60 5.1
The car I've owned since 2006: 0-60 6.7

Now I've seriously looked at the 0-60 of the cars I drive can I return to taking the mick out of somebody who thinks that the Prius offers 'excellent acceleration'?

Note I don't actually think that the performance of the Prius is particularly terrible for what it is - I just think it's a bit deluded to state it's excellent, because it isn't. You don't embarras diesel Golfs on the Motorway in a Prius - it's not capable of doing that and neither is it designed for doing that.

Associate
[TW]Fox;20054588 said:
Ok sure.

The car I sold this weekend: 0-60 5.1
The car I've owned since 2006: 0-60 6.7

Now I've seriously looked at the 0-60 of the cars I drive can I return to taking the mick out of somebody who thinks that the Prius offers 'excellent acceleration'?

Note I don't actually think that the performance of the Prius is particularly terrible for what it is - I just think it's a bit deluded to state it's excellent, because it isn't. You don't embarras diesel Golfs on the Motorway in a Prius - it's not capable of doing that and neither is it designed for doing that.

That's a complete joke posting that & you know it, your driving every day types of car are you ?? the cars that seemingly everyone on this forum drives except me?? don't make me larf.
You have absolutely no idea of what your talking about re the Prius because you have never driven one. Go on, take a test drive at your local Toyota , put the vehicle in power mode & then come back on here & & admit you were wrong.
You underestimate the power of a 600 volt 3 phase electric motor, why do you think the Nissan leaf does 0-60 in 7 seconds???

Man of Honour
That's a complete joke posting that & you know it,

What? Somebody asked me to take a look at the 0-60 of what I drive before I 'take the mick'. So I did what I was asked and now thats a total joke?

your driving every day types of car are you ?? the cars that seemingly everyone on this forum drives except me?? don't make me larf.

This is a forum predominantly inhabited by car enthusiasts. The average car isn't a Focus 1.4.

Go on, take a test drive at your local Toyota , put the vehicle in power mode & then come back on here & & admit you were wrong.

Power mode eh? Awesome stuff.

Why wont power mode allow it to lug itself to 60 in less than 9.8 seconds then?

What I take issue here is not the performance of the Prius. For the sort of car it is the performance is entirely acceptable. It's you thinking its some sort of rocket when it's absolutely not.

I own a 1.0 micra. You cannot drive it 'tickling' the throttle, as it simply doesn't move.
Therefore the real life mpg is crap compared to the claimed mpg.

A 1.1 diesel engine will be absolutely horrific for mpg as it will need constantly ragging.

Back
Top Bottom