*** Dell UltraSharp U2410 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor @ £447.99 inc VAT ***

Soldato
Hi,
I'm about to purchase this monitor.

Do I need to be aware of any issues and is this still currently a good buy?

Excellent buy. No issues whatsoever with mine

Hi bought one when they first arrived on the market, and it has been fine for me with no issues experience as of yet...

I also have a friend who bought one about 2 months ago, he is also very happy and not had any issues (his is in fact a lot better, they have since revised the offensive "BEEP!!!!!" noise the buttons make when pressed to something a little softer :)

Turn the button noises off :rolleyes:

Associate
Anybody have a problem with dust stuck in the screen. I had two replacement and this one seems ok but seems to have dust stuck inbetween the screen. The original one I had was fine but then a bug got stuck in there.

Are these screen particularly prone to the dust/bug problem or am I just having a run of bad luck?

Associate
Can any owners confirm that this monitor can do PIP/PBP

example:
PC using DVI
PS3 using HDMI

because my friend has a 2408WFP and mentioned that it could not do HDMI and PC at the same time (or something like that).

Many thanks, really like this monitor and should be suitable upgrade for my needs.

Associate
I've had the monitor for a couple of weeks now and love it.

I don't think you can have PC connected with DVI and have PIP with HDMI.
You can achieve it if you have PC hooked up usng displayport though.

Associate
To be honest, the PIP mode is a bit of a faf to set up and switch off if you want to do it in a hurry and limited in use because of the fixed pre-set positions of the secondary window - I'm frequently finding it is in the way and unfortunately you can't just drag the window to another position. Just my opinion!

Associate
Looks like my U2410 is developing a fault which a quick Google shows not to be uncommon :(

In the top right hand corner there is what looks like a shadow, mostly visible on blue and grey screens. It's not usually present if the monitor has been turned off a while and I have tried running the LCD conditioner overnight but it didn't help.

I have tried to capture the problem with my iPhone camera...

I have had the monitor almost two years so should still be covered (Also have the mystical "Works" number), does anyone know the best number to contact Dell on please?

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for the number Nick, I was going to check saynoto0870.com for one but you saved me the trouble.

It would be interesting to see your "smudge" when it warms up, I am 100% positive it wasn't there when I bought the monitor (I am somewhat OCD :cool:).

I'll contact Dell on Monday and let you know what happens...

Soldato
mine went like that on the right hand side, they sent me a refurb the next day, mine was a rev a00, one they sent was a a05.

normally the refurbs had been shocking, but this one was ok

Associate
Can you keep both until the new one is checked? I have zero dead or stuck pixels on this and I think that would bother me more!

Balb0wa, did you buy yours from OC?

Soldato
Can you keep both until the new one is checked? I have zero dead or stuck pixels on this and I think that would bother me more!

Balb0wa, did you buy yours from OC?

They send the replacement , then a few days later collect the old one, no, got it from dell.

You could have course, say your not happy with the refurb replacement when they call to see if all is ok, and keep pushing for a brand new screen :D

Associate
Thanks, as I said I do have the works number and obviously the serial number and purchase email so hopefully I will get the same service as you.

Soldato
Thanks for the number Nick, I was going to check saynoto0870.com for one but you saved me the trouble.

It would be interesting to see your "smudge" when it warms up, I am 100% positive it wasn't there when I bought the monitor (I am somewhat OCD :cool:).

I'll contact Dell on Monday and let you know what happens...

Its visible now but still not as bad as it usually is, I'll let it heat up some more. I tried taking a pic but I got a lot of screen flicker and it didn't really show the problem.

Last time I had a replacement monitor from Dell the guy dropped off a new one and picked up my old one at the same time.

Associate
WOW! That was hard work!!!

The people on the first option I tried on the Dell phone web (All had an american accent) wouldn't help me at all without a Service Tag or Order Number. I tried twice just to make sure the first wasn't being awkward.

I then tried the second option (Business users) and the people were much more helpful (All with indian accents this time). I ran into a stumbling block initially however as my Works Number didn't correspond to a Dell U2410!

I then had to get creative and phoned Taran Microsystems as others have earlier in this thread and they were EXTREMELY helpful and apologetic, especially as I didn't even buy the monitor directly from them!

So, then armed with the correct Works number I phoned Dell Business again and finally made some progress. He was insistent I carried out the monitor self test with no leads connected and would have walked me through it on the phone had I not been at work.

I have just done the test and the "smudge" is visible on the first grey screen of the self test so will be phoning back tomorrow with my case number now to hopefully arrange a replacement!

Associate
Ok, a replacement is on it's way to me. I am told the old one will be collected the day after which gives me time to check the new one and make sure it's not a frying pan and fire situation!
The lady I spoke with at Dell today was really helpful and did exactly what she said she would do which is more than I can say for some companies these days!

Last edited:
Associate
The replacement has just arrived at work.

It has a manufacturing date of June 2011 and is REV A07!

Had some time to test the new one this evening and I am pleased to report it seems perfect (To my colourblind eyes anyway :cool:).

There are no dead or stuck pixels and the controls are far more responsive than my original monitors ever were. I could be wrong here but using the settings I had on the old one whites are much brighter.

As others have said, Dell shipped out the replacement via UPS on a next day service and are collecting the old one tomorrow (It was VERY well packaged too!).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom