HP DM1

Soldato
Hi,

Does anyone know when HP will be releasing the updated DM1, with E450 and Core i3 options in the UK?

I really like the look of this, aside from the glossy screen - is a great alternative to the Lenovo X121e

Associate
And once again, similar to its predecessor (the hp dm1-3201sa), a 4GB RAM machine comes with 32-bit Windows 7.

Which Einstein in HP is actually coming up with such configurations...

Soldato
OP
Look what just arrived! ;)

20111013_142930.jpg

Soldato
OP
Would be nice to compare the following:

Windows 7 Experience Index
3D Mark 06 and Vantage

For comparison, a nice X120E review is here with some benchmarks: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X120e-Laptop-Review.56445.0.html

At work at the mo, but I did a quick W7 Experience test, lowest was 3.9 (CPU) all the others were 5-5.9. I'll be putting in an SSD soon :)

Nice, can you tell us where you bought it and the price? :D

Can't tell you were from, as it would be against the forum rules. But it was £349 and the model number is DM1-4027sa. I'm sure you can find a seller with the model number.

Associate
This laptop looks great and I am seriously thinking to get one as well (I was thinking about macbook air originally but it seems it is worth waiting for next year for the airs to get the ivy bridge update which will boost the graphics by something like 60% according to some reviews).

First thing I will do if I finally get it is to install the 64-bit version of windows 7; speaking of this I am afraid you cannot use the same licence key...it will have to be a new one...

My only concern though is whether the drivers and utilities (especially coolsense) are currently available from hp for the 64-bit platform...

Associate
I always thought that you could re-install with 64-bit on the same key. I'm sure we upgraded our desktop from 32-bit to 64-bit vista home premium using the same key. I thought the only consideration was that otherwise, it was the same version.

I agree that the driver issue is a bit of a concern.

Associate
I always thought that you could re-install with 64-bit on the same key. I'm sure we upgraded our desktop from 32-bit to 64-bit vista home premium using the same key. I thought the only consideration was that otherwise, it was the same version.

To be honest I always regarded the 32-bit and 64-bit as two separate products therefore the different keys issues.

I have never tried it myself but if you have been successful making the switch (between same versions though) I guess it is doable after all.

Soldato
OP
Am I being an idiot as I can't find it listed anywhere....

Nope; neither can I...

It was listed in one retailer's website until 2-3 days ago but not anymore....doesn't seem to be available anywhere anymore...

We're talking about the same website, they must have ran out/removed it. Glad I ordered it now :D

Btw, Scottland, which finish does it come with?

Is it the smooth greyish one or the more "solid" dark one?

It's a smooth plain plastic finish, in a dullish grey colour. I was expecting the soft-touch pattened finish as per the youtube line in the 2nd post, but unfortunately not - it looks a bit plain.

WRT x86/x64 - I've already installed an OEM copy of x64 but not tried to register it yet so I'll update with my findings.

There's a few more pictures here

Last edited:
Associate
Argh this is beyond frustrating! wanted one of these since they where announced back in September. HP since then have given me false information telling me it was going to be released in the UK on October 2nd. Now seeing you have got I looked on the site I'm pretty sure you got it from (still viewable in a Google cached page) to have both that company and HP refuse to acknowledge they have ever sold any in the UK nor will they give me a release date for the UK !:mad: Can anyone possibly recommend anything that's in the same price bracket that's better or similar ? Or more e450 net books on the horizon?

Associate
You cant buy an e450 Asus 1215b yet in this country either :mad: So I guess I will just be waiting for a while, godamn HP!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom