Skoda

Soldato
OP
Ok, after a quick thread on Briskoda regarding Thermostats and CTS's along with info from owners on here, i decided to first try replacing the thermostat to see if that cured my temperature problem (running at 75-80 instead of 90).

Getting to the thermostat wasn't too bad, i removed the upper and lower engine covers and loosened/moved the plate holding the N249 etc out of the way. Once that was done i removed the hose from the thermostat housing. This is where it got tricky. I got the top 10mm bolt out no problem at all, the bottom one proved to be a little more difficult. After much fiddling and swearing i managed to get the lower bolt loose (and then drop it - doh!). Once that was done i replaced the thermostat and seal, put the housing back on and replaced everything in reverse order.

A quick top up with some fresh Anti-freeze and water and a good run and all is well again. Temp is holding at 90 exactly.

Certainly a job i would do again :)

Associate
:) I had to use about a foot long worth of extensions.

BTW, Im knocking up some more heat shields for the coil pack wiring if youre interested in the next few weeks.

Looks like this - excuse the dirty rocker cover.

shield2.JPG

Last edited:
Associate
Just a fiver inc postage to cover my time and material cost.

I havent touched any of that, havent needed to. Have replace the Y breather with a silicone item though, upgraded the DV to an ally one (not sure why), rear ARB and remap. Thats it I think.

Soldato
OP
Yeah i'll have one!

My Y breather is a silicone one as well. I need to replace the pipe that follows that down to the front of the engine block as its split in two places (currently taped up with insulation tape!)

cehzwwbwkkgrhqyokp0e0vk.jpg

That one!

Soldato
its not uncommon to see the loom for the coils in a very sorry state. the heat makes the insulation go brittle and fall apart, so the protection will be a useful addition

Soldato
OP
Looking into tuning options for after i get married (April).

I was originally looking at a Stage 1 remap, however i am now considering...

Stage 2
Enlarged DP & Sports Cat
Exhaust System
Silicone TIP

I've also read that i will need a 4bar FPR? Already got the Intercooler which is the most expensive thing (for me, anyway) so it seems daft not to save up a bit extra and do it properly.

Soldato
OP
Thats one thing i didn't consider.

I'm not really that clued up on the whole '"Stage" thing... done a lot of reading up on it all but as per usual, peoples opinions/experiences vary massively.

Soldato
TBH on my car which is standard other than a rear anti roll bar my generic stage 1 Revo map is plenty for the car.

I dabbled with the idea of going to stage 2 but decided that it was probably too much for the rest of the package.

Soldato
OP
TBH on my car which is standard other than a rear anti roll bar my generic stage 1 Revo map is plenty for the car.

I dabbled with the idea of going to stage 2 but decided that it was probably too much for the rest of the package.

The biggest expense does seem to be the IC. I thought seeing as i had that, Stage 2 wouldn't exactly be hugely expensive.

Soldato
Yeah I didn't notice any difference in ride quality.

Phil, yeah you might as well go for stage 2 as you have the IC which is the limiting factor normally with the little side mount jobbie being a bit out of its depth beyond a basic map.

I've read that the difference between stage 1 and 2 is the same as stock to stage 1. If so then :eek: and yes, you may well need an uprated clutch :p

Back
Top Bottom