Sold a hard disk to some nice man

Associate
i would not waste 5minutes even thinking over this situation.

I would tell him to come get his money, give it back to him and end of story.

Some people are muppets, and its even worse when they are skint/tight buggers because there dumb sense gets mixed with their feelings of money.

this

Soldato
Exactly just bin old Hdd or stick them in a box forever....
I will never buy 2nd hand HDDs for this very reason. One bad knock in transit and they could be buggered.

i sold a load of stuff i was going to bin on ebay, got £400 for it all in the end..

Man of Honour
It has bad sectors why did you sell him a drive with bad sectors? You did check it before selling it to him right?

Your the one in the wrong.

It might depend on the level of testing, certain software will be much more thorough than others so what would show up as an error in one instance may not when using a different bit of software. HAz does mention running the Windows error check so presumably that came out as clear before sale.

So let me get this straight. Someone paid real money for a 160GB IDE drive... and we're two days away from 2012, right?

Maybe they were desparate for a drive to replace like for like? Or they may have wanted to use the drive circuitry to replace that of a defunct hard drive they already had - it would seem unlikely if they're complaining about bad sectors but it's just about possible.

Associate
I've run every possible scenario through an Excel spreadsheet and there is no outcome that doesn't involve either the OP or the nice man being killed. Suggest you strike first OP. The police will understand once you explain there are gigabytes involved.

Caporegime
Tbh. It isn't unreasonable to want a refund if something is faulty and if the buyer is 'tight' for wanting a refund then the seller is 'tight' fir bothering to sell something so worthless in the first place. I presume the buyer is poor/a student and is trying to build a system at minimal cost - having to accept a drive that is faulty and has a good chance of failing isn't on really.

Man of Honour
£30, as mentioned above*

The guy was driving an audi a4 fairly new and paid £20 for it, it may have been for a customer of his I dunno, still pretty sad as im sure the drive would have lived on past its date of final use.

That may well be the case but a HDD with a bad sector is like a very sexy woman who has a deformed pasty. You just don't want to go there.

Caporegime
Difference being is a scratch on a car is just cosmetic and can be easily fixed with some polishing, a drive with bad sectors could well be showing the first signs of an impending failure of the drive so it's understandable he'd not want to risk it, especially if he can genuinely only afford a second hand 160GB drive. It's not the loss of 32kb worth of space he's complaining about.

I'm erring towards this way of thinking... If the 64 errors are due to 64 head crashes then hell, no, I don't want that disk.

Back
Top Bottom