Agility 3 Vs M4 Vs Force 3A

Associate
Im looking at an SSD now (ideally only want 30/40GB, but 60 is fine) to be my OS drive.

The Force 3 is cheapest and has the best read/write speeds. The agility 3 is close behind and the M4 is the slowest (only just though).

Out of these, the M4 is the best, but I dont see how, just people saying "Its naff, get the M4".

Afterall they all have 3 years warranty, so if it fails and takes Windows with it, surely they'll replace it? (not a big issue for me as I get cheap Windows through my uncles company).

If I have the SSD as my main boot drive and it fails, whats the worst that could happen?

Associate
a lot of people are jumping on the OCZ is crap get an M4 wagon.

a lot of the sandforce problems seem to have been fixed now with a firmware update but there are still a few failures.

Real world there wont be any difference between them. The M4 is alittle bigger which could be a big selling point for you but then again its not cheap.

Your right though if it fails its not exactly the end of the world if all your docs are on another drive.

Associate
OP
Sorted then, it will be 100% OS (maybe a few select programs that never/ rarely update), but 64 will be more than enough.

Kind of made this thread pointless now 'cause I just found a M4 for £69.

Associate
The sandforce issue effected all Sandforce drives, its got very little to do with OCZ and it would seem OCZ both sell the most ssd's and were the most active of the companies working with Sandforce to fix it.

They also offered the most potential fixes, which leads to more beta firmwares and testing and more users who would jump on new firmwares and still not have a fix and sometimes have more problems.

Sandforce had an issue, I'm not sure if it was entirely down to sandforce or, it seems it had a lot to do with Intel's sata controller changing drivers and fixing things that were broken or not working in the controller.

I really haven't followed it closely enough to say for sure, but the problems really weren't afaik a single thing to do with OCZ other than that the problem should likely have been caught before sale, and holding back selling the drives till the problem was actually fixed was a very possible "fix". Though again, afaik some of the reasons for the problems were changing drivers on the Intel sata controller.
Much the same way the grey screen of death for 5870/50's was at least in part caused by a windows power management update that caused the way it told gpu's to change power state to change, which caused the gpu to drop to wrong clocks/voltages at the wrong time and then you got a crash.

Sometimes problems only occur after release, when a range of several things change and combine to cause a new problem, blaming OCZ for that is just daft, especially as again, it effected all of the new sandforce drives from all the manufacturers AND Ocz did more than any other company to get it fixed, which also led to the same drives from all the other manufacturers getting the fix. ALL the bios's on Sandforce drives come from sandforce, OCZ add little tweaks and rename them but its still sandforce bioses.

I've had 4 Crucial ssd's die, one samsung and a few crucials be fine. Crap happens.

Soldato
M4 has a slower write speed but has proved more stable the consensus is that it's the best because the experience users have had has been the most positive.

Back
Top Bottom