your commute

Permabanned
Yep, used to take me an hour on a bad day (whilst working for the previous employer). One bus and I was there.

Now this is my route

10/15min walk to turnpike lane (picadilly line) > change at finsbury park (Victoria line) > change at highbury and islington (London overground line) > change at west hamsted (jubilee line > change at Finchley road (metropolitan line) > commute comes to an end in uxbridge

So yeah....... Rather long

We should swap jobs, that would be a rather nice commute for me.

Associate
Just over an hour for me I think. Normally go to the gym half way through the commute to break it up on the way to work.

Chiswick - Canary Wharf but stop off at Temple for gym most morning.

Soldato
If the tube goes well - which it normally does - it's about 15 mins door to door, not too shabby as I work in Zone 1. My commute when I lived and worked in Fulham was achievable whilst holding my breath! I miss being able to go home to use the bog :(

Soldato
Manor Park to Chancery Lane

30 minutes cycling if the lights are green but typically it takes me around 35.
If I use public transport then this increases to around 45 minutes.

Associate
Cycle around 4 miles each way from Kingston to East Molesey, absolutely brutal at present in this weather, but the advantage is I can leave at 8.40 at be at my desk for 9.

In the summer I ride back along the Thames towpath by Hampton Court Palace, not bad at all. It's bordered by Home Park on one side so basically feels like riding down a country lane on a summer afternoon.

I take it a little slower on the ride back but usually home by 5.25pm regardless.

The 2 hr+ commuters certainly have my respect, and my sympathy.

Soldato
College is 11 miles away and takes 30 mins on average, give or take 10 mins depending on traffic. No way I could do a 2 hour commute, well not for anything less than a ridiculous salary anyway.

Work is about 2 seconds (I work from home :p).

Soldato
The route the bus takes from Brighton to Peacehaven is along the coastal road, which means I currently get to watch the sun rise above the edge of the sea as I sit back and listen to music, floating along the cliff tops :)
Definitely the best commute I've ever had to do.

Associate
20mins for a 13 mile trip which is about 99% motorway. No way could I spend the same time as the OP commuting. Even if the salary was superb I just think I'd be so hacked off on losing out on family time/relaxation that I be constantly grouchy.

Soldato
I do the same as the OP, well on average, sometimes it's less and sometimes it's more. I share the drive with 2 - 3 other people though so only drive it myself 1 or 2 days a week.

50 miles from Plymouth through rural Cornwall on twisty single lane roads getting stuck behind tractors and the like.

It is awful. I am going to move sooner than later.

Soldato
OP
20mins for a 13 mile trip which is about 99% motorway. No way could I spend the same time as the OP commuting. Even if the salary was superb I just think I'd be so hacked off on losing out on family time/relaxation that I be constantly grouchy.

Can't say I'm overly annoyed...... Yet lol.

For the last 7 years I've been used to getting home with enough time to play a little ps3 and a little poker.... Perhaps cook a little meal too.

Now I struggle to have a little play around and have to push myself to cook a meal lol.

Man of Honour
25min walk for me.
Used to be 33min walk + 20min train +27min walk until I moved here.

Occasionally I work from another office which is 25min walk + 3h30 train +25min walk. Kinda annoying because it's a very indirect train route, would take only 2hrs by car so less than half the time in total.

Back
Top Bottom