***** The Official Galaxy Nexus Thread *****

Associate
Mine is under the Christmas tree but had just enough time before it was wrapped to fastboot oem unlock and flash the 4.0.2 factory image :)

Man of Honour
Let's have your 24 hour report?

Very well.

The design of it is fantastic, I think it looks excellent and while the screen is noticeably larger than a 4.3" screen, it isn't any more awkward to hold. The notification LED is excellent - on par with those found on BlackBerry devices, you can see it in most conditions.

The screen is exceptionally good too, it's noticeably more crisp than the one on the Galaxy S II even if the colours don't pop quite as much - I actually consider the colour difference to be an advantage because it maintains the excellent colours of AMOLED without making them look over the top and the blacks are the same.

One thing I have noticed about the screen is that at low brightness, it tends to look a bit grainy. This isn't helped by the auto-brightness keeping it too dark most of the time. To put a positive spin on this, you could say the grain makes white backgrounds look like paper - not dissimilar to the screen on the Kindle - it's certainly easy on the eyes.

ICS is really rather brilliant. The entire interface now looks slick and professional - I prefer the general look of it far more than iOS, HTC Sense and it wipes the floor with stock TouchWiz stuff that Samsung's other phones are plagued with. It seems generally very fast, I've had no noticeable slowdown anywhere.

I'm only on my first charge, but the battery seems fine. At least as good as the Galaxy S II, if not better. If it improves, it will certainly be noticeably better.

My two main concerns were the camera and loudspeaker volume, the camera seems absolutely fine, roughly on par with the iPhone 4 camera (still one of the best around) from what I can see. The speed at which it takes pictures is astonishing and makes quite the difference.

The speaker isn't quite as loud as I'd like it to be ideally, but the comparisons to the Desire HD weren't accurate; it's far louder than that. It's no problem at all. I'm aware you can use Volume+ and things to increase that, but I have no need.

Love it so far (if you couldn't tell :p).

Caporegime
A lot of people say the auto brightness is too low, i find it perfect.

I would prefer it non grainy, also kind of wish it was more vibrant lol

Extra note, how do you get the annoying voicemail icon to disapear?

Last edited:
Associate
I got one of these the other day. Stuck a Giffgaff sim in for instant win.
Fantastic piece of kit, especially the big high-res screen.

The volume bug is NOT fixed for me after the update though. But it only seems to be me and nobody else :(

Gonna flash it soon enough, the default ROM is extremely sluggish like they always are. But at least they openly allow it to be flashed.

The graphics are pretty poor considering the number of pixels, slowdowns in games etc. But phone games are meh anyway at the moment ;) It gives me a good benchmark for development though and I can borrow a SG2 from uni for development if I need something with more performance per-pixel.

It makes sense to opt for the large screen if you want to be able to browse full sized web pages and type faster.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm not sure if the low max volume is considered a bug. And so, as you say, it hasn't been fixed!

They are calling it a bug so people don't not buy the phone, pretending it can be fixed OTA. Any OTA fix has to simply circumvent the problem rather than remove it. So who knows what else is broken/"buggy" :S

Still, if they don't fix it soon I will just return it. But Phones 4 U are under the impression it is fixed because Samsung (or Google?) told them so, it could be difficult to return.

It is fixed for my flatmate though, just not me :S
Probably because the circumvention in the OTA update has to deal with some "analogue" problem (because it isn't a bug - it has to be a hardware flaw), so it will differ for every handset.

edit: "low max volume," huh? The max volume is plenty loud enough, the phone wants to lower it's volume to minimum though - moreso if I am running anything intensive. Supposed to be fixed but.... not for me :S

edit: yeah it's been "fixed" but it's still happening to my handset, I even held off buying it until the fix was out

edit (again lol): Just restarted my phone again and it seems to be fixed now :/ at least, I can't make it happen the way I usually did (quadrant standard, speedtest or tinyshark) but it could be that there are no 2G devices nearby at this particular time... hmm

Last edited:
Soldato
the default ROM is extremely sluggish like they always are. But at least they openly allow it to be flashed.
Sluggish? Must be your phone as all the GNs ive seen are like lightening.

the graphics are pretty poor considering the number of pixels, slowdowns in games etc.
The graphcs are poor because there arnt any android games with stunning graphics, it can only display whats available. And as with the sluggishness you mention, not seen any slowdown in the games ive played...?

Associate
Sluggish? Must be your phone as all the GNs ive seen are like lightening.

The graphcs are poor because there arnt any android games with stunning graphics, it can only display whats available. And as with the sluggishness you mention, not seen any slowdown in the games ive played...?

I don't really know what "like lighting" means because this is the first smartphone I've owned and it certainly doesn't respond to simple actions instantly (more like... about 100ms later :D). Perhaps smartphones were genuinely sluggish for a while and I didn't notice because I didn't own one? So my perception of sluggishness is different. And of course I am not blaming it for things like slow web pages etc that are network bottlenecked.

By graphics being poor I didn't mean in actual games of course (that would be an invalid comment as you rightly pointed out). I was highlighting my concern for the graphics chip compared to how many pixels the device has. No doubt in the future it will struggle with any marginally demanding games compared to a phone like the GS2 (which is vastly more graphically capable). Though I could have just said that in my first post >_<. And of course the GS2 could also be considered slow in 2 years because the tech is moving so fast.

Currently getting about 1800 on Quadrant which I thought was quite low (to last for 2 years) but maybe with a custom rom it will nearly double.
But clearly if I wanted the best possible gaming on a phone (why lol) I could have opted for a different handset so I can't exactly complain. The pixel count is great for everything else.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom