Skoda

Soldato
Looks nice Phil :) Lets hope the VAG quality is better for you than it was for me :D

Sounds reasonable all in all, will see 220-230BHP with a remap I bet :) 3" downpipe and sports cat for added spool speed, they do go well!

Soldato
If I didn't have my 2 current cars (200sx and Polo) then the VRS is definitely something I would consider as it has the practicality (learned to drive in the 1.6 petrol) and the sportiness in equal measure.

Top colour too, the only colour that beats that is the Blue, but that may have only been available on the Mk2 (correct me if wrong)

Associate
If I didn't have my 2 current cars (200sx and Polo) then the VRS is definitely something I would consider as it has the practicality (learned to drive in the 1.6 petrol) and the sportiness in equal measure.

Top colour too, the only colour that beats that is the Blue, but that may have only been available on the Mk2 (correct me if wrong)

Yep, Mk1 only came in black/red/yellow/silver and the limited edition WRC in white (and a few police ones)

Soldato
ive seen them block quite badly (on later AUM engines on wards, due to "long life" servicing)
but thats only been on 100-120k mile ones.

obviously there would be no harm in pulling the sump, but id be suprised if there was much to find in there (oil hopefully but no burnt crap)

Associate
i thought that, but its only done 40k ish miles, id be amazed if there was much gunk in there (joys of a low miler?)

At around 80k miles the baffle was completely clogged (It's been on long life serving since new). We decided to pull the sump on my brothers as a precautionary measure (it's done slightly fewer miles) and it was on it's way to being as bad too.

It's not a huge job, just maybe something to bear in mind and to consider at the next service.

Caporegime
At around 80k miles the baffle was completely clogged (It's been on long life serving since new). We decided to pull the sump on my brothers as a precautionary measure (it's done slightly fewer miles) and it was on it's way to being as bad too.

It's not a huge job, just maybe something to bear in mind and to consider at the next service.

My 1.8T was clogged badly at 84k so much so it broke down on the ring and i had to get a german VW garage to swap the pickup out.

Soldato
OP
Can the pickup pipe be swapped on its own? Searching the net seems to just come up with pump and pipe together.

Oil was changed just before i got the car but i'm going to do it again just for peace of mind.

Soldato
yes. remove the sump and the pick up can be removed by itself.

the pick up doesnt have to be replaced, you clean it out and then refit it

Soldato
OP
Ah righty. Is the mouting points for it difficult to access or something? One would assume you remove the sump and the pickup pipe will be there staring at you?

Can't find any guides to remove/replace or clean online...

Soldato
the sump is a bit of a pain. there are TWO bolts that are hidden behind the flywheel. get those wrong and youve got to remove the flywheel to access them.

a 5mm ball head allen or a good 10mm 1/4 drive socket always work for me.

you need liquid gasket to refit the sump also

Back
Top Bottom