Dissertation- Computer science

Caporegime
Yeah, I know someone who made some kind of e-learning website (which was essentially a simple CMS). It was well produced and he spent an awful lot of time coding it, but I don't think he scraped even 50% for it.

When I was an undergrad any kind of website based project, even with more complex database programing or whatever would be capped at 50-55% MAX, however good it was etc.

Computer science != computing.

Associate
When I was an undergrad any kind of website based project, even with more complex database programing or whatever would be capped at 50-55% MAX, however good it was etc.

Computer science != computing.

Thats not really fair. I know some people who built very complex machine learning/A.I systems, with essentially web front ends. That is computer science.

Put a standard console/gui front end on and get 90%

Put a web front end on and get 50%?

I mean, if you made the first sentient like chat bot, and put a web interface on it, you would only get 50%? I find that hard to believe =P

Last edited:
Soldato
Thats not really fair. I know some people who built very complex machine learning/A.I systems, with essentially web front ends. That is computer science.
That's a bit different to a basic database driven website. My project had a web front end, but the backend implemented a bunch of novel algorithms and data mining techniques, and most of the marks I received was for developing and researching those

Associate
That's a bit different to a basic database driven website. My project had a web front end, but the backend implemented a bunch of novel algorithms and data mining techniques, and most of the marks I received was for developing and researching those

I thought he meant any web type stuff involved, automatically capped the project :)

Associate
Talk to whoever you've been assigned as your project supervisor. Prepare before hand several ideas to go through with him/her and see which one is most suited. We were advised against doing things like a helpdesk system as it had been done to death. Original thinking, theoretical validity and practical use will help.

I wrote a windows system prober using WMI/LINQ/SQL with a C# gui and asp.net frontends. The WMI and LINQ parts gave me a lot of weight when it came to researching the project, the former being quite unknown in detail and the latter still being developed at the time of my project.

Soldato
Another Computer Science student here, final year project I did was an e-commerce store for a Birmingham based company.

Being interested in the company and getting to know them seemed to motivate me well enough into producing something actually worthwhile.

Find something that interests you, it will need to drive you for the next 6 months or so :) Well...2-3 months if you want to push it Jan-Mar like most of us did ;)

Associate
These all seem more in depth than mine :p

I made a program (in java) that forced itself to the top of the screen with a library terms of use, and then periodically forced multiple choice questions to the front of the screen to make sure you had read the T&C's properly. If you got it right the window would close, if you got it wrong the T&C's would come up again followed by a question.

I wasn't a very good java programmer but my report was reasonable.

Soldato
My now-wife made a post it notes type program that had multiple types of notes (lists, quick to-do, organiser, meeting, multi-note) and was network aware - you could send notes to other users and the like. She went on to work for 3M in a totally unrelated area but this was credited as one of the best projects of the year as it had everything from storage concepts through to network sending.

I on the other hand wrote something that could organise game lan tourneys through UT99 with setup/teardown remote server, provide con string to players, listen for final score, do tournament table via double elim. It was so hashed together I have no idea how they liked it (but my demo of the system was spectacular) but I played to the strengths of my assessors - he kept boxed copies of FPSs in his office and wrote in the language he taught.

We too was advised to stay away from any ticket system, any website (unless I was providing the next facebook) and anything that didn't apply anything you'd learned over the last year or so. I personally stayed well away from AI (not enough control), I wanted something where the outcome would be known and I could "tune" my demo/presentation towards.

Soldato
Im doing the 3rd year of my BSc ISM Degree and I have still not got a clue what to do my dissertation on :|

We were told to steer clear from research based stuff (presume that its hard to mark??) and to do something practical.

The only thing I think i could do is create some form of IT Management software suite that would basically be a web-based interface connected to a database.

I do not really want to do this as reading above its capped to 50% (maybe?) and its nothing new there are many software suites like this out there, mine would just include several features from different suites.

Associate
My 3rd year project was entitled: "An examination into the Complexity Profiles of Non-Linear Feedback Shift Registers".

I got a 1st for it.

Associate
I didn't do a computer science dissertation (mine was in physics) but what I can tell you is, learn LaTeX or else your actual write up will look very poor - especially if you end up using a huge amount of references and/or mathematics.

Associate
<geek>
LaTeX written stuff looks lurvely :)
</geek>

My dissertation was on the automatic creation and solving of autostereograms (magic eye pictures).

It worked, I made pictures, today my write up makes me cringe, but I got at high 2:1 for it :)

Aod

Aod

Soldato
My dissertation (earlier this year :eek:) was a forensic analysis of an android mobile phone. Even now, I cringe about how much more I could have included, but everyone tells me it was fantastic and I got 82% for it :confused:
If it had been a 15 or 20k wordlimit I could have done so much more :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom