*** OcUk 2011 Distributed Computing Competition ***

Associate
:eek: I won something. Awesome :)

My approach was (from what I remember):
1) Consider a DVD case to be 15mm wide
2) Assume the TV is $diagonal_size (can't remember what I guessed)
3) Work out horizontal width from 2) using Pythagoras
4) Add some guess for the extra width due to the bezel and the stand
5) Use this to work out the length of a single shelf, based on a guess of what fraction of a length the stand was in width
6) Multiply number of shelves by number of DVDs per shelf, worked out from 5)
7) Subtract 100 from this to allow for space behind the TV
8) Round up/down (I think it was down) to reach 2400

MGP

MGP

Soldato
Yay, I won something. In the best of traditions a few thankyous:

My maths tutor for teaching me how to fudge a calculation.
ToxicTbag for helping me shed a few more grey cells
OcUK for their prize donation
My local supermarket for the bottle of celebratory bubbly
My employer for the borged cruncher

Soldato
I measured the tv's diagonal to get a scale for 46", used that to get a total shelf length, measured my dvd shelf, counted the dvd's and got a dvd per foot number, mutiplied total shelf length by dvd per foot and added a bit for box sets.
I should have read the bit about only single discs per box!
Thanks to the mystery donor of my £10 voucher, I'll have to order something light so I don't get hammered for postage!

Man of Honour
I measured the tv's diagonal to get a scale for 46", used that to get a total shelf length, measured my dvd shelf, counted the dvd's and got a dvd per foot number, mutiplied total shelf length by dvd per foot and added a bit for box sets.
I should have read the bit about only single discs per box!
Thanks to the mystery donor of my £10 voucher, I'll have to order something light so I don't get hammered for postage!
Link yours shop account and forum account for free postage, its under the my account section of the shop somewhere.

Edit, just noticed your in NZ, maybe another member that has a digital Dow load would swap or something?

Last edited:
Associate
diogenese, I'll swap you the £10 voucher for my Stalker: Call of Pripyat voucher if you want. I looked on steam and the cost of the game is now down to £10 so it seems like a fair deal if you're interested.

You can message my via my trust info :)

Thanks again for running the comp Mr Tbag.

Associate
LMAO hard, tiring day today, just got in, checked this thread and you have cheered me up straight away! Awesome. Thanks for organizing this competition!

I saved my calculations in notepad, it seemed I over compensated LOL:

dvd case: 15mm thick

10 shelves

TV: Samsung LE46F86BDX, width is 1094 mm

est 1094 * 3 = 3282mm -- the 3 means ~3 bars I measured in MS paint

3282 / 15 = 218.8

218* 10 = 2180

*then I thought about the angle of the photo LOL \fail*

est 1094 * 3 = 3282mm + ~17.25% more (gathered this by rough ruler on ms paint) = 188.715 = 3470.715mm, /15 = 231.381, * 10 = 2313

Last edited:
Associate

k3v

k3v

Associate
i forgot about this competition for a while, seeing as i was well out, it doesnt matter!

let me know what you want me to do with the prize i donated.

Soldato
OP
i forgot about this competition for a while, seeing as i was well out, it doesnt matter!

let me know what you want me to do with the prize i donated.

Hi k3v if you wouldn't mind sending The Tross a trust message as he won it that would save me a bit of work and thanks very much for the donation:)

I'm yet to recieve an email Tony from either you or BaBa.

Evening sah, the idea was for the winners to send a trust message with postal details etc but as Mr BaBa did email me today for your postal details would you mind sending him your info via a trust message and he will get your card out clicketty quick :)

Item received. :D Thanks once again to all involved. :)

Thats good to know .... remember no rage .... upon elevated bloodpressure step away from the case :D

Had a bejiggering day and just got in sorry but i will be leaving the news till the morning .... must ssllllleeeeeep :)

Man of Honour
Evening sah, the idea was for the winners to send a trust message with postal details etc but as Mr BaBa did email me today for your postal details would you mind sending him your info via a trust message and he will get your card out clicketty quick :)

Sorry mate, must have missed the bit that said we we're to email the donor of our prize. BaBa emailed me an hour or so ago so we sorted it all.

Soldato
OP
Thats great glad your sorted ....

Am hitting the sack a bit early tonight but could not go without giving this a mention

:eek::eek:Mr BaBa being the gent he is does not want to pass Mr Biffa while he is doing a good deed (1 weeks supercrunching) so he has offered the 3rd prize winner, none other than Mr eggcup the same 1 weeks supercrunching on the project of his choice.

Theres been some very generous donations but that has made the competition for me, what better example can there be of team spirit ??? :D:D

Back
Top Bottom