New 991 C2S is scarily fast in stock form - Video within

OcUK Staff
Hi there

Seems going fast now is getting easier and easier:-

0-60 in 3.9s
0-100 in 8s

The new 991 with PDK is no slouch, makes one wonder how fast the new 991 Turboshall be :eek:

Though some are now saying the 911 is loosing what made it special and a challenge to drive, discuss?

Associate
The new 911 is clearly very fast :)

However, these videos don't seem quite right. The 991 gets a far better launch (as it would being PDK) but the numbers don't seem to go up evenly between the two cars either...

I can't see how 1400kg and 400bhp can match (or even beat at some speeds) 1370kg and 500bhp even with PDK.

OcUK Staff
OP
The new 911 is clearly very fast :)

However, these videos don't seem quite right. The 991 gets a far better launch (as it would being PDK) but the numbers don't seem to go up evenly between the two cars either...

I can't see how 1400kg and 400bhp can match (or even beat at some speeds) 1370kg and 500bhp even with PDK.

Agreed, the GT3 is not trying to launch as it sets off at 2000rpm which is a little unfair.

The new 991 just seems more GTR alike, driving fast made easier and less challenging.

OcUK Staff
OP
That way of thinking just doesn't seem very Porsche like. :(

That seems to be the way some are thinking.

Electric steering, engine moved further forward, physically larger car, longer wheelbase etc. All numbed it down a bit if you ask me.

Yes granted the new car is better, faster and more capable, so most will see it as the better car it is. I am looking forward to seeing one in the flesh as I'm still not sold on the photos yet. However I think the new car certainly has performance that's far more easily accessible to all and has lost what some would call that true 911 edgy feel and the amazing driving experience 911s give. After all the outgoing 997 truly had the engine in the boot, whereas in the 991 the engine is further forward.

Soldato
I felt that about about the 997 C2S to be honest, at least with the driver aids turned on. Technically amazing and very very quick, but not so involving as a less capable car like my Boxster with nothing more than ABS.

That's progress for you though. My GSXR1000 is easy to ride fast. The handling is so planted you'd need to be a BSB rider to get near it's limits. I've had more fun on older bikes with less refinement, but they ain't going to make bikes like that anymore

OcUK Staff
OP
I felt that about about the 997 C2S to be honest, at least with the driver aids turned on. Technically amazing and very very quick, but not so involving as a less capable car like my Boxster with nothing more than ABS.

That's progress for you though. My GSXR1000 is easy to ride fast. The handling is so planted you'd need to be a BSB rider to get near it's limits. I've had more fun on older bikes with less refinement, but they ain't going to make bikes like that anymore

You see I drive mine all the time in sport and on the road I've never felt or noticed driver aids coming into play. I've only felt it literally twice on track day when I very slightly got off line through very high speed corner. Backend goes very light, butt cheeks tighten, I apply corrective steering and at the same time I feel the driver aids pulsating the rear brakes to bring back in line. That's the time it's only ever got involved, in low speed hairpin type corners to early on the throttle results in controllable slides to which the driver aids don't spoil. As I say though the car is always set to sport mode. :)

I've not driven the older 986 boxster but I find the 987 Caymans too easy and not as challenging to drive as the 997 platform. Yes the 996 and particular GT3 variants are very challenging to drive. The 997 is ideal for it gives me the involvement I enjoy along with good refinement. :)

Just feel the 991 has gone a little bit too far and the 911 risk loosing it's hardcore edge. No doubting the new 911 is going to be one of fastest cars on the road and easy to drive and the Turbo when it comes shall be mind blowing. After all the C2S laps the ring in 7:40 which is impressive and will be interesting to see what changes Porsche make to the 991 for the GT3 version. :)

Associate
...the new car is better, faster and more capable, so most will see it as the better car it is. I am looking forward to seeing one in the flesh as I'm still not sold on the photos yet. However I think the new car certainly has performance that's far more easily accessible to all and has lost what some would call that true 911 edgy feel and the amazing driving experience 911s give.

The new 991 just seems more GTR alike, driving fast made easier and less challenging.

Spot on. This is a good summary of the vibes I've gathered from the various reviews. I've seen a couple of cars in showrooms and they look good overall, but you're right that it looks bigger (although it's not that much bigger in reality).

Pending a drive, for me, the pros should be:
  • Extra performance
  • Sharper turn-in
  • Flatter cornering with PDCC
  • Improved interior

But the cons look to be:
  • Less challenging to drive
  • GT3 likely to lose it's current engine
  • More expensive

Looking forward to a drive to find out :)

Soldato
To be fair I've only driven the 997 on the Porsche handling circuit, which is designed to make the car unstable, so probably not a fair test. I just like the way that in the boxster you can really feel the car moving around (17" wheels probably help). My business partner has a PDK Cayman 3.4S and I agree it's almost too good - it would be fun on a trackday though :)

Back
Top Bottom