BT Infinity

Associate
I've just found out I can now get BT Infinity installed and intend to order this as soon as possible, I'm currently with Sky LLU (currently their BB is appalling!). I've never had to change broadband supplier before as when we moved in nearly 4 years ago we signed up to Sky broadband straight away (previously we used Virgin media at a different address), what order will I need to do things in?

Would it be best to arrange installation with BT and then inform Sky I wish to cancel their BB package and have the end date the day of the BT install? I take it as it's LLU I won’t need a MAC code?

Associate
OP
Thanks, I've got a BT line and I pay line rental to BT, so that simplifies things. On Monday I'll call them both and find out what to do. I'm not sure if BT will contact Sky on my behalf and cancel with them or if that's something I'll have to arrange. I'm looking forward to Monday now!

Associate
OP
Having done a bit more research, I'm going to give Sky a call today and request my MAC code, once I have that it looks like I can enter this on the BT site when ordering and in theory the switch from Sky to BT should be quite simple. However that's in theory, we'll see how it goes!

Associate
OP
Right, just phoned Sky, they are going to send out a MAC code to me in the next 3-5 working days by post and email. So once I have this I can start the order process with BT Infinity and hopefully get connected at around 20x faster.

Soldato
It certainly does, it's still DSL, just VDSL instead of ADSL. Same kind of situation applies really - the BT tech fits a filtered faceplate to your master socket, just like they used to do with ADSL installs before the plug in filters became an option.

Associate
OP
You'll probably have to pay BT something like £60 to get out of LLU and back to BT though...

I've had a look on the BT site and gone as far as I can with the order process, (until it asks for the MAC code) and it would appear that installation is free. And we already pay BT for the line rental so that's one less thing to switch back.

Associate
OP
UPDATE: I phoned Sky to check what was happening with my MAC code and they were able to read it out to me over the phone, I've now completed the order with BT and the engineer is coming to install it on Thursday 27th October. So hopefully if it all goes to plan I'll be able to show a result from speedtest later on that day!

Associate
OP
I Had BT Inifnity installed this morning. There was no issues with the MAC code, I received a call from the installer, then the phone and Sky broadband went off, after around 10 minutes the phone was back and working. The install took around 5 minutes and involved changing the faceplate on the master socket and plugging in the modem and home hub.

Shortly after the installer had gone I removed the Home Hub and re-connected my Tomato router (Linksys WRT54GL) setup the PPPoE settings and it just worked.

Anyway, here's the result from Speedtest:

Associate
Word of warning make sure you phone Sky and cancel your broadband with them. Despite asking for a MAC code BT don't actually 'use it' when installing Infinity and hence Sky WILL keep billing you.

Associate
Word of warning make sure you phone Sky and cancel your broadband with them. Despite asking for a MAC code BT don't actually 'use it' when installing Infinity and hence Sky WILL keep billing you.
I had this problem when I switched to Infinity from Virgin DSL. Only noticed it after three months, took Virgin another six weeks to get the cheque out to me. :eek:

Associate
OP
I'm keeping an eye on the bill from Sky to make sure they don't continue taking payment. One good sign is I had an email from Sky this morning letting me know that BT had used the MAC code and that the broadband from Sky had been cancelled.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Shortly after the installer had gone I removed the Home Hub and re-connected my Tomato router (Linksys WRT54GL) setup the PPPoE settings and it just worked.

You will probably want a better router if you upgrade to 80/20 as I believe the WRT54GL's routing power maxes out at roughly 40Mb/s.

Associate
OP
It's something I'm looking to get next. I mentioned to the installer about the 80/20 speed increase and he said it would need a new modem and there would probably be a charge for the upgrade - any information on how true this is?

Associate
It's something I'm looking to get next. I mentioned to the installer about the 80/20 speed increase and he said it would need a new modem and there would probably be a charge for the upgrade - any information on how true this is?
I don't think there's been any official word on that, but it does make sense. Hopefully it won't be too much though.

Back
Top Bottom