Now HD warranty changes coming ???

Soldato
Has anyone noticed that WD yesterday announced a reduction in it's warranty period for Caviar & Scorpio drives from 3 to 2 years (from Jan 1st) - Scorpio Black remains 5 years.

Now funnily enough, today Seagate have just announced the following (effective from 31st of Dec to authorised distributors) - Some Barracuda and Momentus warrantys reduced to 1 Year ????

Drives affected by new warranty changes....

- Constellation 2 and ES.2 drives - 3 years
- Barracuda and Barracuda Green 3.5-inch drives - 1 year
- Barracuda XT - 3 years
- Momentus 2.5-inch (5400 and 7200rpm) - 1 year
- Momentus XT - 3 years
- SV35 Series - Video Surveillance -2 years
- Pipeline HD Mini, Pipeline HD - 2 years

Reducing a warranty to a year is pretty dire to be honest and considering the price increases recently & the fact that most people are trying to make every material possession last as long as possible these days. What the heck are they playing at ?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/12/16/seagate_cutting_warranties/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/12/15/wd_warranty_period_cuts/

Last edited:
Associate
This is surely a stupidly short-sighted move from the point of view of perceived brand quality. If I am going to spend (currently) upwards of £130 for a large storage drive I wouldn't feel too secure putting irreplaceable items (family photos, home movies, work documents) on a drive that the manufacturer will only stand over for one year.

Of course, as I'm sure they know, where else will we get our drives considering WD and Seagate are cornering the market? And isn't there an EU directive that allows electronic goods a warranty of at least 2 years, or is that only with the point of sale?

Soldato
We'll be switching brands at work due to this and finding a better manufacturer, my bloody decision. I remember using samsung a lot back in the day when all otheres were cutting their warranties, and they were very reliable. Usually only about 40-50 in a year, not even a drop in the ocean but i'm doing my part :p

Caporegime
We'll be switching brands at work due to this and finding a better manufacturer, my bloody decision. I remember using samsung a lot back in the day when all otheres were cutting their warranties, and they were very reliable. Usually only about 40-50 in a year, not even a drop in the ocean but i'm doing my part :p

Remember that Seagate are buying Samsung's HDD division and WD are buying Hitachi's HDD division.

Soldato
I think I'll wait it out until 2TB drives are back to £65 or less to make my next purchase as this reduced warrantee is actual reduced value for me. Infact I'd go as far to say that drives that were worth ~£65 before are now worth ~£50 taking into account the reduction in warrantee.

They can't have it both ways, higher ASP's and lower warrantees - it stinks a bit TBH.

Associate
It's not a very good news to hear from you guys as my Seagate 150gb hard disk got exchanged recently by them after 3 years of complete usage. Now if I purchase a new one they are not offering 4 years warranty. :(

Back
Top Bottom