New Samsung S23A700D 120Hz

Associate
Nope, they may have DVI but still use Samsungs own 3D glasses and emitter, which is not compatible with 3D Vision (out of the box anyway :p). For 3D Vision you have to use their glasses and emitter (again, i say out of the box, there IS a hack for it, but this also works with current Samsung monitors 750 and 950D, so its nothing new for this one).

This monitor with DVI doesn't bring native 3D Vision support, it just makes it easier to use with an Nvidia graphics card without using 3D Vision.

Soldato
Literally just found out about this monitor from reading this thread.

What gives? Why have they added support for dual link dvi when the 750 doesn't support it?

I also think this one will support 3d vision.

There is more information on this available on my website (link in signature) and it's been there for a while now. ;) The reason DVI wasn't included on the SA750 is due to the stand design which is where most of the electronics go - it is relatively compact and the extra port and electonics for DVI simply wouldn't fit without sacrificing something else. The SA700 series features a more conventional design with plastic stand and the monitor electonics houses behind the screen.

Associate
Nope, they may have DVI but still use Samsungs own 3D glasses and emitter, which is not compatible with 3D Vision (out of the box anyway :p). For 3D Vision you have to use their glasses and emitter (again, i say out of the box, there IS a hack for it, but this also works with current Samsung monitors 750 and 950D, so its nothing new for this one).

This monitor with DVI doesn't bring native 3D Vision support, it just makes it easier to use with an Nvidia graphics card without using 3D Vision.

So if i grab the nvidia glasses & emitter, would i be able to use nvidia 3d vision?

Associate
Not with the Samsung no, the 3D Vision Kit (glasses and emitter) only works with 120hz 3D monitors that don't come bundled with their own glasses.

However, if you have a monitor with its own glasses and built in emitter (such as the Samsung ones mentioned in this thread) you can download a 3D Vision Emitter emulator. If you have an Nvidia graphics card and install this emulator, the Nvidia Drivers are tricked into thinking the monitors emitter is actually a 3D Vision one and 3D Vision will be enabled.

Soldato
Yes - some more info here - http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18332104&highlight=s23a700d/.

"It should essentially be very similar to the S23A750D but due to the more conventional design it comes at a lower price. Some people are more comfortable with this aesthetic they have come to know from other similar Samsung monitors, too. It is just as geared towards 3D though, it includes the exact same 3D HyperReal engine and a pair of SSG-3150GB glasses."

Associate
annoying that it's £300 each though :( it's twice as much as what I got my lg w2363d for and I'd want to have three :(

thats it. The next round of 120hz monitors released are bound to be more expensive. One would say that the gamers want 120hz not necessarily the 3D option.. but they will pay for this anyway.
Hoping that LG will release a follow up to the W2363D - and soon. I'm sure it will bring the cost down for these types of monitors.

Soldato
Lots of people only even had the LG on their radar once it started costing around £160. When it was first launched it cost around £260-£280! The Samsung is a more complete package and offers a different experience. If it's anything like the S27A750D I've tested (which held its own next to the Apple Thunderbolt Display and various IPS and CRT monitors) this will be a much better one than the LG. So in many senses you will get what you pay for. I do expect that the price will decrease after launch.

LG are all focussed on pushing their passive tech. at the moment so there isn't a real replacement for the LG on the horizon at the moment.

Soldato
yeah, I saw a lg monitor on a competitor's website that was £200 and passive 3d, but there was a bad comment, there was only one comment on it :p, that said that it can't actually do 120hz

I really want a samsung passive 3d monitor, but it is hard for me to spend that type of money on a single monitor, hopefully the prices go down, if not, I'll either keep my lg monitor and get a couple of other 23" monitors or get three monitors that are all the same for 3d vision/eyefinity

Associate
Anyone got they're hands on this Samsung 120hz monitor yet to post a review/pics? I read somewhere someone saying it was too refelctive etc and had to go back?
I also read on pcmonitors.org that it's available and at a decent price to boot.

Soldato
Regarding reflectivity it seems to use the same Ultra Clear Panel surface as the larger models we have reviewed - so that will give you a good idea of what to expect. As I've said the UCP handles reflections in some lights much better than your typical AR surfaces and certainly much better than untreated glass. This is based on numerous side by side comparisons with ASUS ColorShine, HP BrightView, Dell TrueLife, untreated glass (Apple Cinema Display) and various others. It is still very much a glossy screen surface though and it just isn't something that will be suitable in some lighting conditions (particularly with light sources or high ambient light levels facing the screen) and I completely understand people having problems with that. There are also benefits to this kind of screen surface and a large part of this goes to shape the image that the Samsung monitors produce. I think that it's an absolute steal at the current price. I haven't used one but from the user reports I can glean and information from Samsung it should perform very similarly to the S23A750D which a colleague of mine owns - he also tested the S27A750D with me and said performance is similar. So I think it should be safe to carry opinions on the larger models over to this one. ;)

Soldato
It's understandable. It had a very low-profile launch (and hasn't really finished launching) and if I wasn't so well connected with Samsung I wouldn't have known about it and reported on it myself either.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just a question about this monitor, it seems to be the exact same as the S23A750D except for DVI instead of display port, same glasses, panel, specs, everything. Oh yeah and different design.

My question is, will AMD's 3d work over dual DVI? I am just about to purchase one of these and what exactly would the story be if I try out 3D on it. I am mainly buying for the 120Hz 2D, but might try out 3D since I am getting the glasses as well.

Also, on specs I have seen there is no support for HDCP, does this mean I won't be able to watch bluray movies on it? Again not a big concern as I have my plasma TV for that, but would like to see what some of the 3D movies are like.

Back
Top Bottom