Using a second router as wireless repeater

Soldato
I got fibre optic installed at my house today, having only a few months ago purchased a new routeR. My desktop PC doesn't have wireless but it is wired to the old router.

As the fibre optic router is downstairs and my old router is upstairs I am wanting to use my old router as a repeater so I can still get online with my desktop (I know I could probably just buy a wireless card but wireless doesn't like walls or floors very much)

The router attached to my PC is plugged in to a phoneline located my parents bedroom.

However the fibre optic connection and router are located in my mums office (downstairs)

I know that sounds complicated lol

My question is how the hell do I use my old router as a repeater so I can get a decent wired connection upstairs.

Routers I'm using

Netgear N150 (fibre optic router)
Netgear N300 Rangemax

I tried accessing the repeater settings in both routers and inputting the mac address like it said to, but the N300 just times out

Last edited:
Soldato
But if you use your router as a repeater that means the two routers are communicating over wireless so you may as well just use a £12 wireless USB thing?

If the router can be used as a repeater the option is usually easy to see in the config, so assu,ing you have looked in the config and have not been able to find the option it's probably not possible

Sorry this does not really answer your question

Soldato
Just out of curiosity, do you have an actual fibre connection in your house? or are you just saying fibre optic but are just talking about Virgin Media which is fibre to the cabinet and then coax from there, through your house, and to your modem? or maybe even a new FTTC connections offered for DSL (which again, isn't fibre optic in your house).

Associate
If the wireless signal will reach from your own router by your pc to the new router in your mums office, see if your router will run in wireless-client mode. You force it connect to the wireless network advertised by your new router in the office, but it connects to your own pc via ethernet. Its similar to purchasing a wireless usb dongle, but you're just using your old router as a "dongle" (for want of a better word!).

Alternatively, grab a pair of homeplugs to use existing cabling in your house to connect the rooms together.

Make sense?

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys great advice. Dist, it's not Virgin Media, I'm with Plusnet 40Mb broadband (well advertised as 40Mb, actual download rate is closer to 500kbs to 1.5mb)

Edit: Just realised how annoying the difference between the big B and little b is, 40Mb is a lot slower than 40MB lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom