• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Wierd old GPU overheating issue

Associate
Hi,

For various reasons I have recently put an old 8800GT back into my PC. It used to run fine, when idling on auto mode in nTune the fan would be nice & quiet & the card never got particularly hot.

Now just when idling the fan is at 85-90% on auto and the card is getting toward 90 degrees. I haven't even dared trying a game on it fearing a meltdown! I am using the latest drivers from nVidia.

Has anyone got any idea why there has been such a drastic change in temperatures? Is it something to do with the new drivers? It's a BFG 8800GT 512Mb OC.

Thanks,

Rowan

Associate
OP
Hi,

I've just tried cleaning the dust out of it, there was quite a bit. I also cleaned it all out & re-applied the thermal paste as it looked pretty ropey. I also reverted back to the oldest driver version I can find (197.45).

Seems to have helped a bit, fan's running at 47% but still very hot, even with the side of the case off.

Cheers,

RowBot

Back
Top Bottom