How To Check A Bike Is Stolen Or Not ?

Soldato
Hey Guys,

I'm looking to buy a bicycle, most probably 2nd hand, either from Ebay or locally but........

I want to make sure the bike isn't stolen first ? i am hoping i can get the frame number before i buy it, but don't really know how i'd go about checking ?

anybody got any idea ?

I don't wanna buy a bike only to get stopped and have it confiscated because its stolen, then have all the crap of proving i never stole it etc etc

Thanks

Associate
I have a Carrera Subway Ltd 2009 I want to get sell, along with a set of lights, a decent lock, a set of locking skewers and a bike computer (I bought it myself and have the receipts to prove it). The saddle and brake levers are not original (they were scratched when I came off it once so I replaced them with upgrades) Seriously, let me know if you're interested and I'll snap a few pictures. Funnily enough I bought it in 2009 to replace a Carrera Subway 2 that I'd bought in 2008 that was nicked ~4 months later.

Ignoring the above though and just answering the question: ask the seller to show you the proof of original purchase.

Soldato
Google suggests this place
https://www.bikeregister.com/bike-checker supported by metropolitan police force.

But unless it's a great bike. It's unlikely to be registered even with the police. People just don't keep a record of frame number, so when stolen have no way to give it to the police.

I have my bike registered with them. I was cycling into work on CS2 when I saw the police had a large tent outside the Royal London and were doing registrations. It was really busy so I guess quite a lot of bikes are registered with them.

Soldato
I'm looking to buy a bicycle, most probably 2nd hand, either from Ebay or locally but........

I want to make sure the bike isn't stolen first ? i am hoping i can get the frame number before i buy it, but don't really know how i'd go about checking ?

anybody got any idea ?

I don't wanna buy a bike only to get stopped and have it confiscated because its stolen, then have all the crap of proving i never stole it etc etc
I see your location is listed as Oxford, so whether a bike you're buying was previously stolen is immaterial.

If it isn't a stolen bike before you buy it, it will be one very shortly after...

Permabanned
Open your wallet, if you have a receipt then you bought it

If not, then you nicked it.

There is no other explanation that is valid in todays society.

Soldato
look at the ***** selling it... Kappa or Adidas = No!

/ On a serious note I gave the dude that bought my bike the reciept/warranty card with frame number on

Last edited:
Soldato
Check if its registered with the police, the frame number should be on the underside of the bike and the seller should be able to provide this information easily.

Lots of people don't bother registering their bikes though, so there is no 100% way for knowing it isn't stolen.

Soldato
I would just google the manufacturer and model, plus any details such as 'green wheels' or specific non-standard components.

I ride bikes and am on a few bike forums, people often post up if their bike has been nicked with these specific details, so something will show up.

Also if the description reads like the seller hasn't got a clue what he's selling, or you get it for ridiculously cheap, then something is probably fishy,

Associate
Unless its a really unique looking bike then there is very little chance you would get pulled over whilst out riding it. If things dont seem right with the seller then simply just dont buy it.

Associate
My top tips (as a police officer who regularly deals with bike theives):

- If it's really cheap (e.g. a recent £1k bike offered for £150), it's probably nicked.
- If buying through Gumtree or similar, but the seller's mobile number in the search box to see what else they are selling/have sold - more than one bike listed, beware.
- Ask where/when they bought it. Ask if they have the receipt/any other paperwork. If all questions draw a blank or iffy answers, take that in to consideration.
- ALWAYS meet the seller at their home address. Do not agree to meet at your address, in the local park, just round the corner from their house or just outside their house. Make sure you know exactly where they live.
- If you have any doubts about a particular bike, note all the details you can and call 101. Ask to speak to your neighbourhood policing officer. They will be able to check if there are any recent reports of theft of a similar bike. You can find the name(s) of your local PC and PCSO on www.police.uk

Soldato
OP
- If you have any doubts about a particular bike, note all the details you can and call 101. Ask to speak to your neighbourhood policing officer. They will be able to check if there are any recent reports of theft of a similar bike. You can find the name(s) of your local PC and PCSO on www.police.uk

I did this, and the lady checked the frame number for, said its clean so i brought it lol.

He told me he lost the receipt, but i'm gonna ride it down the station in the week and get it post coded to me and i brought a decent lock, i'll only to go to work and back on lol

Back
Top Bottom