*** OcUk 2011 Distributed Computing Competition ***

Permabanned
Sad thing about me and competitions, I would have won if I caught on sooner rather than later about this (1day, infact!). Check my reply with 2010 not so long back :p 10 off, boo yah! Now, if only my luck can have a turn for the lottery then i'll be set for life :p

Man of Honour
Ta for the results Mr T, I worked it out by using the width of what I though was your TV photoshopped in to fill the image then divided that by the width of a jewel case.

if that makes sense.

Soldato

I say! *monocle pops out* Congratulations to the winners and well done to all. :D

Below are things I thought about:

1) Play it safe and take the average (arithmetic population mean or mu, lol). Statistically guaranteed a good outcome, provided you post towards the end and there is sufficient number of replies. The more the better, really.

2) Random number - it worked very well for some, but is very much blind chance.

3) Take an object whose width is a known factor or easy to estimate: telly, stand or those headphones, for example. Use it to measure the total length of the shelf, divide by spine width of a standard case and you are done, just don't forget to multiply by the number of shelves at the end. This was my approach, but I estimated by eye and got it wrong on both counts. Hence my later thought.

4) Open the image in Photoshop, apply transform filters to ensure straight angles and proper orientation. Drag a ruler out and bingo!

5) Or you could use the telly to measure the total wall space, take away empty space and divide up the remainder into DVD cases. Too much room for error, though. :(

Soldato
I've won something? :eek: :eek: :D \o/

My answer was arrived at by obtaining an approximate width of the TV from t'internet, then using a ruler to work out a ratio of how wide the cabinet was in relation to the TV (made more difficult because of the angle of the photo :p) and finally dividing the derived cabinet width by the width of a DVD case and multiplying that answer by ten to account for all the shelves.

Soldato
Cheers for the results T, I won something yay! :D

I'm not sure how digital coupons work, you have my email but if you need me to do something let me know.

Congrats to all who won :)

I arrived at my answer by measuring the width of the while shelf holders on screen, then comparing to real life. I didn't like this answer so then I measured the PS3 and did it that way instead.

Soldato
I measured 1ft of DVDs, and guessed your wall was either 12 or 13ft, and did the calculations, went for 13ft unfortunately but never the less chuffed with my £15 OCUK vouchers :cool: Thank you very much, I can't remember ever winning anything before :p

Man of Honour
Not sure what I'll do with the GTS250 yet though. My main rig doesn't support SLi so it can't go in there and I need audio over HDMI on my media rig which the GTS250 doesnt do.

Looks like I'm buying an SLi capable AM3+ board, attempting to oven my old dead 8800GT and folding on all 3 cards. That is if funs allow

Associate
Cheers TTB, really enjoyed this competition.

I just guestimated it, guessed the width of 46" tv, guessed the length of the room from previous guess, actually measured a dvd case, did a bit of math.....and I actually won something :-0

Cheers mr Baba Sir!, you know that card is going straight to work for the cause..

Man of Honour
Congrats to the winners!
I just guessed a cool number :p

martynbez: let me know which rig you want to crunch on and what you want to crunch. Bear in mind the G34 is probably going to be best at folding and the 970X rig better at something that likes CUDA

Associate
I worked out the width of the TV roughly in my head, counted how many TV widths per shelf with my finger divided it by how wide i thought a DVD case was as I didn;t have one near me to measure and times it by 10, not really surprising I was quite far off. Still won something though and I had some fun folding

As its just a download code do you need my details or can you just send it to the email in my trust Mr T?

Back
Top Bottom