Small side project.

Associate
OP
Very smat! No idea how that PSU works, but it's a nice build all the same. I'd change those thumbscrews on that nice new panel on the back for normal black case screws, but other than that it's fairly sweet!

Tis very very cute. :p

Yea i wouldn't mind a few black thumb screws. May order some now :)

the build turned out very well, it looks amazing, great work :)

Thanks.

Associate
IMG_3248copy.jpg

Cheers.

Wheres the vented bay gone?? in the end did you prefer the standard cover?

Associate
OP
Wheres the vented bay gone?? in the end did you prefer the standard cover?

In the end I added a 2TB Samsung F3 Eco in the top drive bay so you would see it through the vent. It also would allow any light inside and maybe alittle more noise than the plane face would. I actually prefer it blanked off as it just looks sleeker.

very tidy :cool:

How quiet does this run? Also whats the cooling like?

Its loudest part is the 1TB Sammy F3 but even thats pretty quiet. The second drive powers down when not in use (which is 90% of the time as its just storage) so the only other moving part is the CPU fan which you cannot hear in a totally silent room at night. I would say my mates LG plasma TV muted gives off more sound than this. Its very very quiet. The cooling seems to handle it all fine but tbh iv not really looked into it as iv not had any problems.

Where's the power Supply?

Its a inline power supply like a laptop uses.

Associate
OP
Love it, excellent build :) Maybe a 5400 HDD will be quieter?

Thanks im very happy with it. Although using a 5400 drive would make it quieter it would also make it slower which as I got annoyed with the heat/power/noise of my i7 rig I sold it and this is my only pc now. An SSD would be ideal but iv just sold 4 outa my other rig as I couldn't be bothered to reinstall windows.

thats an awesome little spec pc there mate.

Cheers mate its doing me well now I dont really game. I will probably pick up a cheap quadcore in the near future as without OCing the little E5200 can struggle at times.

Soldato
nice build you got there ive been planning on uploading some pics of my computer case/mod/disaster/build for quite some time now lol

Associate
Sorry to bump the thread but I can't work out this external power supply thing at all. Where does it plug into the motherboard and how does it power the hard drive and DVD drive?

Really nice build by the way, really nice.

Caporegime
Sorry to bump the thread but I can't work out this external power supply thing at all. Where does it plug into the motherboard and how does it power the hard drive and DVD drive?

Really nice build by the way, really nice.

Google "Pico PSU".

Essentially you end up with a device that plugs directly into the ATX connector on the mobo and offers a few ancillary connections (floppy, sata, molex, etc).

The Pico PSU then takes DC 12-18V input from a power brick like a laptop PSU.

2nuklyw.jpg

Associate
OP
Ok bit of an update.

I wanted to update the hardware of the system and while it was empty do alittle modding to the case.

The new specs are:

i3-2120 3.3Ghz running the Noctua heatsink still. (Not sure on fan yet)
Zotac Z68-ITX Supreme with onboard GT430
2x4GB Corsair Sodimm DDR3
aData S510 120GB SSD
Asus Xonar D2X
150w Pico PSU

The above should allow for light gaming while been near silent and pretty power efficient.

There were a few things iv always wanted to do to the case since i got it. One was to mod a window into it and 2 was to install some noise blocking foam inside to cut down noise even further.

Today i started the window mod. I think theres plenty of vents for air to enter the case so am going to replace the side panel vent for a clear window.

All marked up.

IMG_20111218_124648.jpg

I prefer round corners rather than a 90 degree cut so first it needed to be drilled.

IMG_20111218_125504.jpg

Then cut out. Looks like crap as i sold my demel but will get a little grinder to tidy it up before i file it perfectly to the markings.

IMG_20111218_131531.jpg

Thats as far as I got today before getting cold and returning to in front of the wood burner.

More Tomorrow.

Associate
OP
Window filed down to the markings.

IMG_20111219_163106.jpg

Tape removed looks pretty close but still needs a light sanding and the silver edge colored black so not to stand out.

IMG_20111219_163708.jpg

Should get the acrylic in the post tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom