Assassin's Creed: Revelations

Soldato
Finished this last night and I've had it since launch, so it's kept me busy. It probably is a shorter game if you just played through the missions without doing any of the other additional missions that add to the game. I don't think I can give my true impressions on the game without spoilers though:

*SPOILERS BELOW*

I enjoyed the game, but at the sametime I can't help feeling a slight bit of disappointment with it for some reason.

I'd totally echo the comments about Constantinople not being as good as the Italian cities. It's also smaller than Rome was and has none of the diversity of open areas and Horse riding. To be fair I don't think we've had it as good as AC2 with numerous amazing locations to visit. For some reason I was under the assumption that given what we've learned in previous games about the Pieces of Eden, I thought this game was going to be about Ezio travelling all over the world to find them, rather than just finding Keys in one city.

The Altair parts all took place in Masayaf, I actually thought he would be doing a bit more than just that.

Then to actually get to the story....
For me I felt it wasn't as developed, the plot with Suliman and the Sultans was nowhere near as good as the Borgais story arc. Infact you don't really even have that many interactions with them, just a few missions. I suppose though in many ways, Ezio's story was that of his jump from a teenager, who was a bit of a douchebag, to becoming a man who had to discover who he really was and seek revenge for his family.

Instead he's old, looking for some keys for Altair's library. After going to all that trouble of getting in there, he doesn't take the Apple and instead decides he needs to say something to Desmond. We don't even see Ezio again after that, and given that the Developers had stated this was the end of Ezio as a character, to me if felt odd that we didn't see him leave or hide the keys again or something. Though I suppose there will likely be some DLC, so maybe that's why.

I think the real question now is where does the series go next?
Desmond seems to a fully trained Assassin who knows what to do now, so do they really need to use the Animus anymore? As ultimately its all been building up to Desmond and how he can help 'save the world'.

Obviously now we know more about the 'Gods', they could presumably go back to an Ancestor in that ancient, albeit futuristic Eden Earth. But then I don't think that fits into the rhetoric of Assassin's Creed, as the games have always been about re-imaginings of historic locations while also teaching the player a bit of history along the way.

I think my worry is just that this has now stretched across four games, countless spin-offs and other items to develop the backstory, I just hope that the final outcome doesn't end up being a total let down. Especially given that Ubisoft clearly want to keep the series running for as long as possible.

Other items I was a bit underwhelmed with were:

The Desmond Memory sequences in the Animus Land.
Sure he's trapped in his mind in the Animus, but it was a bit boring compared to the last game where you had so much time playing him and interacting with the team.
The 'Portal' style sequences didn't really do anything for the game. Why couldn't they make his backstory playable in Flashback sequences?
Perhaps they ran out of time on that one?

I don't think the soundtrack is as good as past games.
Obviously given it's a new story arc, they've dropped the previous theme they used for Ezio.
The new one is good, but most of the other songs in the game are quite forgettable.

Bomb Crafting wasn't really that fun, seemed almost like it was a bit shoe horned into the game.

The Tower Defence game was also pretty pants.

Finally, I still think the game is a little too easy.
Especially as it progresses, you've got so many bombs and weapons and the ability to call Assassins that there isn't much of a challenge. Infact the only really challenge I found comes from trying to get 100% sync.

So as I said, it's not a bad game.
I enjoyed playing it, it's just very similar to last year's release, but in some ways, not quite as good, more due to the story and location.

*END SPOILERS*

Soldato
I couldn't be bothered playing this when it came on rental. So I sent it back. But can someone tell me...

What did happen to Lucy?

It's actually something that's not really answered properly. In the Desmond sequences you occasionally hear the team in the background and they mention being a bit upset about it and that a funeral will be held.

However, at the end of the game they all seem pretty happy with Desmond and not at all bothered that he killed her.

So it's one of those questions of whether... is she really totally dead?

For a game called 'Revelations' the actual revelations were pretty thin on the ground.

Soldato
I'm struggling to get through AC this year, don't think ive played it in the last week or so.

The story & game play from AC2 and ACB is still really good but additions like the tower defence parts and how poorly explained the levelling up of your assassins has really frustrated me.

It also seems to have more than its fair share of bugs, something i dont remember noticing in any of the previous AC games.

Soldato
I only really remember seeing one bug.

It was on an Assassin Recruit side mission where you have to defend a Herald from Templars who keep trying to kill him. For some reason, the Templars never stopped coming. It got to the point where I had about 80 dead bodies at my feet and the game was starting to slow down a little, so in the end I let them kill him!

Associate
I'm loving it so far, about 40% complete and only on DNA sequence 4!

Hit a couple of glitches though, biggest inconvenienve is that i cannot "use" factions, in the previous games just LT a guard and then hit B to distract/rob/beat up. This game just won't let me do it, i've managed it twice in about 18 hours of play. It also means i can't 100% sync on of the objectives as it requires using the Thieves to distract a target.

not played the MP on any of the AC games yet, might give it a go once the compaign is ace'd.

edit: sorted double tap and hold LT to lock on and select for abuse

Last edited:
Soldato
completed this last night, seemed far shorter than the other games even though by the time i'd finished i only had one assassin left that had not reached master assassin, and had sank more time on the side missions than on SP ones.

so where were the revelations? thought Ezio's death in "AC Embers" was handled really well, not sure why this couldn't have been added into the game, as for those who didn't buy the limited edition don't really get the full story

Last edited:
Associate
Finished it last night but wasn't entirely impressed with the game or the ending. I really enjoyed 1, 2 & Brotherhood but I think I may be burning out on these games as they're coming around so quickly. There was nothing majorly wrong with this other than an underdeveloped storyline and the rubbish ending but I really had to force myself just to finish it in the end.

Soldato
Finished it last night but wasn't entirely impressed with the game or the ending. I really enjoyed 1, 2 & Brotherhood but I think I may be burning out on these games as they're coming around so quickly. There was nothing majorly wrong with this other than an underdeveloped storyline and the rubbish ending but I really had to force myself just to finish it in the end.

seems even with half a dozen dev teams working on it, it still managed to have far less content than the previous games. i thought i was about half way through when in fact i was half an hour from the end. nothing happened worth noting in the middle third.

I agree on feeling a bit burned out on it now, its really not the sort of game you want rushed out every year. one of the reasons AC2 was so popular was because they had the time to add so much content and polish to the game after AC1.

Ubisoft seem hell bent on killing off this franchise before we even see the next gen of consoles by milking it to death.

Soldato
Yeah, again it's all the side missions that take up the time. If I'd just done the main missions, I'd have been through it very quickly.

Soldato
Embers spoiler

found this on another site, in the final scene where Ezio dies from what initially appears to be old age or ill health, the young man (image) who sits next to him, chats and at one point grabs his arm may well have been a templar.

Picture2-10.png

Soldato
i wish they would stop this nonesense and focus on improving the single player

AC1 never finished as i got bored, at least it was beautiful and new at the time

AC2 was by far the best

AC3 was good, but why introduce lame multi?

AC4 was weak, all in all this game lacked content and the levels were poor - I was hoping that Haga Sofia would have been an epic level and it wasn't
-> den defense, multi, bomb crafting (using bombs is ok, but crafting and collecting ingredients wasn't), managing med cities are all complete rubbish features (to be scrapped)
-> sequence 8 and 9 were non existant, an insult or a joke as far as i am concerned
-> to top it all i don't appreciate recylcling AC1 for a few levels

if AC5 isn't a serious improvement along the lines of AC2 then I am done with this series. rather they focus on cool levels you need to work on infiltration, puzzle solving etc...

Back
Top Bottom