Getting a C1 error on my 780i mobo after installing new GPU :(

Associate
So yesterday I installed a new GPU and a new heatsink on my Q6600. Everything seemed to be fine. No problems for several hours so I went to bed. Well, this morning I try to boot up my computer and all I get is a blank screen and either a C1 or 1D code on my mobo (an EVGA 780i).

Is there anything I can do about this? I really hope I haven't fried the board with a static discharge or something like that. I was really careful about staying grounded while I was messing with things. I kept the computer plugged into the mains but with all the power switched off.

I've checked the manual and the C1 code apparently means "memory base detect" and the 1D code means "early PM initialization".

Soldato
:(

Tried reseating the gpu? (Only suggesting that since you put a new one in) and if that doesn't work tried reseating your new cooler?

Am looking on the web about D1 errors, but I just came accross someone who used WD40 on thier equipment afterwards to clean everything, still laughing and cant take the search seriously now :D

Give me a minute :p

(tried resetting the CMOS yet btw?)

(and can you get into the BIOS or not?)

Edit: If you can get into the BIOS, try keying your ram settings in manually per manufactuer reccomendations.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
WD40! Some people...

I was about to try resetting CMOS. I have a only a vague idea of what I need to do though. I think I've found the switch. It's the blue thing with three pins at the bottom of the board. Do I just lift it off the two pins to the right and put it on the two pins to the left, and then take out and put the battery back in?

I can't get into the BIOS now, but I think if I do that I will be able to get back in and change the settings on my ram. I recall messing with the ram back when I first built this rig. Maybe those settings aren't good with my 560Ti even though they worked fine with my 9800GTX?

But will I need to switch the CMOS back to the pins on the right at any point after I get it to boot again?

Soldato
Yes that is all you have to do, if you are sure that they are the CMOS jumpers.

But you only leave it on there for 30 seconds then pop it back over to it's original position.

You only need to do one of those 2 things, reset using the jumpers *or* take out the battery. If totally unsure about the jumpers just take the battery out for 30 secs, then put it back in.

Do that then try to boot into BIOS with a minimum ammount of hardware attached, ie, the one stick of ram in the far position and all drives etc unplugged from the board.

Man of Honour
Check the backplate on the CPU cooler if you've fitted one - the nVidia 7x0 boards have a bad habit of having components on the underside of the PCB beneath the CPU socket that can be short circuited (usually doesn't cause lasting damage) or crushed :( by the backplates on some tower coolers.

I had to use the bolts on my Coolermaster V8 as there was a couple of SMDs on the reverse that after a couple of hours pushed through the insulation on the backplate causing a short circuit and a similiar error on startup - fortunatly doesn't seem to have caused any real damage.

Soldato
Good find! Sounds very much like what we are doing already, except leaving it for 15 mins while you go and have a calming cup of tea :D

Hope it works!

In the BIOS there should be a 'load default settings' or 'load failsafe settings', should be.

I'm no wizard, I just tinker slowly away with google at my finger tips, untill things work :) 99.9% of the time they do tho. It's pretty rare that something beats me when I put my mind to it!

If it doesn't work, do try it with your old gpu too.

Associate
OP
I think I might have had some success!

Okay, I did all that and now I get an 'FF' message, which according to the manual means 'boot'! However the first time it returned that message I couldn't figure out why nothing was showing on screen and then I realised there was no GPU in the system so there was nothing connecting my PC to my monitor :S

So I just did it again with my 560Ti plugged in. I get an FF, so I think it's booting but again nothing is showing on-screen. There are 2 orange lights on the 560Ti so I don't know what's going on.

Any ideas?

Edit: figured out the reason for the orange lights on the 560Ti... no power connectors plugged into it!

Anyway, that's plugged in and the lights are green, but I'm still not getting anything on-screen.

Last edited:
Soldato
Wooo!

Getting somewhere :D

If you still have your old gpu, try it, get into bios, set to default then try with the new gpu.

EDIT: what am I talking about, lol, reseting CMOS does just that :S, lol, try with your old gpx card anyway just to see :)

Soldato
ewww :(

Grasping at straws now, checked the ends of your video cable? Not borked a pin?

FF and green lights on the Ti sound great tho, what happens if you ctrl-alt-del? do things look like they are restarting? I dont mean on the monitor ofc :p

Associate
OP
I read here:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=205384

That it might be a problem with multiple drivers. I did install several new drivers recently. I already had some from last month installed, then when I first installed my 560 I installed the latest ones, then when I put in the CD that came with my 560 that installed even more drivers, i.e. the ones that were the latest ones when the 560 shipped back in January or whenever, then when I installed BF3 it made me install the latest Nvidia drivers yet again. Come to think of it the system hasn't booted since I switched it off after having installed that last set of drivers.

I wonder if all that could have something to do with it? I would have thought that everytime there's a driver install it automatically deletes the old ones so it wouldn't be a problem, though...

Soldato
Could do, that would explain why everything worked untill you turned it off then tried to restart it in the morning... but you shouldn't have any drives plugged in while trying all this :) any drivers and such would only be on the hard drive, I doubt you have
flashed ur BIOS or anything.

Have you definitely tried booting up with bare minimum hardware attached? 1 stick of ram, gpu, powersupply, cooler fan, keyboard. Thats it.

Associate
OP
Could do, that would explain why everything worked untill you turned it off then tried to restart it in the morning... but you shouldn't have any drives plugged in while trying all this :) any drivers and such would only be on the hard drive, I doubt you have
flashed ur BIOS or anything.

Have you definitely tried booting up with bare minimum hardware attached? 1 stick of ram, gpu, powersupply, cooler fan, keyboard. Thats it.

Yeah, I've got one stick of ram in the far slot and I took out my sound card, so all I've got left is the CPU, cooler, one stick of ram, a GPU, mouse, keyboard and PSU.

Soldato
If we cross our fingers, turn around 3 times while saying the magic words, Stulid might join the conversation and sort everything out here, because I'm getting stumped :S

Tried different ram sticks in that slot? Then tried different slots?

Does the motherboard have intergrated graphics? After cmos reset it might be running through that if the motherboard has a video out?

Back
Top Bottom