loading external html into website again!

Associate
Hi,

here is the scenerio.

I need to load an external html product catologue into a website.

I shall not use frames, iframes or wrappers(as in joomla).
I have tried jquery loading the site into a DIV but due to issues with cross domain security I cannot do this.

The catalogue is html and I can also have a csv feed.

Like I say I really do not want to use a frameset but I am struggling on how to implement the solution.
My only thoughts now are to have a landing page on each product area and the switch to framed browsing when the navigation pressed.

I am basically creating a frontend which needs good SEO (hence the landing page ideas )for the site, the backend is ALL handled on another domain.

Probably PHP is the way forward, or if anyone knows of a CMS capable of achieving this all the better.

sensible thoughts please.

Associate
Unless you use a iframe I don't think it can be done reliably unfortunately.

Using the CSV with some php would be the best option. Don't know much about Joomla so can't help with the specifics, see if they have a plugin (or whatever Joomla call them) that will help. Pull the CSV into a database then you can create your pages.

Other CMS to look at would be Drupal and possibly XOOPS/Impress.

If you have some coding background then custom would be the best bet maybe using a good framework like Yii, Code igniter or similar. As you are after SEO rankings then page load speeds are an issue.

Associate
OP
thanks staffy,

seems I have no real option, so here is my plan:

I shall import the csv into a database.
Menus and navigation will point to the database on the same domain.
When a display item is clicked, I will display the item in an iframe loading content from the external domain.
The Cart process etc can all be handled through the Iframe i.e. externally.

Gives me plenty of room then for special offers/bestsellers etc around the Iframe etc.

So any suggestions welcome

Associate
Reading straight from a CSV file can add quite a large bit of overhead to the site especially for some of these affiliate type deals.

This can affect the hosting but depending on the size of the file it can also annoy the hosts as it can use a large chunk of memory up (on cheaper hosts that is). The best way can only be decided by testing.

Can they not supply you with a RSS feed?

Again if you are relying on the Search Engines then keep an eye on page load times.

Associate
OP
Hidden iframes eh ?

Seems to be quite a common "ish" occurance to use this method, but wonder how it would handle any active content its spat out onto the page.

I am sure the initial reading and writing of the csv would work, however would the off site cart etc work? not sure it would as it will need to update off site and be displayed locally if you get my drift.

There has to be a simpler solution without hacks to display this csv catologue and incorporate the external domains content dynamically.

Associate
To be honest you need to test it. What is the difference between the csv and the site itself.

I doubt that the iframe shopping cart will work and if it does it would put people off as some browsers will show a security error if you try to keep them on your domain.

Them supplying you a rss feed would be a better option.

How do they recommend that it is done?

Associate
OP
Yes the rss feed is a good idea but not going to happen.

I use an Atom and RSS Extractor and Displayer script in a lot of sites to display the feed in a DIV in html, works a treat plus does away with an iframe.

thanks for the thread link, some good ideas there; using json and curl look possibilities.

Back
Top Bottom