Project/build log - Bankrupt Me

Soldato
Now i'm kinda starting this off a little late seeing as its been built for some time now, however this thread is more for future developement than the initial build itself.

I always wanted to try watercooling, when i first caught on it was all very exotic and fancy but i never had the money, knowledge or resourses to try it back then.
i had a good 6-7 years sidetracked from computers etc, job and cars took over my life, but circumstances changed, i found myself in a position where i could build myself a system, a system i could be proud of, and i had the time and money to do it with, well this is the story of that build.

basic spec run down of initial build

• Intel i5 2500k
  • Asrock z68 extreme 7
  • Corsair Vengeance 16gb
  • 2x 6950 CF'd
  • Lepa B850 psu

i'll get started with a look back.

PHASE:1
unfortunately i neglected to take lots of pictures with the initial build(will take loads in future.)
DSCF0570.jpg

IMAG0069.jpg

so here is what i started with, i put my system into an OCUK prewatercooled case 650D, which was great i loved it, but it wasnt my handy work:o i couldnt quite get comfortable with knowing that, i felt like i had cheated, so i had to right that.

PHASE:2
so roll on phase 2, after a month i decided it was time to get my hands in there and tinker.
so the order went in:

• 4x Bitfenix spectre 120mm blue LED fans
  • XSPC EX360mm rad
  • XSPC front single bay res
  • various hose fittings
  • Lamptron FC2 fan controller
  • Masterclear Blue UV tubing
  • Mayhems Oil Black fluid
DSCF0666.jpg

whilst this order with in the post i decided to ready my case for the larger Rad and whilst i had the dremel out i thought i'd take out the grill in front of the front 200mm fan.
DSCF0660.jpg

DSCF0662.jpg

DSCF0663.jpg

so with the case ready to receive the new parts, when the order came in i dove straight in there like a bull in a china shop as i usually do:rolleyes:, in the process of plumbing the loop together i managed to well and truely bugger the threads on the EK pump...
order goes in for new pump.

• Laing DDC pump with EK X-TOPRev2
couple of days later i recieve pump and resume build, a little more careful this time.

fitted up ready for leak testing.
DSCF0670.jpg

overnight leak test successful, now it was time to put my system back into the case.
DSCF0676.jpg

WOOHOO, my first attempt at building my own loop.
PCfront.jpg

WC1.jpg

WC2.jpg

now with that out of the way i was a lot more happy with the system, however there were still a couple of issues that were bugging me, firstly
the mismatched graphics cards, so the sapphire had to go, in place went a 2nd MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III PE/OC to keep my first one company, there we go much better.
IMAG0141.jpg

over the next couple of months I attempted to sort the cabling out numerous times(still not happy with it), i was inspired by a mod i seen in the cases gallery so i had to give it a try.
however my effort was not quite so polished, but it has proven to be effective.
pc6-1.jpg

Then a product came in to OCUK that i just had to have for my system.
Ballistix Tactical Tracer ram, so it was out with the vengeance in with the Ballistix.
pc2.jpg

pc3.jpg

pc6.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
well that pretty much brings us to the present day.

Recently i have been getting the itch to spend more money on the system.
now its not entirely necessary, but when has that every stopped anyone.
i have today decided to go ahead with earlier plans to add the graphics cards to the loop, so i think its time for Phase 3

PHASE:3
today i finalised and ordered the parts for the next phase of the build.

Phobya Xtreme 200 Radiator
EK Water Blocks EK-VGA Supreme HF Bridge Edition - EN (Nickel)
EK Water Blocks EK-FC Bridge DUAL Parallel 3-Slot
Cooler Master MegaFlow 200 Blue LED Case Fan
Masterkleer tubing PVC 16/10mm (3/8ID) Clear
Various Compression fittings, both for new parts and to tidy up existing hose routing.
A couple of bottles of Mayhems X1 UV Blue Premixed Watercooling Fluid 1L
and some rubber fan mountings.

just waiting delivery now, cant wait to get stuck in.
check back here later next week for updates.

in the mean time, now the question is what will be the most effective order of parts/hose routing? any advice on this matter?
It currently goes
res->pump->cpu->rad->res

i was thinking with the 360mm rad at the top of the case and the 200mm rad at the front at the bottom.
Res->pump->graphics->360mm rad->cpu->200mm rad->res

Soldato
OP
i just wanted to try something a little different, its been done before but its not something you see everyday.
i didnt use that hotswap bay so i removed it, there was a massive amount of room up top unused, so i thought why the hell not.

Soldato
OP
check post No2 for graphics card WC plans, parts on order!:D

will get some screens of idle + load temps tonight, but its low-mid 20's on idle, no higher than 49-50 during stress testing.
thats running 4.4ghz

Associate
Sounds like its holding the temps well at those speeds... Have you tried for faster? I must admit I do love the Sandy Bridge rigs for the temps.. They require less power and dont give out so much heat...

As for the GPU's... What are you planning on using for the loop? A single rad or a dual rad somehow??

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ok have decided i'm going to ditch the front bay reservior in favor of a tube res.
got a thread on wanted section of MM, if i dont get anywhere before the start of the week, may just buy new.

but apart from that i have just been thinking a little more about the layout of the loop, i'm unsure wether to have the rads in serial or between the components, my thinking is if i put a rad between the graphics and the CPU the water going into the cpu will be cooler, but i get the feeling it isnt as simple as that, plus if i go down this route the hose routing will be untidy, where as if i have the 2 rads together it will keep it all neat and tidy, whats everyone elses thoughts on this matter?

knocked up a couple of very quick mockups of what i mean.
Red - Rad
Grey - Fans
Blue - Pump
Green - GPU's

So, this?
OPTION2.jpg

Or This?
OPTION1.jpg

or if anyone has any other entirely different suggestions, please do contribute.:)

Associate
I am going to try and run mine like this

nohose.jpg

The yellow tubing on the right goes behind the drive bays so its not visible and then behind the top rad so its not visible there either

Associate
That setup looks like it will be very tidy when finished, however an absolute ***** to route the hoses:eek:.

I just placed an order for an Alphacool Cape Fuzion Core 30 - Acetal - Black.
On thinking about it i couldnt be bothered messing about for used parts in the end.
this also means due to size it will only go in the one place, vertically on the right hand side of the motherboard.

its not that bad... took me 15mins max, you just push the tube from the front and grab it with long nose pliers

Soldato
OP
Well today i took delivery of the last parts for the loop.
before i sign off and get to work with this loop i'll share some photos of the parts going in.
IMAG0301.jpg

IMAG0303.jpg

IMAG0304.jpg

IMAG0305.jpg

IMAG0307.jpg

IMAG0309.jpg

the ek multioption res x2 400 advanced Res is only a tremporary measure, i have an Alphacool Cape Fuzion Core 30 - Acetal - Black. on order however there has been an issue with the order, however OCUK are on the case, so just waiting out for that, but in the meantime this will be used(its a little big but it'll fit in the case), hopefully the swapover will be done the next time i drain the loop.

anyway, thats all for now, wish me luck i'm away to go break my computer:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom