VW recall - Injectors on PD140 and PD170s

Soldato
OP
I received my letter from VW today and can confirm that it's not an official recall..they're calling it a 'Customer Satisfaction Campaign'. It did arrive in an envelope with both VW and VOSA logos though, suggesting that VOSA definitely played a part in forcing this campaign.

Picked the car up from VW earlier and they've changed all 4 injectors and looms for free. They even left me a free box of Thorntons chocolates on the passenger seat. Can't really feel any difference in how it drives but I did manage 55mpg on the drive home when it's usually around 50. Nothing conclusive of course but will see if it continues over the next few days.

Associate
Seat altea recall

Hi, Seat dealer in Derby where I bought my 2006 Seat Altea FR 170 from 3 years ago have phoned me up and asked me to book my car in. They said they will replace all my injectors and wiring harness free of charge as there has been a recall issued by Seat. They said the job takes about 2 hours but they need to check the injectors first to see if they are the ones that are likely to fail. So its going in next Thursday!

Soldato
I phoned my local VW dealer today about my dads 140bhp Touran. It isnt listed under the recall and the service advisor said its mainly Golfs and Passats affected.

Associate
Why haven't i seen this thread any sooner!
Yes i can confirm this recall is true, have been personally carrying out the recall on affected cars at work. We will replace the injectors only if they have the correct part number that is listed, If i remember, If the part # ends in either a M or S its ok and probably has been replaced recently, so we wouldnt change it, but all the others need to be replaced including the wiring loom, Injector bolts, rocker shaft bolts, and the adjustment bolts that sit on top of the injector to adjust the injection timming ect.

I will get the exact details tommorow and post them up, just to stop all these rumours ive been reading. Its quite horrible to read!

Caporegime
Thats rubbish.

Injectors are rated by how much fuel they can flow. Plus injectors are all generally made by a few select companies, like Bosch for example and the cost is more like $100 each. The cost to make them is even less, I suspect cost too manufacturer is sub $10.

Still if VW are charging £500 each and getting away with well it explains why the VW group is one of the most profitable out there. :D

You can't compare fuel injectors from a petrol with high pressure diesel unit injectors

Associate
Hi,
I am not mechanical so please bare with me, I have a VW GT sport 170 and I received
a letter asking me to call and make an appoiontment to take my car back to have the injectors changed, I dont feel I have any problems with my car, what would this problem cuase so I know what I should be looking for i.e. fuel econemy, keep breaking down, performance, any thing else?

Cheers, Gavin.

Permabanned
Hi,
I am not mechanical so please bare with me, I have a VW GT sport 170 and I received
a letter asking me to call and make an appoiontment to take my car back to have the injectors changed, I dont feel I have any problems with my car, what would this problem cuase so I know what I should be looking for i.e. fuel econemy, keep breaking down, performance, any thing else?

Cheers, Gavin.

Not really any of the above, it doesnt affect performance or economy - when 1 or more injectors fail (usually at high speed oddly) the ECU shuts down the engine, totally. You lose power steering and all brake assistance as well without the engine running.

From there you need a tow to a garage as you cant start the car as the ECU doesnt allow it.

Permabanned
[TW]Fox;20831290 said:
ALL brake assistance?

Assistance yes.

All brakes, no. But if you've ever tried to stop a modern vehicle without it you have to stamp VERY hard on the pedal for anything to happen. Its far worse than driving a vehicle which never had a brake servo.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;20831323 said:
Are you sure about that? Most other cars retain some servo assistance for the first few brake applications after engine shutoff?

Is the Golf really this badly designed or are you just wrong? :p

Fox was waiting for that :p

Soldato
VOSA played a part in forcing their hand to make them do something about it, but its not a recall as these only really happen on things like fuel leaks, or brake faults.

Not got my letter yet, but when the fault causes the engine to be turned off, it should be a full recall, what will happen when a family is travelling down the outside lane of a motorway at xmas, their injector fails and they are involved in an accident?

They should have handled this like Toyota or Honda who said they had a problem with brake pedal I think it was and got it recalled, sneaking around with letters and ignoring the problem just seems wrong

Kimbie

Soldato
Had mine done earlier in the year when one failed. Seat did all four free of charge and I got about 20% extra fuel economy back as well.

Not sure about the loom though, will have to ask.

I don't suppose they're doing a DPF recall to have the cruddy heaps of junk removed from cars? :p

Mud

Mud

Soldato
For paranoia's sake I checked in with Skoda, as thought the recall is only on PD140 units with Siemens injectors, engines with Bosch injectors are fine.

Back
Top Bottom