your commute

Soldato
I live on the coast and work on the edge of the M25 so my commute is anywhere between 1:40-2hrs on the way and the same on the way home. And all for the bargain sum of £230 a month.

Been doing it for just under a year now and I've sort of got used to it. The worst part is that I maybe get to see my daughter for 30min on a weekday if I'm lucky :( I used to only have a 2mile journey which was great, lots of quality time when she was a baby and sleep until 7:30. However, redundancy put a stop to that and a £10k payrise tempted me to my current job.

Soldato
Long daily commutes are just daft in my book. About 5 years ago I spent a year doing ~50 minute each way commutes and hated it, such a waste of time, and fairly expensive considering fuel and miles of the car.

Spending 3hr 45min on the road each day as the OP does is just crazy. What's that, 150 miles+, 750+ a week at a cost of ~£100 a week in fuel alone, before you consider the ware and tear on the car. I'd never consider a job that involved that, or if I did take the job, I'd move house. My time is far too valuable to me to waste it sitting on the road like that. Your commute is costing you something like £500 a month and 75 hours of your time, crazy.

Today, my commute is a 15 minute bike ride each way.

Man of Honour
Mine is pretty long... in the new year it will be longer. As it stands im 1 hour from thorpe bay to fenchurch street, In the new years its thorpe bay to holborn which means a longer commute at about 1hour 20 mins. I do it all on the train but couldn't earn close locally.

Soldato
I have a 25 minute commute through the countryside which is absolutely great!

I wouldn't ever continually commute more than 40 minutes to work, I would move closer to work in that case.

Spending too much time travelling each day is not good for a nice standard of living - I personally wouldn't do a commute of more than 1 hr.

Soldato
A few weeks ago I started timing my commute.

After two weeks I was able to work out the my average commute to work lasted around 1 hour and 45mins. The commute home is around 2 hours.

I have to admit before accepting my new job I couldn't see myself being bothered with such a lengthy commute. However, as the months roll on I do find myself becoming more annoyed with this commute.

I don't know..... Perhaps I should just be happy I have a job and stop the moaning.

How does your commute to and from work take (on average)?

What time are in work for? and what time do you have to wake up to make it?

Soldato
00:04:20 on a bike into uni- p.b. that one. Might try and break it today if I'm bored. But it relies a bit on traffic lights as to how long it takes.

I used to do an hour to school and back daily though, so 2 hours total commute. I think I'd happily manage that now a swell. Not sure I could do more than that. Ideally when I leave uni, I want a distance that's bikeable in under 20 minutes.

kd

Soldato
OP
Long daily commutes are just daft in my book. About 5 years ago I spent a year doing ~50 minute each way commutes and hated it, such a waste of time, and fairly expensive considering fuel and miles of the car.

Spending 3hr 45min on the road each day as the OP does is just crazy. What's that, 150 miles+, 750+ a week at a cost of ~£100 a week in fuel alone, before you consider the ware and tear on the car. I'd never consider a job that involved that, or if I did take the job, I'd move house. My time is far too valuable to me to waste it sitting on the road like that. Your commute is costing you something like £500 a month and 75 hours of your time, crazy.

Today, my commute is a 15 minute bike ride each way.

I don't drive in. As I've said that would be even worse.

I currently spend £5 each day on travel... Slightly less on gym days as I don't finish until 7pm (train fairs are cheaper after 7).

Back
Top Bottom