MOTO GP 2011

Soldato
OP
Impressive season from him the way he rides a motorbike is insane.
They kept showing slow mo's of him going up that right hander that is kinda blind and he has the back stepping out the whole way, complete monster.

What are peoples opinions on the following though I can't make my mind up.
Casey Stoner seemed to do a lot better on that Ducati than Rossi is managing, what is the difference here? Was Stoner just pushing it a lot harder than what Rossi is willing to do or is Stoner just a better rider? To do what he managed on that bike was quite impressive.
This season how much of it has come down to his ability and how much is down to that bike? The bike just seems unstoppable no one could really compete with it but the way he was busting laps out and setting fastests laps and getting huge leads just wondering what was the biggest factor, just a bike so far ahead of everyone else?

Soldato
In my opinion Stoner is the fastest man in motoGP at the moment. He can (and does) ride the wheels off any bike. Sure, the Honda is good, but Lorenzo still beat Dovi and Pedroso consistently.

That said, I think Rossi and Lorenzo are possibly better racers when it comes to making passes and getting through the field

Soldato
And why Lorenzo didn't make the race...

lorenzofinger-zoom.jpg

Soldato
And why Lorenzo didn't make the race...

gah, to the sight of that. I hope they fix it up properly, so it doesn't affect future performances.

Well done Stacey. I hope Ducati and Yamaha make things more competitive next yr on thr 1000's, so that MotoGP doesn't become a yawn fest that its been in 2011.

I do miss Rossi battling at the front. I wonder where he'll go in 2013? Unlikely he'll re-sign with Ducati, given their beeping performance. UNLESS they pull something out the bag for 2012....

Unlikely Honda, since they have Stacey and Honda and Rossi, left on bad terms.

Yep I think it won't be the last we see of Rossi on the M1, unless he choses to retire.

Last edited:
Soldato
Firstly congrats to Stoner, dominant performance this year and whilst it's a shame he won without Lorenzo battling him to the end it's not like that would've changed the outcome.

Impressive season from him the way he rides a motorbike is insane.
They kept showing slow mo's of him going up that right hander that is kinda blind and he has the back stepping out the whole way, complete monster.

What are peoples opinions on the following though I can't make my mind up.
Casey Stoner seemed to do a lot better on that Ducati than Rossi is managing, what is the difference here? Was Stoner just pushing it a lot harder than what Rossi is willing to do or is Stoner just a better rider? To do what he managed on that bike was quite impressive.
This season how much of it has come down to his ability and how much is down to that bike? The bike just seems unstoppable no one could really compete with it but the way he was busting laps out and setting fastests laps and getting huge leads just wondering what was the biggest factor, just a bike so far ahead of everyone else?

I think Stoner is incredibly talented, he's one of 3 (possibly 4) 'aliens' in Stoner, Rossi, Lorenzo (and possibly Simoncelli),

But his performance last year on the Ducati was frankly lackluster, and since 2007 the Ducati had been getting worse year on year.

So when you look at 2010 where he won 'just' 3 race and and crashed out of 5, all on a bike that he had 4 years to both develop and setup to his own style, I don't think Rossi's performances are all that bad...

It is odd however how the Ducati seems to be only quick in Stoner's hands, I don't believe it's pure talent by Stoner although obviously some of it is, but people like Melandri and Hayden shouldn't be outperformed by that amount on the same machine imo.

Soldato
Firstly congrats to Stoner, dominant performance this year and whilst it's a shame he won without Lorenzo battling him to the end it's not like that would've changed the outcome.

I think Stoner is incredibly talented, he's one of 3 (possibly 4) 'aliens' in Stoner, Rossi, Lorenzo (and possibly Simoncelli),

But his performance last year on the Ducati was frankly lackluster, and since 2007 the Ducati had been getting worse year on year.

So when you look at 2010 where he won 'just' 3 race and and crashed out of 5, all on a bike that he had 4 years to both develop and setup to his own style, I don't think Rossi's performances are all that bad...

It is odd however how the Ducati seems to be only quick in Stoner's hands, I don't believe it's pure talent by Stoner although obviously some of it is, but people like Melandri and Hayden shouldn't be outperformed by that amount on the same machine imo.

ducati have gone down the road of having the engine as the main part of the frame and over the years its been tried and no one got it to work, till they ditch that and go to a full frame its not going to get better.
they wouldn't listen to stoner or any of there other riders, thats one reason stoner left he knew the bike was going to be crap this year and ducati thought they knew better than stoner and haydon.
its taken this years results and Rossi to make ducati think differently

Soldato
Definitely, and that's shown by how many times Stoner lost the front,

In 2007 they clearly had the engine power which played a distinct part in the championship, but they clearly didn't develop that at the same rate as the opposition (the Yamaha seems a touch better now, the Honda in a different league this year), you can live with a poor chassis when you've got the straight line speed, not so much when you don't have that either :p

Soldato
Fausto gresini has changed his mind and will at least be going and showing off marco's bike in the garage. Not sure if his team is actually going to race though. I think Marco would want them to.

Yes, I think they will also. When Daijiro passed in 2003, they (as in Gresini) continued on. If I recal they did the same thing and left the 74 bike in the paddock for respect, and did not have a fill in rider. Its tragic that tradegy has struck twice with that team. :(

Soldato
You know what's sad... Looking back at the last couple of pages of this thread, all of us laughing and saying how much we enjoyed Sic at this and that race. All good comments about him.

Got me all upset again. :(

Soldato
OP
That was insane Casey as so far ahead and in the space of about 2 laps the gap was <2 seconds! He must be feeling so gutted to lose by 0.015 after being a little way in front for that lap!

I said before the race I hope Rossi stays on, with the weather being a bit iffy it could make an interesting race especially as RdP qual'd third didn't he? Both bloody knocked off in the first few 100m's aaargh!
Rossi must be so glad this season is finished.

Soldato
A boring race bar the first corner and last corner but an awesome sight for everyone with reference to Marco Simoncelli in all classes.

RIP#58 Super Sic

A really nice, fitting tribute for Pirro to win for Team Gresini and the way it was handled! Respect! :)

Back
Top Bottom