Asus z68 v pro Broken cpu pin repair?

Caporegime
Hi just wanted to know if theres any repair shop that can repair/replace cpu socket? i have one broken pin and one possible broken off at the tip pin,i didnt do the damage it was purchased like this,ive searched and emailed everywhere to try and find someone who can replace the pins but no luck,contacted asus and they refused,even when i was willing to pay costs (suprise suprise) just wish it was a gigabyte board because i know 100% they would fix it for free

its brand new motherboard,i dont have cpu yet to test it,ive looked at the socket pin out map and the pin thats broken is pwr so it might be needed

would be very gratefull for any help or pointers to getting this motherboard repaired,thanks

heres pic of the socket

1zgyqgo.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
I very much doubt you can replace individual pins so it would have to be the whole socket.

I doubt that's a simple process either.

I wouldn't be surprised if motherboard manufacturers just replaced boards in this situation as it's probably not worth the time and expense to try and replace the socket.

Caporegime
OP
You might be right,however I'm only speaking from experience with same problem but lots of bent pins on a gigabyte x58 ud5,gigabyte were fantastic in repairing the pins/socket,even repaired for free so its not a big job or costly imo,asus however are a pain,I don't mind paying the cost as long as it can be fixed,gigabyte has an rma factory in kent,maybe this is why as asus has no UK based rma dpt? Anyone know of any motherboard repair firm that can fix this issue? I'm not alone with people having this trouble so it would help others out too

Caporegime
OP
I've emailed them and rang them,they say they do not provide this service and to contact local pc repair shop but can't provide list of repair firms,spoke to someone in Taiwan and us/uk,I've emailed asking for replacement used/refurbished motherboard and to charge me for CPU socket repair but no reply,its god awful customer service

Soldato
Local tv repair shops?

Long shot but they might have the facilities esp the larger ones

Either that there has to be someone on here that can help

Could have got this done for you ten years ago when I used to work for a 3rd party mobo manufacturer

Caporegime
You seem to be making a habit of this.

Do you get a lot of motherboards with damaged CPU socket pins?

If you buy user damaged products you can't expect to get them repaired for free.

The manufacturer also doesn't have to repair user damaged products if they don't wish to.

Gigabtye may have done it out of goodwill but that's likely all it was.

Caporegime
OP
You seem to be making a habit of this.

Do you get a lot of motherboards with damaged CPU socket pins?

If you buy user damaged products you can't expect to get them repaired for free.

The manufacturer also doesn't have to repair user damaged products if they don't wish to.

Gigabtye may have done it out of goodwill but that's likely all it was.

This is the first damaged board I've bought,was told it had bent pins which I've straightened but one was broken when I got the board,your right in what your saying however it doesn't answer my question on how and where can I get this fixed,if gigabyte can repair damaged CPU sockets then why not asus? And where do asus send their damaged CPU sockets to be repaired? They keep bigging up their green credentials about soy ink printed boxes yet they want me to throw away a new motherboard and buy another all for a broken CPU pin?

BTW I'm willing to pay whatever it costs

BTW I'm willing to pay what it costs

Last edited:
Soldato
but lots of bent pins on a gigabyte x58 ud5,gigabyte were fantastic in repairing the pins/socket

A big difference in bent pins and missing/snapped pins.

BTW I'm willing to pay whatever it costs

BTW I'm willing to pay what it costs

About £140 then, for a new motherboard.

I think the Asus refusing to do anything is down to the fact that they would replace it, charging you for a replacement in the process, which would work out cheaper for you just to buy a replacement locally. Also asus will re-cycle the board and all its salvageable components rather than just stick it in a skip. Its unfair to suggest they lack 'green' credentials just because they won't help you out.

Are you still in contact with the original owner? Might be possible for the owner to run an RMA for you claiming it was like that on delivery.

Caporegime
OP
thats easy to say when you have anice shiny new asus board in your sig,trust me ive dealt with asus and gigabyte a lot and repaired a few boards and gigabyte wouldnt bat an eyelid in repairing this

anyway asus aside does anyone know where i can send this for repair?

EDIT i dont want to buy a new mb i want this one repaired which can be done,i dont want refund from original owner,if no luck in repair ill attempt repair myself but only as a last resort,it might even work yet idk i havnt got 2600k chip to test with atm

its like throwing away a car because the brake light bulb has blown

Last edited:
Soldato
Have a look around the net and see what the pin-out is actually for, might find its for something the chip might live without in that case.

Can I just ask why the urgency to get what IMO is a board fit for the skip repaired? Just seems allot of effort where it seems you'd be better off cutting your losses.

Caporegime
OP
point is it shouldnt be such an effort,it was a breeze with gigabyte,why dont asus adopt the same attitude when it comes to this kind of repair? i dont mind paying the cost which shouldnt be new mb costs

the pin out is marked pwr,its a new board and all it needs is this fixing,

Soldato
Becasue Asus don't supply that service. Its simple as that really. Its not an easy thing to just take a motherboard manufactured in an automated plant and then get someone to manually replace it. It requires people, tooling and a department just for RMA repairs.

Try contacting gigabyte, just because it isn't one of their boards, does not mean they cannot help you.

Caporegime
OP
ive contacted gigabyte before and was told they dont repair other brands of motherboard,i will ask again and see what they say but they are on holiday i think still,i agree with what your saying but why oh why isnt there a dedicated repair firm to handle this kind of problem? in not like rocket science is it?they can make em but they cant fix em

its easy enough for gigabyte but too hard for asus

asus and gigabyte aside,im just looking for a skilled enough pc repair shop who would be willing to tackle this motherbaord

Last edited:
Caporegime
but why oh why isnt there a dedicated repair firm to handle this kind of problem? in not like rocket science is it?they can make em but they cant fix em

Because a new CPU socket probably has hundreds of connections to the motherboard (one for each pin?).

The time, effort and cost involved is probably more than you'd have to pay for a new motherboard.

I'm not totally convinced that Gigabyte actually 'repair' CPU sockets.

With what it costs them for a new motherboard they're more likely I would think just to replace the whole thing.

Back
Top Bottom