PC will not shut down. Help needed

Soldato
My system has developed a funny problem.

A few weeks ago my PSU started to play up, the system would switch itself off randomly, it was as if the power had been cut off.
I have now replaced the PSU with a Corsair HX1050, My PC lives once again, no more random shutdowns.

ran the system for 3 days without any shut down. This morning I decided to shut my PC down. Click Start, Click Shut down.

The system shut down like normal, but as i was walking away it restarted:confused:
I shut it down again, the system shut down as normal and after a few seconds restarted:confused::confused:
I have gone through all the BIOS setting etc and its still the same:confused::confused::confused:

What could be causing this issue. Please someone help

Last edited:
Soldato
Try resetting the CMOS (but this will mean redoing any overclocks you have).

Usually help in these sort of situations.

Also try seeing what your Shut Down button is doing by right clicking on it and properties.

If the problem continues, it could be a windows problem!

Soldato
Create a batch script to shutdown your PC. You can do this by creating a txt file and putting in it 'shutdown -s -t 00' (without the '). Save it and then rename it and remove the .txt at the end and put .bat. Hit that and see if the PC shuts down and stays off.

Associate
Your problem is very simple - Possessed computer. youll need to exorcise your computer im afraid and that might cause some hard drive instability =(

On a serious note though, although im crap with computers but could a electrical surge cause yoru computer to restart again? like if theres enough power going through the computer at shut down to kick start the start up again?

Associate
Check BIOS again that you have not got keyboard power on enabled since you may have a sticky key. Check the front panel headers are correctly inserted on mb since they may be misplugged. Next unplug the internet connection and see if thats keeping you from shutting down. Lastly it may be a driver issue so do a clean boot

Last edited:
Associate
this used to be caused by the Computer in device manager not being ACPI and showing as standard computer instead, the solution was to change this to ACPI

This was about 10 years ago though lol so probably not relevant

Associate
this used to be caused by the Computer in device manager not being ACPI and showing as standard computer instead, the solution was to change this to ACPI

This was about 10 years ago though lol so probably not relevant

You could also unscrew some of the valves if it's a pre-silicon computer.

Back
Top Bottom