Pics of stuff we bought in November!

Caporegime
I bought the E7 last week and have been walking around with it now for a couple of days. It's transformed my outdoors music experience, honestly. I use them with Grado SR80's.
I've been meaning to put a picture up but I haven't got round to it.

do you use the E7 as a portable DAC?

or as a DAC at all?

otherwise the E11 would have been a better/cheaper option

Soldato
Right. I mean... I understand why you posted that but if you'd have thought a bit ahead you'd have realised that posting that would be nothing but a disappointment and a downer to me :p

I guess I'll read a few more reviews and comparisons and see if I can send it back.

Edit: "The sound quality was quite good, though being mostly similar to the Fiio E7′s amplifier section (the E7 has an onboard DAC in addition to the amp). The E7 was a little more open sounding with a bigger soundstage and livelier treble, where the E11 is darker and fuller on the mids and lows and being smoother sounding overall. The most significant improvement come with the overall power output of the E11, where it clearly beat the E7′s fairly limited voltage swing."

Ah, well an increase in volume was the whole reason for buying a Fiio, but to be honest I haven't had a problem yet with the output of the E7, some of the stuff from the 60's that's generally mastered lower then modern stuff is boarderline but it's still a massive improvement from the ipod alone so to be honest I'm happy with it regardless.

Edit2: Arg, now I'm thinking why not buy the E11 as well and see which is better myself. Sometimes I hate this obsession with sound.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Right. I mean... I understand why you posted that but if you'd have thought a bit ahead you'd have realised that posting that would be nothing but a disappointment and a downer to me :p

I guess I'll read a few more reviews and comparisons and see if I can send it back.

i dont want other people to make the same mistake, that's why i asked if you used it as a DAC, if you had said yes, then it would have been fine.

the E7 is the same as an E6 if your using it just as an AMP, the E6 costs like £15-£20 the E7 is like £50+.

The E11 is better than the E6/7 as an amp and it costs £40.

So many people buy these AMPS and DAC's on this forum yet have no clue how to actually use them.

Next question is, what is your source? and how is it wired up?

hux

hux

Soldato
Funnily enough i have bought myself an e7 as well, along with an lod and sansa fuze and a headphone stand.

Kind of wished i went for the e11, then again i can use the dac on the pc, i get horrible reverb on tron legacy plus it might work with my galaxy nexus as ics supports usb host mode.

Pics when it all gets here, my ultrasone pro 900 cans are breaking in lovely, my enigma remixes are simply stunning on these.

Grado's outdoors, is that such a wise move?

That'll upset a few folk.

Caporegime
I'm using it with an ipod classic and a L9 line out.

good man, thats what i like to hear, had you said headphone out, i would have had some really bad news for you again lol.

i would honestly try and see if you can send it back and have it replaced with an E6 or E11.

The E11 has so many options to suit your needs. Hi Gain, Lo Gain, Equalizer 0,1,2. as well as an onboard volume nob.

It also takes a standard nokia battery, you can buy bigger ones off ebay which means you get more than double the suggested hours per charge.

Caporegime
Funnily enough i have bought myself an e7 as well, along with an lod and sansa fuze and a headphone stand.

Kind of wished i went for the e11, then again i can use the dac on the pc, i get horrible reverb on tron legacy plus it might work with my galaxy nexus as ics supports usb host mode.

Pics when it all gets here, my ultrasone pro 900 cans are breaking in lovely, my enigma remixes are simply stunning on these.

Grado's outdoors, is that such a wise move?

That'll upset a few folk.

Looking at the chart the E7 is mid fi, its a lot of money to spend if you dont use it as a DAC as well.

If you want to use it as a DAC though, you need to buy an AMP, the E7 will only do 1 at a time, not both.

So you need to buy an E9 and use the E7 and E9 together for a home setup, this is going to cost you £120 altogether, which is a lot of money for a mid fi setup.

Personally i would have paid the extra and gone E17 + E9.

This is only if your using it as a DAC, if not your better off with an E6 (15-£20) or an E11 (£40).

if you want to use your phone as a portable system with the E7 then you will need to buy an E6/E11 as well.

hux

hux

Soldato
Ah didn't realize it couldn't do both at the same time.

Didn't put that in the fine print now did they?

Well i'll snag an e11 when i feel the need, it'll be nice to test the dac side of things with the nexus, plus my cans are 40ohm so not that hard to drive.

I mainly bought it as a portable on the go setup, that's when i'll be using my custom iem's.

So im assuming that only the expensive amp/dacs can do both, say like a headamp pico?

Edit ooh i like the look of the e17, better amp section better sound and more connections.

Looking at the chart the E7 is mid fi, its a lot of money to spend if you dont use it as a DAC as well.

If you want to use it as a DAC though, you need to buy an AMP, the E7 will only do 1 at a time, not both.

So you need to buy an E9 and use the E7 and E9 together for a home setup, this is going to cost you £120 altogether, which is a lot of money for a mid fi setup.

Personally i would have paid the extra and gone E17 + E9.

This is only if your using it as a DAC, if not your better off with an E6 (15-£20) or an E11 (£40).

if you want to use your phone as a portable system with the E7 then you will need to buy an E6/E11 as well.

Last edited:
Soldato

I'm using it to get higher quality, higher volume sound to my SR80's, so I guess I am. I think I'll use the E7 for the rest of the weekend and spend some time reading reviews and then make a decision.

Edit: ok I have obviously misunderstood what's meant by DAC, explain.

Associate
img000003g.jpg

One plane earphone connector so I can use my headphones to watch movies on the way to NZ :D
Sorry bout bad photo. Taken with laptop camera.

Caporegime
I'm using it to get higher quality, higher volume sound to my SR80's, so I guess I am. I think I'll use the E7 for the rest of the weekend and spend some time reading reviews and then make a decision.

Edit: ok I have obviously misunderstood what's meant by DAC, explain.

you use a DAC with a PC (USB) or Digital out, or with a phone which has USB digital out (nokia n8). to get a line out signal.

a DAC usually gives you one of the best line out signals you can get, this of course all depends on the quality of the DAC.

the best one Fiio make is the E17. their mid range one is the E7.

setups go like this

PC - DAC - AMP - HEADPHONES

PHONE - DAC - AMP - HEADPHONES

IPOD - LINE OUT - AMP - HEADPHONES

the E7 is a portable amp/dac, but it can only do one at a time. if your never going to use it as a DAC then sell it and get a E6/E11.

The E17 still has not been released yet, it has been in the pipeline for about a year.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/537356/fiio-new-products-guide

basically the E7 is the best DAC fiio currently make soon to be surpassed by the E17.

you cannot use DAC with an IPOD as far as i am aware. anyway its a lot of bulk to be carrying also if you dont use it for DAC.

get an E6/E11 if you want an AMP.

get an E7 if you want an AMP/DAC (will need another amp when using as DAC)

now the amps you couple with the DAC can be portable or not depending on where your going to be using them.

in the home the best combo is E7 and an E9, on the go the best combo is an E7 and an E11.

anyway mate, it sounds as if you bought the wrong thing, you need an E6 or an E11.

Associate
Does it adjust the impedance, im sure a read somewhere that aircraft outputs are different to regular cans.

Aircraft have 2 pin outputs which is annoying. This converter will let me plug me regular headphones into them and get stereo sound. Plus me headphones block out more sound so I don't have to put up with the aircraft noise

Caporegime
February 2012, i was nosing through the thread a few minutes ago.

Looks purdy.

3 months may be too long to wait for some and they will be expensive too on launch, then within 6 months will probably drop to half the price of launch.

Fiio are notorious for huge drops in price with the longer the product has been out and the more popular it is.

Back
Top Bottom