Forgot how bad job searching was :(

Soldato
Keep at it whilst looking for a new job.

But when I got home it truly made my feel unhappy. It's only a small company with 4 other employees but the boss (owner) seems to be a bit of a tool. Pretty much shouted in my face for having my hands in my pockets. :confused:

I could understand if I was working with customers but all's I was doing is packing items and taking sales online.

Associate
ive been on the sick since 13th dec with fluid in mylung and a severe chest infection thats only just cleared up. due back at next on friday. i just know theyre going to be heartless and dismiss me. i applied for a job at santander yesterday and got a call back within the hour, passed the interview on the phone, called today and did some tests, passed those, now ive got an assessment day on the 12th, so fingers crossed. will be doing self/group competency questions so ifanyone has any tips or advise for competency questions, also will be doing a role play telephone call as well as numeracy skills etc. really hope i get it. worked inthat drivel of a factory for 8 months now. i can honestly say money is not everything. at £10 an hour its still not worth it. this jobs 14k its a so so wage but hopefully ill be happier in a nice warm office answering inbound calls

GAC

GAC

Soldato
well just got a reply from the email i sent to chris grayling, its from the jobcenter plus's central office wanting to know who i am to see if they can help me.

should be entertaining to see if i can get a straight answer or just more hogwash from them now. i bet il get sent a big bunddle of paper work that will amount to nothing usefull.

Soldato
Degree educated and currently applying for jobs (mainly just admin stuff maybe I should aim higher? but i've been out of uni for while whilst applying to med but missed grade think i've passed grad applying threshold its like 2yrs after you left uni so i'm like YEP i'm screwed....), living on JSA at moment cause I had to leave home, been on JSA roughly 6 months now.

What is this new deal stuff about? they arn't going to send me on retarded training courses are they? especially since i've got a sodding degree just things are tough. And some companies wont hire you for grunt jobs BECAUSE you've got a degree! (admin grunts that is)

Apparently it's full time for like 6 weeks.... Ok so i'm going to sit there all day apply to all jobs I can in 10 minutes then sit there for 8hrs?!

anybody familiar with how it works?

How long do you have to be off JSA for before you reapply to it?
Tempted to go off JSA for 2 months use savings and then just go back on to avoid it if thats the case! (Maybe have a job that sounds like the better option).

Last edited:

GAC

GAC

Soldato
well once you have worked 16 hours you have tio sign off and can sign back on, so if you can find a local shop or something and do 16 hours sign off and sign back.

as for new deal iv been siging for 7 months now and nothings been said yet, but as far as i know its not training other than form filling and how to use a pc. beyound that iv heard of people being used as free labor for comunity projects and the like, which is nice and that but how this is supposed to help you find work faster is beyound me, its just there to try and force you in to a job, because your not trying hard enough in there eyes.

Associate
well once you have worked 16 hours you have tio sign off and can sign back on, so if you can find a local shop or something and do 16 hours sign off and sign back.

as for new deal iv been siging for 7 months now and nothings been said yet, but as far as i know its not training other than form filling and how to use a pc. beyound that iv heard of people being used as free labor for comunity projects and the like, which is nice and that but how this is supposed to help you find work faster is beyound me, its just there to try and force you in to a job, because your not trying hard enough in there eyes.

I was never put onto new deal either however after a year of claiming likely you will be asked to see an advisor who are useless and you probably have been seeing for every couple of months anyway. Then they will say something along the lines of we weren't able to help you so we are having to send you to place that will.

Soldato
I was never put onto new deal either however after a year of claiming likely you will be asked to see an advisor who are useless and you probably have been seeing for every couple of months anyway. Then they will say something along the lines of we weren't able to help you so we are having to send you to place that will.

Yeah I don't mind the fact they can't help me. I don't expect it anyway just don't want to be forced into wasting time. Or being used as free labour pfffffff

Although i'm claiming benefit I am doing a lot with my days (Figured I should stay constructive in other ways if i'm not working). Banned myself from PC games etc etc and don't watch much tv BECAUSE i'm on benefit. So it's not all bad :D

Associate
Im going back to claiming JSA after finishing my Royal Mail temp job at xmas, shame but RM wont be taking on anyone else and I tried my hardest to get a perm job. Im still applying for jobs that relate to my degree but if i cannot find anything by july (will be 1 year since my graduation) im going to start applying to either the Royal Navy or Army.

Soldato
Degree educated and currently applying for jobs (mainly just admin stuff maybe I should aim higher? but i've been out of uni for while whilst applying to med but missed grade think i've passed grad applying threshold its like 2yrs after you left uni so i'm like YEP i'm screwed....)

Sorry that this is a bit off-topic, but I picked up on this bit of your post in particular. By grad applying do you mean graduate recruitment/training schemes? Is there a limit of two years after leaving uni?! If so it means I have until November to complete any graduate training applications :(

Soldato
Bit of advice - if you want the jobcentre to look at helping you with the cost of training, ask to book an interview with a personal advisor, the person who just signs you on is not trained to know the full range of training and provision available for everyone, and is unlikely to give you a helpful answer!

When you see the advisor it would be helpful to prepare in advance - provide details of the training you would like funded, the costs of such a course and a local provider with whom the course is available, and some details of why it would be especially useful for you - bring details of jobs it would enable you to apply for, that you'd stand a good chance of getting if you went on the course/took your qualification....

The advisor should then consider whether it is appropriate to make an application for funding via a process called Low Value Procurement (LVP) -accessing funding for training that is set aside through something called the Flexible Support Fund (FSF).

Basically for the advisor this involved doing some paperwork, essentially creating a business case, which is then sent off to the job centre district office to see if the training is worth funding, essentially they will decide on the evidence provided whether it is viable and worthwhile in terms of *significantly* boosting someones chances of finding work.

Be realistic - if you've never ever worked in IT, then they're unlikely to fund an industry level IT related course for you, but if theres something you'd like as an addition (perhaps a course you want to do as not having done it yet is holding you back from getting/applying for jobs you may otherwise get, as you already have some of the relevant skills, quals and experience) then it stands a fair chance...!

As an advisor at the job centre myself who has put together such applications for people...I have not yet had one turned down where in my own mind it was a worthwhile course and a realistic boost for that persons job prospects.

The reality of the labour market is considered too - you may struggle to get funding for a course or qualification in which there are very very few related jobs in the local area, unless you are demonstrating a willingness to look for work elsewhere and show consistent evidence of doing this.

If approved, you will do the course with whichever provider gets awarded the funding by the job centre (not necessarily your chosen provider or the one you got costs from). There is no guarantee of funding, its all on a discretionary basis, and there are some local differences based on area, but they can and do fund courses through the process I have given an overview of.

Now theres not funding for anyone to do a PHD or whatever, its simply not logical or affordable for the government to be funding really high grade and expensive qualifications all the time for people who are essentially job ready by virtue of already being qualified (and the bar by which the government considers people as 'job ready' is quite low, most 'basic skills' courses delivered/funded 'for' the job centre focus on people attaining Level 1 or sometimes level 2 numeracy and literacy, which is really quite basic when considered in the round).

It is worth noting that this process to fund training is not available for people who are on the Work Programme (or available for those on Flexible New Deal when that was still running) - in such instances all responsibility for funding is past onto the provider, essentially the job centre pays the provider to help you and its up the provider to decide how best to use any such funding.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sorry that this is a bit off-topic, but I picked up on this bit of your post in particular. By grad applying do you mean graduate recruitment/training schemes? Is there a limit of two years after leaving uni?! If so it means I have until November to complete any graduate training applications :(

entirely depends on the company, some want within 2 years, others within 1 years, other are lenient

Soldato

Double post sorry delete

Soldato

Hey dude,

It's not like that for all graduate schemes only some i've heard. They don't like it if its been more than 2 years since you graduated and you are applying to graduate schemes/training schemes. They want you to apply within 2 years. Like I said though don't get down about it because not all schemes are like this only some.

Do a little bit of googling and you should hopefully turn up some more info. :p

Also I don't know what they say if you have genuine reasons? I mean I applied to medicine and spent 2 years trying for that that's why I didn't apply to grad schemes so surely it's classed a good use of my time! what have you been doing since you graduated/ what degree? I mean some people travel aswell etc etc

GAC

GAC

Soldato
Bit of advice - snip

yeah iv spoken with an advisor (and the manager) at my jobcenter and the way they described it is that its ONLY for training to advance your current career path. the manager used an example of a woman who wanted training in the region of £500 and had a letter from a company saying they would take her on once trained, but she was refused as it was a new career path rather than something adding to her current career progression.

and seeing as im after training for something new i have no hope in hell of any such training acording to them. now maybe its just my jobcenter and they have sod all funds with being a northern town with no real industry i dont know.

but it seems rather bizzzare i cant even get some form of careers advice other than "go and talk to colleges and training companys" because when i have aproached either they both ask what do i want to do and i ask about careers advice and get told they dont do that and i should ask at the jobcenter.

so im back at square one none the wiser and rather anoyed that the place thats supposed to help doesnt.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
problem is im looking at a less physical career path as iv done something to my right leg that for now means the more im on it the more it hurts. even though i can work out at a gym and walk the dog for a couple of hours. anything more seems to bugger it up.

as for what training, im not exactly sure what i want to do, hence wanting careers advice. because of the leg problem its a bit of pain as im 34 now and apart from a couple of warehouse jobs its always been hard graft for me, so no matter what id like to do id be starting over completely.

Soldato
I will be doing this soon i think.... Really starting to hate the way the company i am at is being run. Constant lies and cover ups and deceiving and bitching between female staff going off.

Nothing that involves me but still gets on my nerves and makes me not want to be apart of it. Plus i am doing £300 work miles a month and only getting £16.50 back off my company.

I was a painter/decorator for 5 years so i have something to do whilst i would be looking for a new job. ( hate this job to, reason why i stopped doing it, but needs be and all that.....)

May go back to college aswell.

Soldato
problem is im looking at a less physical career path as iv done something to my right leg that for now means the more im on it the more it hurts. even though i can work out at a gym and walk the dog for a couple of hours. anything more seems to bugger it up.

as for what training, im not exactly sure what i want to do, hence wanting careers advice. because of the leg problem its a bit of pain as im 34 now and apart from a couple of warehouse jobs its always been hard graft for me, so no matter what id like to do id be starting over completely.

Might be worthwhile asking to speak to a disability employment advisor (this is the job I do at the job centre), if your health is such that you are having to consider a different area of work than you have done before then this is also something that should be taken into consideration when looking at funding training.

Soldato

Tell them this mate.

Back
Top Bottom